PDA

View Full Version : Fox evol owners

esr250r86
03-19-2008, 11:10 PM
HI, I am in the market for a new set of front shocks and am prob going to purchase a set of fox float evols. My question is, do they leak out air everytime you are done riding? So do I have to air them back up everytime I am going to go riding again?Thanks.

bluebaron
03-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't have them but my buddy does. You're are suppose to check the pressure every time you go riding. Its really easy and quick.

kawabunga
03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
They don't lose air within a ride unless there's somthing wrong. They lose air pressure when you let them sit, they're just like tires that way. If they sit too long, the air diffuses out. It's a good idea to check them before every ride anyway. It's real quick and easy, and if you're going to pay that much for shocks, it kinda makes sense to take care of them. If you're not willing to do that, don't even buy a set.
I will say they are very nice shocks though and I do recommend them. I'm very happy with mine.

JRP
03-20-2008, 07:16 AM
I have them on my 450r, and they dont lose air everytime you ride, unless you let them sit, jsut like kawabunga said. I check them every 2 rides, and it only takes 5minutes.

esr250r86
03-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Ok,thanks for the replys.Yeah,Ive heard they lose air during rides so you have to constantly be checking them.but sounds like from sitting is when they lose air which makes sense in a way.but yeah i dont mind the checking part at all.I have to check my tire pressure everytime I ride and fluids,etc so just something on the list of riding chores!ha.well they sound like theyre good shocks and Im prob gonna get a set of fronts and podium rear.so Ill post how I like em when I do get them.Thanks for the information guys.anything else I should be aware about on these shocks?

JRP
03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
dont get fusterated when you first put the shocks on, and theyd ont work for you. It takes LOTS of ride time and adjustments to get them just right. Lets say this.... Ive had mine for just over a year, and i still dont have them completely dialed in. I have them set to where it feels good, btu I think they could be a little better.

kawabunga
03-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I havn't had as much trouble adjusting, like JRP said, but they do take time and a bit of experimentation. It did take me a while to get it as well. The reason for that is because of all the adjustment you have available. Changing air pressure in one chamber will affect a lot and especially changing both of them. Experiment, find out what works and what doesn't. Also, because of all of the adjustability, you can set your suspension for different terrains very quickly and easily. It's quite nice to have that ability.

One other thing I would recommend is sending them in to get rebuilt every season or two. It all depends on how much you ride though. If you race quite a bit it would probably be a good idea to do it every year. Fox is really good to work with when you send stuff in. Mine were on my quad when I bought it and to be honest, I wasn't real impressed with them. But I sent them in and had them rebuilt (turned out there was something wrong with one, and they also had not been serviced in almost 2 years) and when I got them back I was MUCH happier. It made a huge difference.
Something to consider.

ryanowarrior
03-20-2008, 06:45 PM
dosent the change in weather temp affect the air pressure too?? like if its really cold out or something like that??? dunno heard it does

kawabunga
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ryanowarrior
dosent the change in weather temp affect the air pressure too?? like if its really cold out or something like that??? dunno heard it does

Yes it does. They're just like tires, they're both filled with air. When air gets colder it "shrinks" and gets more dense. That's why you need to put more air in your tires during the winter. Same rules apply to float shocks. If it gets colder before the next time you ride with them, you'll need to put more air inside them to get the same amount of air pressure.
It's no big deal though, really easy to do.

esr250r86
03-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Sounds good.Thanks for the replys.Yeah I heard about the different chambers of air and so forth so im going to have to experiment like you guys said. They sound like you can really get em dialed to your riding style.well see how it goes!