PDA

View Full Version : My Banshee Overhaul!!

Hondamaster5505
03-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Ok guys, this is officially gonna be my build-up thread. Keep in mind, we arent made of money, so this build might take all summer and might not.

What im starting out with:

1988 Yamaha Banshee
UFO Plastics
New Holeshot tires
Electrical is shot
Motor is tired 75/95

Rear rims are slightly bent, and the whole bike is missing bolts.
Heres some before pics:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/89banshee5.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/89banshee4.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/89banshee3.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/89banshee2.jpg

NEW PLANS:

1) Yellow full Fenders

2) Gloss Black Frame

3) Yellow J's, Black Bottoms

4) Black Swingarm

5) Wiesco Pro-lite .050 (DONE)

5) DMC 916 Exhaust (DONE)

6) Trinity Stage IV Head (DONE)

7) YFZ Shocks

8) Boost bottle

9) Stainless Steel Bolt Kit

10) Douglas .190 front rims

This is going to be a fun build. We are first going to straighten out the electrical so we get spark. After I know we are going to get spark, we are tearing the entire thing down to every last bolt. From there, we are doing the power-coating and engine rebuild. We will slowly re-assemble after that. I can't wait for the end product.

This will be my main ride as far as riding in the coalmine areas and other wide-open areas. It will also serve as my TT bike on the weekends. This is exciting.

Hondamaster5505
03-19-2008, 04:06 PM
On a side-note:

The plastics are going to be cleaned up and for sale or trade. We want yellow uncut plastics, but might take other colors as well.

If you want to trade, we can try to work something out. They are aftermarket.

Dinner
03-20-2008, 12:45 AM
It's always fun to have a quad to build up, and pics are even better:cool:

Oh, and in my opinion..if you already have a boost bottle kicking around then I guess you could install it. But if you don't and you plan on buying one...that will just be a waste of money...

Hondamaster5505
03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Update:

We found a nice guy over at bansheeHQ who had a load of banshee parts.

For $150, we bought the following:

(2) Wiring harness's.

(1) Coil

(3) CDI Boxes

(1) High-Output Stator

Plus, there was some more I think. He gave us a good deal. The stator alone is worth that much. now when we recieve it, we will put all new electrical components in and hopeflly get spark. All the stuff we bought off him works, it was off his own personal bike that blew up. After we get spark, we'll begin the tear-down process.

Dinner:
I am buying a boost bottle. My dad bought his banshee the way it is, and it pulls so awesome and has so much power, im duplicating his engine. His just happens to have a boost bottle.

Dinner
03-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Update:

We found a nice guy over at bansheeHQ who had a load of banshee parts.

For $150, we bought the following:

(2) Wiring harness's.

(1) Coil

(3) CDI Boxes

(1) High-Output Stator

Plus, there was some more I think. He gave us a good deal. The stator alone is worth that much. now when we recieve it, we will put all new electrical components in and hopeflly get spark. All the stuff we bought off him works, it was off his own personal bike that blew up. After we get spark, we'll begin the tear-down process.

Dinner:
I am buying a boost bottle. My dad bought his banshee the way it is, and it pulls so awesome and has so much power, im duplicating his engine. His just happens to have a boost bottle.

As long as you don't hope all that power comes from just a boost bottle....

Hondamaster5505
03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Dinner

No no no, of course I don't. Like I said, his runs so damn good, and was dyno'd at 52hp without porting, so I want to make a clone of his engine.
He happened to get one that was done by a professional at yamaha who actually knew a LOT about banshee's. The guy before him dropped it off with $1800 and said make er fly.
Well, after they bolted on FMF Fatty's with PowercoreII's, Milled head, and a boost bottle, then jetted it spot on, they dyno tested it. 52hp. Thats pretty good for a damn near stock engine.

So yeah, thats the reason for the boost bottle, lol.
I can't wait till the electrical's here so I can start disassembling this beast!

Hondamaster5505
03-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Dinner, wheres your build-up thread? lol.

I noticed in your sig you put undergoing build-up.

Dinner
03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Dinner, wheres your build-up thread? lol.

I noticed in your sig you put undergoing build-up.

lol I'll post some pics up then...

Oh and if you need help, feel free to ask me. I'll probably be able to help you with most of the build (hopefully),lol

Hondamaster5505
03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
lol I'll post some pics up then...

Oh and if you need help, feel free to ask me. I'll probably be able to help you with most of the build (hopefully),lol

Thanks for the help offer.

Once we get the electrical straightened out, it'll be a breeze. The motor isnt a problem at all for us. Once we get the new electrical stuff, the rest should be a breeze.

If we do encounter any problems with electrical or something, ill be back:D

trx400EXtreme
03-21-2008, 10:03 PM
IMO i wouldn't run the J arms. they're a bit scetchy.:ermm:

Hondamaster5505
03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
IMO i wouldn't run the J arms. they're a bit scetchy.:ermm:

IMO, I kinda like the J-arms.

They ARENT gonna break with my kind of riding. Maybe if you race MX and beat the hell out of them they might.

Actually, they probably handle better than A-arms, because its less mass that has to travel up and down.

I mean, yamaha raced the baja on the damn thing and they didnt break.

The only downfall, BUSHINGS. It'll eat em like a mother f'er.

Dinner
03-22-2008, 12:07 AM
The only downfall, BUSHINGS. It'll eat em like a mother f'er.

That you will,lol. One of the reasons I'm switching over to an a-arm frame. And because I'll probably run YFZ A-arms and shocks..

Hondamaster5505
03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
UPDATE:

Just recieved all of the electrical last night. When I get a chance, im gonna start installing all of it and see if I get spark.

Dinner
03-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Should go pretty easy for you, hell I have my electrical harness on my shop floor, cutting certain wires I don't need anymore and making it look a lot better.

Good luck, and get some pics:devil:

Hondamaster5505
03-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Should go pretty easy for you, hell I have my electrical harness on my shop floor, cutting certain wires I don't need anymore and making it look a lot better.

Good luck, and get some pics:devil:

Sure will!:D

I may or may not put it on tomorow. I know it'll be easy, but I dont want to leave it half done.

We're drivin our quads down the street tomorow, because our neighbor has a huge field, but some trails next to it in the woods. Then further down the street theres a sandpit.

After we get back, I might start.

Mxjunkie
03-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Which actually a boost bottle doesn't give the motor jack for power to start with.. they just vibrate around and cause the intakes to crack and cause air leaks.. I'd just leave the stock cross over tube and run 10mm reed spacers instead.

Hondamaster5505
03-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Which actually a boost bottle doesn't give the motor jack for power to start with.. they just vibrate around and cause the intakes to crack and cause air leaks.. I'd just leave the stock cross over tube and run 10mm reed spacers instead.

The one on my dads hasn't vibrated or cracked AT ALL. Plus, if you look them up, it does make sense. It stores some air so when the motor goes to suck more in there's some right there to compensate for the air missing in that split second.

So anyways, im making a clone of his engine. He has a boost bottle. Even if it doesn't so anything, ill find a cheap used one anyway.

Dinner
03-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie

And reed spacers don't do anything either, guys just run them to clear clutch arms when they are running larger carbs...

Hondamaster5505
03-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Installed the harness and....

NOTHING!

We're almost positive its the stator now. We are getting an aftermarket one soon, so that should be that. We needed a new harness anyway, this one is real nice and has all the plugs.

400exrider989
03-31-2008, 06:54 PM
dude trust use banshee guys when we say boost bottles are a waste, search them up on BHQ they crack, cause air leaks, and make the motor run some what lean for that split second you are talking about, that is why they eat up rings and cause confused jetting problems, leave the stock cross over tube on and you will be fast then your dads because it weighs 1 pound lighter, those that think boost bottles and reed spacers are power upgraders need to research it, you'll be happy you didnt spend the 30 dollars on the boost bottle and buy some gas and oil for it instead, BTW just wondering whats your name on BHQ? and who did you buy the parts from?, stick with the j-arms its cheaper then switching and they are lighter and still strong, also add to your list a T.O.R.S eliminator, they are banshee owners best friends, if you save the money from the poop bottle you could almost but the T.O.R.S eliminator kit, and get rid of the parking brake it also causes some problems with electrical, actually that brings me to maybe figure out your no spark problem it may be the T.O.R.S acting up on you, also if you are on a budget dont buy the VF3 reeds they work good but are expensive, buy the boysen carbone reed petals, they work just as good for lower power motors, also i recommend cometic gaskets, i like your color choices too, Dinner how far are you on your build now? i seen it was down to the frame, what colors you going with?

i love builds, take lots of pics, good luck

Hondamaster5505
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
dude trust use banshee guys when we say boost bottles are a waste, search them up on BHQ they crack, cause air leaks, and make the motor run some what lean for that split second you are talking about, that is why they eat up rings and cause confused jetting problems, leave the stock cross over tube on and you will be fast then your dads because it weighs 1 pound lighter, those that think boost bottles and reed spacers are power upgraders need to research it, you'll be happy you didnt spend the 30 dollars on the boost bottle and buy some gas and oil for it instead, BTW just wondering whats your name on BHQ? and who did you buy the parts from?, stick with the j-arms its cheaper then switching and they are lighter and still strong, also add to your list a T.O.R.S eliminator, they are banshee owners best friends, if you save the money from the poop bottle you could almost but the T.O.R.S eliminator kit, and get rid of the parking brake it also causes some problems with electrical, actually that brings me to maybe figure out your no spark problem it may be the T.O.R.S acting up on you, also if you are on a budget dont buy the VF3 reeds they work good but are expensive, buy the boysen carbone reed petals, they work just as good for lower power motors, also i recommend cometic gaskets, i like your color choices too, Dinner how far are you on your build now? i seen it was down to the frame, what colors you going with?

I know, i know, boost bottles are a waste. I don't care. We havent had any of those symptoms with my dads at all. I know they dont add anything.

I was always planning on keeping J-arms, no matter what people say. Less traveling weight= better suspension actions. Plus they are just as strong.

The TORS are unplugged and they are disconnected right. We know lots about banshee's and that some go wrong, some dont. My dads still has the originals from 99 and they work great. We know the stator is probably the problem.

No money for VF3 reeds

I cant wait to get the stator.

My name on BHQ is bansheeb0y5505 and Im getting the parts from yam_fan i think.

400exrider989
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
thats fine, its your build do what you want, you'll see though, just trying to help out

i would just remove the TORS if you have them unplugged thats cool but it makes the throttle stiffer then without then , harder to jet, and dirt can easily get past the caps because they dont seal worth **** and its extra weight, best to get rid of it, dont want to get dirt in the engine because of stupid tors caps not sealing, bloody things

also i might have missed it but you should get the clamp on style filter from pro design, they save many engines lives, stock filters dont filter **** and they dont seal around the edga, like everything else

400exrider989
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
oh BTW im 350BANSHEE350 on bhq, i know i know very creative name

Dinner
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
Dinner how far are you on your build now? i seen it was down to the frame, what colors you going with?

Still down to the frame. Polishing things right now, waiting on my motor to be finished, waiting for my frame to get here. So basically I can't do anything until I get those parts. And im not sure about the colours yet being as I am getting plastics painted by "theshee"....

HondaMaster, hopefully you figure out what is wrong with your shee. Generally they are pretty easy to diagnose and trouble shoot so good luck!

Hondamaster5505
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, we are gonna get rid of the TORS eventually, but its not at the top of our list.
Also, forgot to mention, the parking brake IS disconnected, and takin off.

And I have a question:
When you unplug the TORS system, do you have to jump out any wires to get spark? Just curious, because we just have everything unplugged, not jumped out.

Also, a change to the mods list:
Instead of SS bolts, im gonna buy the zinc coated bolt kit.

400exrider989
04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
where did you unplugg the tors at? there is a small black box under the tank on the left side of the bike, if you unplug that then it will have spark if you dont then it wont, you need to unplug that and take it off beat it with a hammer, burn it, and beat it again and then throw it out LOL, yeah i like zinc coated bolts better then ss, but ss is nice too, anything that doesnt rust

good luck, yeah theshee is amazing , his polishing and plastic painting skills are really "booming" i love his stuff and he is a one in a million kinda guy

yeah dont you just love waiting for parts, looking out the window every 20 min to see if a brown truck comes around the corner, or do a lap around the house to make sure the driver didnt hide a nice box in the back! i love USPS deliveries!

fasterz69
04-17-2008, 10:10 PM
imo the boost bottles are kinda nice because when i had my blaster i got one and it just evened out the throttle response so i didnt have the anoyying up/down throttle. but it did crack my intake manifold. the only reason why is it was a vitos one and its in such a wierd position plus the hose was almost bent at a 90 degree angle \ that it had alot of pressure on the manifold. but there are easy fixes to that. and by the way the reed spacer actually did give me more power it was worth the money to me. just my 2 cents

Dinner
04-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by fasterz69
imo the boost bottles are kinda nice because when i had my blaster i got one and it just evened out the throttle response so i didnt have the anoyying up/down throttle. but it did crack my intake manifold. the only reason why is it was a vitos one and its in such a wierd position plus the hose was almost bent at a 90 degree angle \ that it had alot of pressure on the manifold. but there are easy fixes to that. and by the way the reed spacer actually did give me more power it was worth the money to me. just my 2 cents

Was this on your Blaster or a Banshee that you used reed spacers on? Was it a seat of the pants increase in power, or did you dyno before and after? And did you have the reed spacer before or after the reed?

fasterz69
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
it was on my blaster and it wasnt on a dyno i could just notice the power increase with the reed spacer and it was after i already had boyesen reeds. it was mounted before the reeds closest to the motor

Y2daT420
04-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Juist wanted to offer some axle berrings if ud like to refresh yours wile youre rebuilding (( or any of u other guys need a set))i have two new in box sets with seals one set is all balls the other is moose racing
they fit banchee and blaster

Hondamaster5505
04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Y2daT420
Juist wanted to offer some axle berrings if ud like to refresh yours wile youre rebuilding (( or any of u other guys need a set))i have two new in box sets with seals one set is all balls the other is moose racing
they fit banchee and blaster

Actually, we could use them. The banshee was sitting in storage for 10 years before we picked it up.

ill talk to my dad.

Hondamaster5505
04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
UPDATE:

Traded my white fenders for a full exhaust- Toomey T5's. I figured id give them a shot on a decent running bike.

Replaced and checked everything, and we're almost 100% its the stator.
When we get another stator, and we get spark, tear-down shall begin:devil:

(Side note: If anyone has a working stator they can sell me, please shoot me a PM)

Dinner
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Soo any new pics or progress?

Hondamaster5505
05-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Soo any new pics or progress?

Once i get a stator, ill do another update with pics:D

Hondamaster5505
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
UPDATE:

Bought a stator for $30 from a guy off BHQ. I think he either shipped it priority yesterday. Should be here by maybe tomorow/firday.

I'm going to install it and see what I get. Wish me luck:D God I hope I get spark. If the stator doesn't do the trick, then im gonna say screw it, part it out, and buy a complete running banshee. lol.

Also, instead of completely tearing it down after we get spark, im making a little change.
If we get spark, we're going to rip the engine out, split the cases. Get new crank bearings, or possibly another crank, and re-seal the case properly. Then the cylinders are off to get a frest bore and wiesco pro-lite pistons.

Once the motor is 100%, were gonna throw it back in the frame, break it in, and then install the t5 pipes and tune it.

So, we're going to do a complete teardown when winter comes around again. For now, we;re gonna professionally paint the plastics i have, get the motor 100%, then ride it for the season. powercoating and such will be done over winter.

Dinner
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Who are you getting to paint your plastics? Are you getting a design done, or just certain colours?

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Who are you getting to paint your plastics? Are you getting a design done, or just certain colours?

We're doing the job ourselves:D

We're gonna do black so we can have the black fenders and gray tank/seat/radiator cover. I think it's look cool.

We're gonna sand the plastics, use laquer thinner, flex paint, etc. By using the flex paint, we dont have to worry as much about the plastics bending and chipping the paint.

Ill get some pics as it sits this weekend, then as we go through the motor and such.

400exrider989
05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
dyno proven that reed spacers and boost battles decrease horspower and some rpms on the banshee, i think it gained .2 hp at 3000rpm and lost 500 rpm up top and lost 2 hp in the powerband

check it on bhq

Hondamaster5505
05-16-2008, 05:54 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. So we got the stator today. My dad brought it home with him, so we sat down and installed the whole set up. We were having bad thoughts, being the stator that was in the banshee looked to be better shape.

So, we installed it anyway, figuring, why not? We installed it, kicked her over, and...... HURRAY! She got a strong spark. It was the stator this whole time.

We got some fresh mixed gas, hooked everything up, and kicked her. After 2 kicks, she roared to life! After sitting 10 years without running!

Now, we had to shut it right off. The carbs are so screwed up from sitting, that one side wasn't getting fed, and the other was stuck wide-open, so it tried screaming. We're gonna pull the carbs off tomorow to try to straighten them out. Ill take it down the driveway then tear the engine out of her for the complete rebuild of it.

IM SO HAPPY

Hondamaster5505
05-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, we accomplished a LOT today. After we finished cleaning out the garage, and basement (future workshop for the quads) we decided we have nothing else to do. We got to my quad, and I went to work. I took off the pipes/silencers, then all the necessary components needed to pull the engine. We unbolted her and got the engine out.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0001.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0004.jpg

Here's me with the engine out on the workbench. Excuse me for looking like crap. It's been a rough day..
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0005.jpg

The person before me was a complete idiot. We're assuming he blew the motor, and tried cheaping out by only honing the right cylinder with a new piston. He left the left piston alone. The piston melted and something must have gotten in the cylinder, because the head's all chipped away.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0009.jpg

If you look here, the top ring was actually smooshed/melted into the piston, so it didn't move freely and is part of the piston.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0008.jpg

Check out how chipped this head is:eek: Ouch...
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0007.jpg

View of the good side/ bad side together.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/PICT0006.jpg

So now we know what we have to do. My dad's gonna come home early one day this week to help split the case. Then we have to take care of the whole engine inside and out, and buy a new head...

To be continued...

Dinner
05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Yea the last guy def had pieces bouncing around between the piston and head. My old stock head looked like that too...bought another stocker for $20 off the HQ.

What are your plans for the engine?

Hondamaster5505
05-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Yea the last guy def had pieces bouncing around between the piston and head. My old stock head looked like that too...bought another stocker for $20 off the HQ.

What are your plans for the engine?

Well, we split the cases today. The one crank bearing was totally shot. We picked it up out of the case, and all the little bearing beads fell right out. The bearing also snapped in half. The case wasn't sealed either, because they used that red sealer stuff and it all just smooshed out.

So, he's our plans for the engine:

1) Wiesco Trued and Welded Crank
2) Wiesco Pro-Lite Rebuild kit
3) Shaved Head .028
4) Clean Up Ports
5) Toomey T5 pipes (After break-in)

We're also debating whether to go with a 4 mil stroker crank, being it only cost's a little more. We heard sledpartsguy on ebay sells cranks listed as OEM, but are actually wiesco. So we might just get the stock stroke crank from him. We're undecided on that.

Oh, and get this crap, there was actually a tiny hose clamp stuck in the reed petal holding it open...:huh We're like wtf was wrong with this guy.

01exrider 281
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Well good luck. It is a good thing you are redoing the engine and getting it all in normal shape. The hose clamp is funny I must say. Also keep us updated on the build love reading about them.

Tyler

Hondamaster5505
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
UPDATE:

In the process of trading my T5's for a set of 916's:devil: Ill let you know if it goes through.

Also, im looking at a hotrods crank i might buy.

05-31-2008, 01:19 PM

lol boost bottle... take it off and plug the holes thats what the guy did on the 300HP drag banshee to get more power. He tried experimenting with it and he ended up plugging the holes to get the most power. IDK

Hondamaster5505
06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok, im now officially on the hunt for a crank.. I want to get her running. Im sick of seeing a roller in my garage with the motor in parts..

If you find a crank anywhere, please let me know.

My requirements are:

Max $150
New or used, but must be fairly clean and not have any play in the bearings.

I know $150 sounds cheap, but ives seen nice ones that cheap before.
May be willing to go higher if its a wiesco or hotrods crank.

On a side note, i AM trading my T5's for the 916's! Im sending mine out tomorow, then when i get a tracking number to him, hes sending his out and giving me his tracking number.

Im so happy, they're literally my dream pipes. Strong top-end and a devilish sound:devil:

Dinner
06-02-2008, 11:57 PM
The 916's are an all around pipe, more so for trail and MX. They come on sooner and are made to make good low-mid power, with average top end pull. They will actually "fall off" sooner than the T5's, though they are a very similar pipe. They also reach their peak hp/rpm a little earlier than Pro Circuits, which are an all around pipe, more Top end pull than the DMC's.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get them, I'm just letting you know that they are a trail/mx oriented pipe:cool:

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
The 916's are an all around pipe, more so for trail and MX. They come on sooner and are made to make good low-mid power, with average top end pull. They will actually "fall off" sooner than the T5's, though they are a very similar pipe. They also reach their peak hp/rpm a little earlier than Pro Circuits, which are an all around pipe, more Top end pull than the DMC's.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get them, I'm just letting you know that they are a trail/mx oriented pipe:cool:

I don't know about that..

According to EVERYWHERE ive read, these are a very top-end oriented pipe.

From all the reviews, and a test, they said the power doesnt come on till 5500rpm, and then they peater out much higher than most aftermarket pipes, including the T5's. I saw the dyno too, they're more than happy then to scream to over 11,000 rpm.

Also, from real-world tests, Simon Pep, old QOTM winner, said when he had the 916's they had an awesome top-end hit, and the new aliens actually have a little less.

Your actually the first person to say they're low-mid, lol.

Anyways, cant wait to get them They sound wicked.

Dinner
06-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't know about that..

According to EVERYWHERE ive read, these are a very top-end oriented pipe.

From all the reviews, and a test, they said the power doesnt come on till 5500rpm, and then they peater out much higher than most aftermarket pipes, including the T5's. I saw the dyno too, they're more than happy then to scream to over 11,000 rpm.

Also, from real-world tests, Simon Pep, old QOTM winner, said when he had the 916's they had an awesome top-end hit, and the new aliens actually have a little less.

Your actually the first person to say they're low-mid, lol.

Anyways, cant wait to get them They sound wicked.

That's because they are more for low-mid riding. Simon runs them because he used to do a lot of MX style riding with his Shee. He has also done a fair amount of flat track as well with it. I'm not saying they don't have top end pull, but they are not the best top end pulling pipe out there either.

Peater out much higher than most aftermarket pipes out there? Where did you get this information?

And dyno's are good for Testing and Tuning, not comparing HP and RPM. Every dyno is set up and works different, so those HP and RPM Numbers will change throughout the different dynos. You can have 3 different dynos and run the exact same quad and get 3 different readings..every dyno is different. ..

Hondamaster5505
06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
That's because they are more for low-mid riding. Simon runs them because he used to do a lot of MX style riding with his Shee. He has also done a fair amount of flat track as well with it. I'm not saying they don't have top end pull, but they are not the best top end pulling pipe out there either.

Peater out much higher than most aftermarket pipes out there? Where did you get this information?

And dyno's are good for Testing and Tuning, not comparing HP and RPM. Every dyno is set up and works different, so those HP and RPM Numbers will change throughout the different dynos. You can have 3 different dynos and run the exact same quad and get 3 different readings..every dyno is different. ..

All the info I got on it was from an actual professional review of it, and a couple people who actually have it.

People say the fattys are low-mid for the most part. but ill tell you what, my dads has a harder top-end hit then the other pipes ive experienced, even the t5's.

Dinner
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
All the info I got on it was from an actual professional review of it, and a couple people who actually have it.

People say the fattys are low-mid for the most part. but ill tell you what, my dads has a harder top-end hit then the other pipes ive experienced, even the t5's.

I'm not saying you aren't going to like the pipes or anything like that. It's just DMC's are so familiar to T5's. Basically you are putting on T5's, just with a different sound and different hit. Obviously they have a unique sound to them as well, can't argue that. If you have two quads that are the same in mods, jetting, etc. It would be a close race, but the T5's would probably out pull the DMC's in a drag race. (granted each engine is a little different in regards to ports and casting flaws, but anyways).

How about we wait until you get the pipes. Don't get me wrong, you will be happy with them. Everyone I know loves them for the type of riding they do and the sound of them. I just know them for low-mid pull, with normal top end of any after market pipe. Heck I have a list of what area and what style of engine pipes are good for for basic reference...

Hondamaster5505
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not saying you aren't going to like the pipes or anything like that. It's just DMC's are so familiar to T5's. Basically you are putting on T5's, just with a different sound and different hit. Obviously they have a unique sound to them as well, can't argue that. If you have two quads that are the same in mods, jetting, etc. It would be a close race, but the T5's would probably out pull the DMC's in a drag race. (granted each engine is a little different in regards to ports and casting flaws, but anyways).

How about we wait until you get the pipes. Don't get me wrong, you will be happy with them. Everyone I know loves them for the type of riding they do and the sound of them. I just know them for low-mid pull, with normal top end of any after market pipe. Heck I have a list of what area and what style of engine pipes are good for for basic reference...

I guess ill find out when i get her runnin:D

hondarider101
06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
ure wasting ure time trying to get a banshee to beat a 450

Hondamaster5505
06-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
ure wasting ure time trying to get a banshee to beat a 450

I don't have to try. Just a set of pipes assures it:D Nevermind whatever else I do to it.

BTW, read my reply in the other thread.

hondarider101
06-06-2008, 06:58 PM
lol thats funny stuff

kodie
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
for a banshee it kinda is. you must be racing some pretty ****ty banshees that are poorly tuned and no aftermarkets. if your dogging on a banshee that bad

honda good luck with your build.

and Dinner im over at the HQ with the same user name. so you have numbers of what pipes hit sooner and later in ur rpms. as to what conditions your riding?

i got pro circuits, bored .40 over, +3 timing, noss head with 21 domes, stock crank, 2 into 1 trinity 35 carb, boyesen reeds, no box. and i do nothing but trail ride. ive been looking at getting the best pipe for what im riding just dont know any stats on diff pipes.
Thanks,
Kodie

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kodie
for a banshee it kinda is. you must be racing some pretty ****ty banshees with poorly duned ones and no aftermarkets. if your dogging on a banshee that bad

honda good luck with your build.

and Dinner im over at the HQ with the same user name. so you have numbers of what pipes hit sooner and later in ur rpms. as to what conditions your riding?

i got pro circuits, bored .40 over, +3 timing, noss head with 21 domes, stock crank, 2 into 1 trinity 35 carb, boyesen reeds, no box. and i do nothing but trail ride. ive been looking at getting the best pipe for what im riding just dont know any stats on diff pipes.
Thanks,
Kodie

There's two different pipes that'd work well.

1) Paul Turner Mids
2) Moto-Fast 2-1

the second one gets rid of too much top end though, imo.

the PT's are a good trail/MX pipe.

Hope that helped at all.

kodie
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
ya i already knew about the 2 into 1, id rather lack a little on bottom end then to get rid of the look of dual exhaust i love the look. ya ive heard alot of good things about the pt's

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by kodie
ya i already knew about the 2 into 1, id rather lack a little on bottom end then to get rid of the look of dual exhaust i love the look. ya ive heard alot of good things about the pt's

The dmc 916's are supposed to be pretty good all-around too.

I just traded a set of t5's for them. They sound sick, look sick, and have good low-mid while retaining pretty good top end.

I can't wait to get them :devil:

Hondamaster5505
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
A couple updates, I know it's been a while...

I'm buying some bearings and seals for my crank in the next couple days. The center bearings are smooth as silk, and the rod bearings have no play and spin nice. So the outside bearings are being replaced.

That will be done soon, and then we will put the bottom end together. I'll have some money left over, so I will try to see if I can do the top end..

Then she shall run:devil:

Hondamaster5505
06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Ordered the crank bearings. Should be here tomorow or friday

Saving up and trying to sell stuff now so once the bottom end is assembled I can do the top end. Might need new cylinders though...:( Mine are pretty bad and already .040 over, and it will probably take another .020- .030 just to clean them up. At that point, instead of wasting that money I might as well re-sleeve or buy some cylinders..
grrrrrr!!!:grr:

01exrider 281
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
no big bore?

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 01exrider 281
no big bore?

I wish..:( For now I just want to get it running. Ill have the pipes, and higher compression head.

Down the road, whether it be the next rebuild or over the winter, Im going to get a mx/trail port or some kinda mild port.

After porting it, theres no need for big bore. It's fast enough. Maybe, since this crank is old anyway, i might go with a 4mil stroker next time around.

Oh, and btw. The crank bearings are installed. Just have to put the low end together and all thats left is the top end.

01exrider 281
07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
i know you said about the stroker but i wasnt sure. and they to haul. not to much needed on a shee to make her rip. keep the pics coming. are you doing any powder coating or painting while is is torn down??

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
i know you said about the stroker but i wasnt sure. and they to haul. not to much needed on a shee to make her rip. keep the pics coming. are you doing any powder coating or painting while is is torn down??

Might polish the engine and such.

Im leaving the frame alone. Im just going to touch it up so it looks like new.

I am going to paint the a-arms though. Just gonna prep it and do a bunch of coats and finish off with a clear.

Painting the plastics black with krylon plastic paint until I get new plastics. So it'll temporarily be black and gray until i get new plastics.

Might paint the side covers and touch up the cylinders with fresh paint too.

01exrider 281
07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
sounds good. i am gonna do some painting on my 300. i am not a big fan of black but i have a black swing a-arm bc when i cracked it i needed to paint it when we welded it. also black bumper, bottom a-arms with gold tops. i might go my nerfs. any idea how long that will last?

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
sounds good. i am gonna do some painting on my 300. i am not a big fan of black but i have a black swing a-arm bc when i cracked it i needed to paint it when we welded it. also black bumper, bottom a-arms with gold tops. i might go my nerfs. any idea how long that will last?

Without some a-arm skids, the bottoms might get chipped up pretty bad.

Basically whenever it starts to chip or wear ill touch it up.

So, the stuff your doing may not hold up the greatest, like mine, so you would have to do the same thing. Just touch it up after a couple rides

01exrider 281
07-20-2008, 09:59 PM
i havt touched upanything. i sand blasted all my parts and put 2 coats on the stuff and never touched it. my a-arms look good with out guards. i actually have a set laying around that i do not like beacause they hold mud and water in them. do i dont run them anymore. Also if i got you a pictures sometime do you think you could photoshope some things on it for me??? i am curious what i would look like with a little more black.

sorry about getting off topic in your thread also.

Hondamaster5505
07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
i havt touched upanything. i sand blasted all my parts and put 2 coats on the stuff and never touched it. my a-arms look good with out guards. i actually have a set laying around that i do not like beacause they hold mud and water in them. do i dont run them anymore. Also if i got you a pictures sometime do you think you could photoshope some things on it for me??? i am curious what i would look like with a little more black.

sorry about getting off topic in your thread also.

sure, no problem. just post the pics in the photoshop thread over in the body section with what you want done.

01exrider 281
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
ok thanks. i was going to say they need a photoshop thread lol but i will go get some pics then thanks again

Hondamaster5505
07-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Update:

worked for my dad and made some money..

Either tomorow or monday im shipping my cylinders to Jim at Passion Racing Engines to be bored, and im getting the whole rebuild kit back.

So my engine will be basically done

08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
what are you doing to the frame? any pc? sp? what kinda/color plastics?:confused:

Hondamaster5505
08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
what are you doing to the frame? any pc? sp? what kinda/color plastics?:confused:

I'm still undecided on that.. There are so many different schemes that I like..

My dad is friends with someone who does pc so im probably getting the frame/j-arms/swinger pc'd.

For the rest of the season, im gonna run it as is, and over the winter im doing the frame, etc.

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:15 PM
took some pics tonight.

Sent cylinders out on Tuesday.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/DSCN0695.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/DSCN0696.jpg

08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
nice man, hey get on aim. lets start a chat

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
nice man, hey get on aim. lets start a chat

I would love to, but got to get to bed soon. I have to wake up early to help around the house.. again. Moving sucks.

At least the new house has trails literally right from my driveway on my property. Goes all the way to new york. So all this work will pay off.

11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
update

I know it's been a LONG time, but I finally got around to paying passion and my cylinders/ top end kit should be here by thrusday.

Then the engine is being put together, and put into the bike. At that point we are going to have to clean the carbs really good or buy a set.

After the break-in, im going to ride it and next winter it will be torn down to the bare bones frame for customization and powdercoating. For now plastics and graphics maybe with stock chassis.

11-14-2008, 07:50 PM
UPDATE

Last weekend We assembled the whole motor. All im waiting for is my Trinity Stage IV head which should be here next week.

I also found out that the morons who owned it before me never put the clutch ball back it. Theres supposed to be a ball at the end of the rod to push the clutchs apart.

So I need to stop at a dealer to order one of those balls and the engines done.

Blaze
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
UPDATE

Last weekend We assembled the whole motor. All im waiting for is my Trinity Stage IV head which should be here next week.

I also found out that the morons who owned it before me never put the clutch ball back it. Theres supposed to be a ball at the end of the rod to push the clutchs apart.

So I need to stop at a dealer to order one of those balls and the engines done.

Sweet man.

11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Blaze
Sweet man.

Thanks. Im so siked.

The head should be here tomorow or tuesday.

Blaze
11-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Im so siked.

The head should be here tomorow or tuesday.
Yeah, thats cool im thinking about buyin a NOSS cooled head 21 cc domes. but idk yet

11-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Blaze
Yeah, thats cool im thinking about buyin a NOSS cooled head 21 cc domes. but idk yet

I think you'll notice a good improvement over stock.

With a fresh engine and 21's you should be around 145psi. Ill be pushing the highest I can go on pump gas.. 155psi.
lol.

Between the pipes and head I think shee'll move. Maybe 2 years down the road a light mx port will come along.

Blaze
11-16-2008, 06:56 PM
I think you'll notice a good improvement over stock.

With a fresh engine and 21's you should be around 145psi. Ill be pushing the highest I can go on pump gas.. 155psi.
lol.

Between the pipes and head I think shee'll move. Maybe 2 years down the road a light mx port will come along.

Yeah Dave from noss told me i should go with 21 cc domes from pump gas. I wanna get myn ported in a few years too.

Ruby Soho
12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
... is this done yet?

12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
... is this done yet?

It would've been but my parents are being really gay about my grades:scary:

He told me he won't let me finish it until he see's an improvement, so im working on it.

We did order the clutch ball. Really once my grades go up its done.

Im gonna take a day to break it in easy stock then we're gonna slap the pipes on. Im going a different route with the head but that will be a surprise:p

907Rider
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Are your cylinders back from passion yet?

12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by I live for this
Are your cylinders back from passion yet?

yup. got em a while ago. Just havent updated my sig.

They were done really nice and had real tight but perfect tolerances. He even washed them, polished the gasket surfaces, and polished the exhaust ports.

The motor is almost all put together. We already had the cases apart and replaced the crank bearings/cleaned the insides and inspected the transmission. The top end it all bolted together except for the head and the flywheel side is all installed and put together. All thats left is to install the clutch ball so we can assemble the clutch side and then the surprise im going to try and buy for my head;)

Im gonna go take a pic of the engine.

12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Some pics
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/Banshee006.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/Banshee005.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/Banshee004.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/Banshee003.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/Banshee002.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/new%20quads/Banshee001.jpg

banshee6767
12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
looks like its coming along nice, and also look like you need some longer studs, keep up the good work that a nice looking banshee for the year, mines a 89 i will post a pic, wish i had one when i first got it man it was a pile of **** bought it blown up as well

banshee6767
12-31-2008, 07:34 PM
as it was going back together after i powdercoated it and mad an a arm conversion kit and added the +2+1 a arms

banshee6767
12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
a arm conversion

banshee6767
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
i also went through complete bottom and top end, has trinity pro mx port and polish cylinders, wiesco pistons, crank was new it has been trued and welded , got PE clutch backet, very easy to put alot of money in em lol

banshee6767
12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
first ride after i put it back together

banshee6767
12-31-2008, 07:42 PM
did all this in 2weeks

12-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Sick:devil:

Yeah, it just uses a special nut on the head.

But im selling this head because I have a surprise up my sleeve that im not telling anyone:blah:

You might be interested in it? It has 20cc domes.

banshee6767
01-01-2009, 08:49 AM
How much are you asking for it?

01-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by banshee6767
looks like its coming along nice, and also look like you need some longer studs, keep up the good work that a nice looking banshee for the year, mines a 89 i will post a pic, wish i had one when i first got it man it was a pile of **** bought it blown up as well

nice banshee, where did u get tht seat cover?

banshee6767
01-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I bought that seat cover from a store off ebay, they custom make seat covers, to me my dad and my brother to get the thing on to make it look nice, its been a great seat cover and the grip on it helps hold you on the shee lol

01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by banshee6767
How much are you asking for it?

I don't know.. I was thinking $165 obo

If you want make an offer.

Brauap
01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Eric....... I know you had gotten your cylinders back a long time ago.. and updates or finished pictures?

01-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Eric....... I know you had gotten your cylinders back a long time ago.. and updates or finished pictures?
Yeah, kind of.

Its almost done mechanically, just need to pick up the clutch ball which my dad keeps forgetting to get:mad:

Heres some pics of the engine. I also got some temporary black plastics until I get the yellow fronts to go with black rears. Looks pretty sick black and gray. Ill get pics of them tonight and post it.

After the clutchball, its ready to bolt in and the break-in process will start.:) Then do the bearings, and after a season of riding, im going to tear her down to the frame to get a hammertone black frame, lower a-arm, and swingarm along with a hammertone yellow upper a-arm. And some yfz450 shocks.

All that stuff is going to be fairly inexpensive. Im pretty much done with the expensive stuff after the bearings.

01-29-2009, 04:09 PM
dos

01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
tres

01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Under the head.. brand new wiesco prolites and fresh bore/hone

01-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Rolling frame as of right now.

Exrider434
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
lookin good, cant wait to see it done.. whats this surprise you keep mentioning?? lol

01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
lookin good, cant wait to see it done.. whats this surprise you keep mentioning?? lol

LOL, that was a while ago I mentioned that. It ends up I asked around some fellow banshee riders and the design of the head I was looking at was actually bad. But now I found a new head with a similar design but much better built.

Stock head is going on for now, until I get the head I want. Just going to run a cut one for break in and such.

Everyone will see eventually.

Brauap
01-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Looking good! I think it needs new yellow gas tank plastic and the plastic around the rad. yellow.. and a new seat cover.. but its looking good!

01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Looking good! I think it needs new yellow gas tank plastic and the plastic around the rad. yellow.. and a new seat cover.. but its looking good!

Thanks!

Like I said, this color set up is temporary. Before I had these pos blue stressmarked plastics.

Im going to be doing the yellow front, black rear, black tank, yellow rad cover, and black seat.

Almost exactly like this.
With a hammertone black frame, lower arms, swingarm, and hammertone yellow upper J's. But the hammertone won't be till after a season of riding.

01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh, and in 9 months when I am old enough to get a job, im going to buy a set of hiper beadlocks with yellow rings.

Ruby Soho
02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
this is the longest and most drawn out build ive ever seen..

Brauap
02-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Have you seen the one that comes up randomly in the 400EX forum? "My Winter Rebuild" He has been on it for a year now and predicts it will be finished next year! Don't bag on him. Let him take his time.

02-16-2009, 05:08 AM

Oops forgot to update.

Everything is FINISHED. I started her up yesterday and for the most part ran good. Just having a little carb issues on the right side, no big deal.

Ill try to get some pics and maybe a video soon

02-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Current pics. Running pretty good now. Just needs a few tweaks.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Banshee019.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Banshee020.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Banshee021.jpg

02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
looks good man nice job.

02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
looks good man nice job.

Thanks dude.
Im so glad I was actually able to ride it for the first time.

Brauap
02-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Congrats man! Looks pretty good! Just wondering.. how well do those rear tires hook up in the loose terrain? The tread looks pretty shallow.. and I know you live close to some coal mines.. don't you need those deep tread wells?

02-18-2009, 04:52 AM
Congrats man! Looks pretty good! Just wondering.. how well do those rear tires hook up in the loose terrain? The tread looks pretty shallow.. and I know you live close to some coal mines.. don't you need those deep tread wells?

Not really sure. I have to make some jetting/tuning tweaks before I can ride it ride it.
From what I felt in the driveway they were fine.

They're only holeshot imitations, not actual holeshots. And any holeshot type tire sucks in coal mines lol

907Rider
02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
look great man, good job:cool:

Are those dmc silencers supposed to be centralized?:huh definatly a unique look.

02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by I live for this
look great man, good job:cool:

Are those dmc silencers supposed to be centralized?:huh definatly a unique look.

and yup, they're 916's. pretty rare these days but I wanted them for the looks and sound.:devil:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bF-MAerthbE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bF-MAerthbE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>