PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes sticking

mattn03
03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
I go through rear brake pads fairly quickly (once a riding season), so I decided to pull apart the caliper for maintenance. The caliper wall where the piston moves was scarred to some degree in one area. The piston would not slide in/out very easily while I had it apart-should it that tight? The piston didn't have excessive scaring.

I've put it all back together and the pads are touching the rotor slightly even when the brakes are not applied. Should they be touching the rotor when not applied?

I have removed the parking brake completely. The rotor is not warped, and I also greased the slide pins before reinstalling them into the caliper and mounting bracket. Is there anything else I'm missing or are the rear brakes needing a complete new assembly?

Pipeless416
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
i wouldn't worry about it unless it gets to a dangerous point of sticking. also, the pads always touch the rotor on disc brakes..

jrafter
03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
you dont even have to use the rear brake and the pads will wear out.

i go through a set ever couple months even after i pulled the ecable

BigBore24
03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
so did you remove the parking brake on the caliper itself or just the cable. if the brake is still on the caliper it could be adjusting itself and causing the pads to tighten down on the rotor.

chadbarger18
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
when i had my 400 the back breaks stuck and i hit a mailbox in like 4th pinned freaked me out broke the shifter and nerfs

jrafter
03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
yea i removed the parking brake and put a blockoff on it.

pads still wear out fast

mattn03
03-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by BigBore24
so did you remove the parking brake on the caliper itself or just the cable. if the brake is still on the caliper it could be adjusting itself and causing the pads to tighten down on the rotor.

I removed the cable and mechanism completely and now have a block off plate on it.