PDA

View Full Version : HRC kits any good, for a 2006 450R? Please help, need some quick advice!

YD-LUZ
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I just bought a 2006 Honda 450R. I took it straight to Honda for the 3 recals. While it's there, might have them install a HRC kit, which for the '06 year includes a header pipe.

........is this a good buy ($320) and does it make a big difference????

Thanks for any help!!!

racerdad88
03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Had one put in my sons quad last summer and he said the difference was unbelieveable - Didn't know why he didn't do it sooner - That is about the average price for the kit - Well worth the money.:devil:

03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah I think the HRC kit is probally the best thing to do. HRC 450r will take a huge crap on and make every other 450 eat dust.

quad2xtreme
03-19-2008, 08:29 PM
I have one on my 2006 450r. I installed it myself. Not to difficult if you are mechanically inclined at all and can follow directions. All the jetting as been perfect for me.

BadinBlack
03-20-2008, 10:01 AM
for this year bike its definately a nice improvement.

03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
not meaning to steal your thread but wht if you have a full exhaust already should you still put the header on or just buy it for no reason?
sorry again for kinda taking your thread :(

racerdad88
03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the pipe comes with the kit and can't be bought without it - Not positive though - If you like your pipe, I would leave it on and keep the hrc one as a spare.

BlaineKaiser450
03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
if you are planning on doing motor work later, then dont get the HRC but if its gonna stay with a relativly stock motor, get it

BadinBlack
03-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
if you are planning on doing motor work later, then dont get the HRC but if its gonna stay with a relativly stock motor, get it
very ture!

Jonas
03-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 450r_mayhem
not meaning to steal your thread but wht if you have a full exhaust already should you still put the header on or just buy it for no reason?
sorry again for kinda taking your thread :(

If you have a full exhaust already then don't get the HRC. If you don't plan on heavily modding your quad in the future and keeping it pretty simple then just add a Hot Cam stage 2.

Jonas
03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by YD-LUZ
I just bought a 2006 Honda 450R. I took it straight to Honda for the 3 recals. While it's there, might have them install a HRC kit, which for the '06 year includes a header pipe.

........is this a good buy ($320) and does it make a big difference????

Thanks for any help!!!

Your quad has roughly 38 horsepower stock. The HRC kit will get you to about 44-45 HP. If you go with a good full exhaust and just rejet, then you can likely get in the 46-48 range. This route will cost roughly three hundred more though. As stated before, prior to starting in on modding your quad, ask yourself where you think you will be tempted you go with you mods a few years down the line. If you tend to get a little out of control with the projects you take on then don't get the HRC. If you just want to open your quad up a little and be fairly turn key then the HRC kit will work. Another question to ask yourself is, are you going to ride in wet or muddy conditions. If so, the HRC kit requires you to take off your air box lid to achieve good results.

YD-LUZ
03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all of the GREAT help!

To be honest, the HRC kit sounds like it is exactly what I need. I only want to wake it up a bit and do not want to get carried away.

I've built 1,300 hp street cars, so carried away is something I have a problem with!!!!

Jonas
03-23-2008, 09:55 PM
You don't want to get carried away but will you?

quad2xtreme
03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by YD-LUZ
Thanks for all of the GREAT help!

To be honest, the HRC kit sounds like it is exactly what I need. I only want to wake it up a bit and do not want to get carried away.

I've built 1,300 hp street cars, so carried away is something I have a problem with!!!!

The other plus of an HRC setup is the quad is still relatively quiet unless you like really loud quads.

TheNewn
03-24-2008, 04:58 AM
If it were me, I'm not a racer, I'd just get a HRC kit and a slip on to replace the stock muffler (Keep the HRC header) and call the motor good.

Then focus on the handling/comfort aspects of the quad.

Go for it.