PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust confusion....

tdmopar59
03-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Well i did the chassis skid plate, swing arm skid plate, sprocket, and then i have a k and n sitting the garage for when i get my exhaust. But what the heck exhaust should i get!!! lol... i am in between HMF and Yoshimura... which would you get and why? I am leaning towards Yoshimura....

jrafter
03-19-2008, 10:58 PM
i have a yoshi and like it a lot......it has a nice sound to it and i liked the gain. jmo

Phillburt57
03-20-2008, 01:19 AM
It kind of depends on preference really. I don't know what kind of restrictions you have but the HMF has a very high decible level and I know guys that have been checked and have gotten warnings. I know a guy that has the Yoshimura and it is very quiet with the spark arrestor in it. All in all it's really up to you. I really like the grunt that my Powercore 4 has.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShWtocRW0WI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShWtocRW0WI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
HMF is deffinately better than the Yoshimura! With that choice I wouldnt even think about the Yoshi.

mcwilly
03-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
HMF is deffinately better than the Yoshimura! With that choice I wouldnt even think about the Yoshi.

LOL, and I feel the exact opposite.

I was originally undecided between the HMF and the Yoshi myself. I wound up going w/ a full Yoshi system and have NO regrets whatsoever. Looks, sounds and performs great.

tdmopar59
03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
are you guys running the yoshi with or without the low decibel insert?? i was thinking if i get it i would probaly take it out... anybody have sound clips of yoshi??

08400EX
03-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

I will grant you that HMF is the best gain for the money since they are so cheap.. well before the Lexx system came out. BUT the HMF is no where near the quality of components, construction and design of the Yoshi.

Just a few quick comparisons:

HMF has welded bracket to the can vs the Yoshi Rubber isolated wrap around bracket with billet spacer. You will eventually see cracks in the HMF bracket while the Yoshi setup will last for ages AND is easily replaceable if there ever is a problem.

The HMF has a "static" diameter pipe going to the can vs the Yoshi increasing diameter pipe. This helps eliminate exhaust reversion. If you don't understand the ramifications of this search Google for exhaust reversion.

The HMF pipe is permanently attached to the "mid pipe" while the Yoshi uses a slip fit with tension springs. permanently attached mid pipes are prone to crack in this area while slip fits will never crack here. PLUS, it makes maint on the quad or canister MUCH easier.

I can go on and on...

There is no comparison here except which one you can budget for. If you want cheap get an HMF, if you want superior quality of design and components get the Yoshi.

tdmopar59
03-20-2008, 07:50 AM
well i have seen them very comparibly priced... any differences in gains?

08400EX
03-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by tdmopar59
are you guys running the yoshi with or without the low decibel insert?? i was thinking if i get it i would probaly take it out... anybody have sound clips of yoshi??

I am running mine without the insert although I did install a spare Big Gun USFS spark arrester I had which fit perfectly (see photo).

It still is not as loud as my Big Gun Race series was and also not as loud as the HMFs I have heard. Sound is fanatastic.

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/images/b-spark-arrestor.jpg

hornetgod13
03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
HMF has welded bracket to the can vs the Yoshi Rubber isolated wrap around bracket with billet spacer. You will eventually see cracks in the HMF bracket while the Yoshi setup will last for ages AND is easily replaceable if there ever is a problem.

You're the first I've seen claim that HMF brackets crack. Have you owned an HMF? Do you know this for a fact? It concerns me if it's actually true.

As I read this thread I think several are defending the purchase of the exhaust they already have.

mcwilly
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

As I read this thread I think several are defending the purchase of the exhaust they already have.

Isnt that always the case? :D

anybody have sound clips of yoshi??
This is the day after I installed my Yoshi.
video link (http://media.putfile.com/messing-around-32)

08400EX
03-20-2008, 08:29 AM
You're the first I've seen claim that HMF brackets crack. Have you owned an HMF? Do you know this for a fact? It concerns me if it's actually true.

I have owned 3 HMFs, you couldn't give me another one for free.

... and yes I have seen them crack, rivets come loose, crack around the rivets etc. A quick search on other forums and you can find even more... heck go to the HMF forum and you can see lots of that stuff.

I will also ask the same question as I value your judgment when you have actually compared products, have you owned a Yoshi??

Isn't that par for the course around here?

Over the years I have used HMF, FMF, Big Gun, White Brothers, Two Brothers, and many other I can't remember. I am more impressed with the Yoshi as far as design and construction than any I have used.

I don't own stock in any of then and could care less. I also did not buy an exhaust based on the cost and/or popularity as many do. I based my purchase on quality of components and recognizing quality design based on 20 years of experience designing and building performance exhaust.

I am not implying that the Yoshi is the best and highest performing exhaust out there. But it is one of the better constructed and designed that I have seen and used.. and there is no comparison in my mind between it and an HMF.

But of course all of this is just my opinion and as anything goes on the internet .....I could be a trained monkey that knows how to type pretty well :-)

Pipeless416
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
if it helps.. if i could do it all again, i would have coughed up the extra money for a yoshi. i LOVE my HMF, but it is just too ear splitting, even with the quiet core.

REDRIDDER
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
never heard an HMF in person but they must be loud as hell lol..

hornetgod13
03-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
I will also ask the same question as I value your judgment when you have actually compared products, have you owned a Yoshi??

I have never owned a Yoshi system. I have not said a bad thing about them and wouldn't even have the right or knowledge to do so.

07trx400ex
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I have no experience with any kind of wrench turning, but I installed a full yosh system in about one hour. It fit very well and has very nice gains especially coupled with the uni filter and k&n powerlid.

Just make sure you get it polished and shiny BEFORE you start it the first time, the heat will permanently cause fingerprints and any kind of oil to permanently tarnish the pipe.

I used rubbing alcohol, and it worked well.

08400EX
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I have never owned a Yoshi system. I have not said a bad thing about them and wouldn't even have the right or knowledge to do so.

I didn't mean to imply that. I was actually hoping you had, your insight would be important.

As a military aircraft mechanic I assume you would recognize the advantage of vibration/stress isolation and the long term negative effects associated of not having vibration/stress isolation on such components.

Of course on quads cracks in components would only be an inconvenience... vibration/stress cracks on aircraft components could be dramatically more than an "inconvenience" !!!

red_rider_069
03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by tdmopar59
Well i did the chassis skid plate, swing arm skid plate, sprocket, and then i have a k and n sitting the garage for when i get my exhaust. But what the heck exhaust should i get!!! lol... i am in between HMF and Yoshimura... which would you get and why? I am leaning towards Yoshimura....
i dont think exhaust makes much of diffrence.. i've rode on bth hmf and yoshi.. bearly any difffrence.. cost the same.. so i'd go for looks.. for best prices i'd go to www.gopartsdirect.com find the 1800 number.. they have way more parts... just call and ask them what your looking fro and what price range.. they'll tell you the specs of each individual item.. not jsut how to install it.. i dont know i think there good.. they gicve you every spec.. you need from dbs to hp gain. (exact no bs, not like other that say up to 7hp and give you like 1.5hp..) oh yea i got a yoshi carbon only 500 bucks.. got it for less becasue i had orderd a big gun limited and they never sent it, so they gave me a better one for teh same price.. try it out and let me know..

buster024
03-20-2008, 10:01 PM
08400ex -- well said on most everything.

I installed a full Yosh system shortly after I bought my bike. In fact it was the first mod I did. I honestly couldn't say I felt a major difference from stock. I do however really like the style, sound, ease of install, and quality. Had I installed it after years of learning my bike, I'm sure I may have noticed a difference, but since I installed it right around when I first bought it, it was hard to notice the difference (besides the sound).
My riding partner has an HMF, and it is definitely louder, and honestly a bit annoying. Like a loud wet fart through a soup can.

UNBROKEN
03-21-2008, 04:27 AM
wet fart through a soup can huh, lol , ure the one of the very few who doesnt like the almighty HMF,

gcart2
03-21-2008, 07:45 AM
let me ask you this, are your riding suzuki or honda? you are riding red, get a hmf
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k...t2/SD530754.jpg

Pipeless416
03-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
wet fart through a soup can huh, lol , ure the one of the very few who doesnt like the almighty HMF,

theres something i can agree with. i haven't really ever heard of anybody who doesn't like the tone of HMFs on 400ex's. thats one of the few factors thats making me hang onto mine. :p

08400EX
03-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
let me ask you this, are your riding suzuki or honda? you are riding red, get a hmf
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k...t2/SD530754.jpg

Bad link so I am not sure of your point.. But this one will better show the connection between Honda and Yoshimura.... since they are part of Honda's 2008 Factory MX/SX team :-)

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/t-factory_honda.aspx?v=race

krt400ex
03-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by buster024

My riding partner has an HMF, and it is definitely louder, and honestly a bit annoying. Like a loud wet fart through a soup can.

LMFAO hahahaaa. i have a yosh on mine. i noticed a large difference in bottom and mid range. a little better on top.

heres for sound:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YzmIOsayOFM

krt400ex
03-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
theres something i can agree with. i haven't really ever heard of anybody who doesn't like the tone of HMFs on 400ex's. thats one of the few factors thats making me hang onto mine. :p

well, now you know two that dont like the sound. the yosh is throaty and nice sounding...loud, but not annoying. the HMF annoys me...and i am not one who rally cares about noise

klutch
03-22-2008, 03:50 PM
We have a Yoshi RS3 Full System on my dad's 400EX. No complaints at all. Love the sound of it, love the gains. I personally had always loved the HMF pipes. But, out of all the Yoshi pipes my group has and not one problem or complaint on any of them. I will continue to purchase and use Yoshimura products.

Pipeless416
03-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
well, now you know two that dont like the sound. the yosh is throaty and nice sounding...loud, but not annoying. the HMF annoys me...and i am not one who rally cares about noise

with or without the quiet core? without, i'll be the first to admit that they are ridiculous, but with, i think they have a very nice tone and they're not obnoxious unless you're always deep into the throttle. all aftermarket pipes are annoying at full throttle.

krt400ex
03-23-2008, 07:03 AM
with or without the quiet core? without, i'll be the first to admit that they are ridiculous, but with, i think they have a very nice tone and they're not obnoxious unless you're always deep into the throttle. all aftermarket pipes are annoying at full throttle.

im talking without the quiet core. i have never heard one with the quiet core.

to be honest, i dont find my yoshimura pipe to be annoying a WOT. my friends neighbors dont think so either. it has a nice deep growl to it.

Pipeless416
03-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
im talking without the quiet core. i have never heard one with the quiet core.

to be honest, i dont find my yoshimura pipe to be annoying a WOT. my friends neighbors dont think so either. it has a nice deep growl to it.

all in the ears of the beholder. i wouldn't trade my exhaust tone for anything. i would trade my decibel level for anything lower. i also posted a video of my brother and i riding a couple days ago. its called HMF video clip or something like that. thats with the quiet core and its pretty close to real life.

rcatvrider
03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I love the sound of that yosh!. When I finally sell my quad and buy a 400 I'll be going with the lexx.

07trx400ex
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
With my rs3, the spark arrestor brings it to almost stock db levels. http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/Yoshimura/yosh-06-spark-arrestor.jpg

It takes about thirty thirty seconds to remove and it sounds mean but a little obnoxious without it.

03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
alright for the HMF isnt the spark arrestor just that little screen piece that is bowed out? They say the spark arrestors really kill your power. Now if that little screen could make that much of a difference thats crazy!

UNBROKEN
03-24-2008, 08:00 PM

IMO the white bros E series is the best sounding pipe and its tunaable...

07trx400ex
03-24-2008, 08:20 PM
The sound "quality" of an exhaust system is purely subjective and everyone SHOULD and WILL like the sounds of different manufacturers.