PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust ?

bridanmya
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I just recently bought my first 450r so not too fimilar with them. Its an 04' so my questions is, I havent started it in about a week or so, I just recently took the gas tank off, drained it and put fresh super pump gas in it. When I started it tonight, it was pretty dark and while it was idling the header pipe was bright red........Now I live in MA so its pretty cold right now. The Temp light came on when I started it and shut off like its suppose to. Then never came on again. So I dont think it was over heating, Is the bright red header normal? Maybe cuz it was dark I could notice it more, not sure, also when I hit the trottle the engine sounded really high? Its completely stock if that helps. I use to own a blaster so the power is totally different, maybe I am not use to an engine sounding that powerful any help please. Thanks

Also note where I live I am unabel to ride it so I couldnt try it out to see if it was fine. Thanks

jpfmotors
03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
same thing happened the other day to my 450r i also live in ma as far as i know it is a couple things
1. very cold air on a hot exhaust can cause you to see the color change
2. i would also think that it is running lean because of the colder air i had to adjust my carb to get it running better in cold then adjust it again for the summer time when it is warmer out
other than that i am not sure but i am also interested in what other people say

ttied07
03-19-2008, 11:14 PM
I would guess that it is running lean. I just recently put exhaust on my 06 and I had it jetted way under initially and the pipe would glow red quite easily, but since I put the correct jet in so it doesn't run lean it hasn't glowed red at all.

Even though your bike is all stock, I believe cold air is more dense than warm air so a bike that was jetted right for warm air will run lean in cold air. I hope this is correct

levi624
03-20-2008, 02:25 AM
It could be rich. The extra fuel that is not burning in the combustion chamber is burning in the header pipe. If it was flooded it will make the head pipe glow red from all the unburned fuel getting in to the head pipe while trying to start it and finally burning off once you do get it started.

bridanmya
03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
What jet size is good for cold weather? It currently has the stock jet in it. Thanks

Scro
03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
A header pipe glowing red just passed the bend is normal, especially on a stock pipe since they are so thin. You only noticed it because it was dark. It does it during the day, you just can't see it.

Now if it is glowing back toward the second bend, you are running lean. Running rich would not cause the header to glow excessively.

03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
red header and the high engine is normal, when i first got my 450r i thought it sounded kinda funny too. but its supposed to be like that dont worry

bridanmya
03-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeh its only on the first bend, Thanks for all the help guys, This forum is awsome.

wykyd450R
03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
A quote from "THE WRENCH" Honda's technical bulletin sent out to dealer mechanics.

^^^HOT HEADER PIPES^^^
If your TRX customers express concern that the header pipe (where it exits the cylinder) has a reddish glow especially during night riding, don't be alarmed.
The header pipes on are made of steel alloy for durability and are of single wall design to save weight.
Please advise that this reddish glow is NORMAL.

bridanmya
03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks wykyd!!