PDA

View Full Version : Jetta Owners!!!

Sjorge450R
03-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey all you jetta owners!!!!! I am in the market for one (before the summer ends) and i wanna know what years seem to be the best for performance and what years are the best for fuel economy. I am gonna get rid of my dakota and switch to a jetta mainly because I will be driving to school everyday.

Now, i DONT want a 4 cylinder. I was checking out the VR6's and i have been told they are pretty quick after an exhaust and cold air.

If you know anything about jettas just share with me. I am new to the "tuner" world and need to learn as much as possible.

Kinda like how long the jetta motors last without running any boost (I plan on adding later, but I wont buy a car that already has it)

LMK!!!

Thanks

XCAdam89
03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
To be honest, I was going to get a GTI VR6 forever, until I heard they have lots of maintenence problems. I'm pretty sure the engine is all covered with plastic as well.

Don't get me wrong, I know people who have them and love them, and I know those who have them and hate them as well. I heard more negatives than positives, so I bought an Integra GSR and I'm really happy with.

If you want turbo, look into subaru. If you can get a nice STI that would be a good start. I know the 2.5RS's are pretty decent as well.

Preludes, GSR's, Impreza's, there all pretty decent. Just don't buy a civic.

Giz400ex
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I had a jetta, what a POS:grr: I would recommend what Adam said on the Subaru's. Interior looks good, the eng are pretty quick and AWD which is nice to have in the winter months.

03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
R32's are awesome but expensive, the older bodys look better IMO.

TWISTED DINLI
03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a '92 Jetta Turbo Diesal. it gets 45 miles to the gallon and runs GREAT!

SRH
03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
there nice looking and nice styling but there junk i wouldnt get a jetta, my gf has one and its a royal pain in my ***

fastredrider44
03-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah, my ex has a jetta. Its a 2000 fourbanger. Its a total POS. It has some awesome features that I wish I could find on American vehicles, but they are a pain in the arse to work on. Hers has a ghost in the electronics too. I would never buy a VW after working on hers.

XCAdam89
03-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, Like I said, I was set on a GTI for a while until my sisters BF started having a ton of problems with his Jetta, so I tossed that Idea.

My GSR is treating me well, but I'll be getting an STI after it most likely or an impreza of some sort more than likely.

Rootar
03-19-2008, 07:32 PM
we have an 04 jetta TDI deisel and we get 42-44 mpg the diesel is great, it really scats from 30 to 80 (perfect for getting on the interstate even during the busiest times) the car is solid, we have over a 100,000 miles on ours and not a single problem.....btw thorw some 17 inch wheels with some perelli tires on them and they corner great, :( we had to ditch the 17s on ours cause the tire just wouldnt last on our gravel road.

HondaEXrider22
03-19-2008, 07:37 PM
My girl friends Passat and other friend that is a girl haha Passat 2.0 Turbo are pretty quick and they both stand to a good beating. 99 88k and a 01 75k and they get beat on. Both run great, but personally i hate imports esp. from europe haha

rollie
03-19-2008, 08:12 PM
audi A4:cool: you can get them pretty cheap

i dont know as much about jetta's though

03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
When I was looking into buying an A4 I knew there where some problems with the timing belts. Audi is almost the same as VW so they had the problems too, it was the timing belt, the tenisor or w.e was bad and would break, and no more top end. but that was the 96-99 years

ZeroLogic
03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
My dad has a Jetta. Biggest POS ever.:o Breaks every other day and its a newer model.:mad: :ermm:

rollie
03-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
When I was looking into buying an A4 I knew there where some problems with the timing belts. Audi is almost the same as VW so they had the problems too, it was the timing belt, the tenisor or w.e was bad and would break, and no more top end. but that was the 96-99 years

yeah, if you take an audi or a dub apart they have both symbols stamped on the bolts, or atleast thats how it is on my friends 99 1/2 A4 Avant

havent heard much about the timing belts but i dont know an awful lot about that

VR6INSD
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I love VW here's the proof. I had a 97 jetta as a daily driver now i have a 2008 rabbit awesome 2.5 engine.. i also have a 1998 gti vr6 with about $40k into it. good luck jetta's are good cars and here's a website to get cheap parts www.germanautoparts.com

VR6INSD
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
jetta

VR6INSD
03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
GTI AND RABBIT

Sjorge450R
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
wow, there are some people that just dont like jettas....

One of which being my girlfriend. She keeps telling me that she wont talk to me if i get a jetta cause its a girl car and i cant get it through her head that yes, stock they are girl cars, but after a little bit, they are far from a girl car. I am just gonna keep and eye open for one and snag it.

fastredrider44
03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
You've been warned.:rolleyes:

Quad18star
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
wow, there are some people that just dont like jettas....

One of which being my girlfriend. She keeps telling me that she wont talk to me if i get a jetta cause its a girl car and i cant get it through her head that yes, stock they are girl cars, but after a little bit, they are far from a girl car. I am just gonna keep and eye open for one and snag it.

I'd tell your girlfriend that with the price of gas , she either has the option of getting into that "girls" car or taking the bus. See what she says about that one.

I sold my Dodge truck and was looking at the Jetta , but I found a better deal on a Saturn Ion instead. Saturn doesn't have all the options as the Jetta , but for the price I couldn't refuse.

I went from a $500 per month gas bill with the truck to a $180/month gas bill with this car.

03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Keep your eyes open for anything. I was looking strictly at Audi's, but then I found an e36 BMW that I couldn't turn down. 45,xxx miles FTW.

mx428
03-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I have an 05 A4, I love it. We had a 98, 2000, 2002, aswell. Good luck with them, just make sure you get the routine maintenance.

I would love an STi too, sooo sick.

NJ450rider
03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Out of all foreign cars and trucks vw and audi are the bottom of the barrel.

theres lots more that i could type but i dont feel like it. Ive been in the sport compact car game for almost 10 years. trust me buy something else dont waste your money.

Giz400ex
03-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider

theres lots more that i could type but i dont feel like it. Ive been in the sport compact car game for almost 10 years. trust me buy something else dont waste your money. In my opinion, I would include Porsche in there also. I will admit, you will have a race car feel with handling, speed and exciting to drive but for quality or what you pay for it??? I'm sorry but "Junk":ermm: Bottom line though that it is just a opinion and everybody is different and from my research and experiences, I would take a VW, Audi, or Porsche but wouldn't buy one. I know including Porsche has nothing to do with this topic but when you talk about Audi, I classify Porsche as 1 step up from Audi, like what Toyota is to Lexus.

450r51
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider

theres lots more that i could type but i dont feel like it. Ive been in the sport compact car game for almost 10 years. trust me buy something else dont waste your money.

please elaborate on how you figure vw and audi are at the bottom of the import barrel?

so with your reasoning you would consider porsche, bugatti, and bentley all crap as well? seeing as how all those manufacturers share parts with one another and are part of the vw family. to all of you that know nothing about these cars, why the hate?

drive an s4 or a w8 passat and tell me what your reaction is.

if you want a car that is good on gas get the non turbo 2.0 motor or the 1.8t motor.

Sjorge450R
03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
after further thinking. It would be more benificial for my to purchase a new vehicle. Considering the new base model jettas start at $15,000. I would have about 6000 to put down on it. I think my payments would be nice and small and reasonable. The only thing i am worrying about is insurance. I only pay $740 a year now on my 87 dak(just liability) and i Know for a fact its going to sky rocket when i get a newer vehicle.

How about the Acura integras from like 99-02? Any major problems with those? They seem to me that they are great cars, but with it being an Acura, insurance would be nuts!

03-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Acura Integras are good cars. Super reliable, since its a Honda. Try to get a GSR, there going to be harder to find, but there defiantly worth it, since they have Vtec. And dont buy any ghetto LS-vtec.( an LS model integra with a Vtec head). The only problem with them is finding a good clean one, since there pretty big with ricers. I found what I thought was an awesome GSR, and I go down and check it out and the paint was all mismatched and everything. But if you can find a nice clean one snatch it up.

Your like following the same path as me haha. I was looking at Audis/VW until I saw the reliabiitly problems, then I started to look at Acuras.

Giz400ex
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
after further thinking. It would be more benificial for my to purchase a new vehicle. Considering the new base model jettas start at $15,000. I would have about 6000 to put down on it. I think my payments would be nice and small and reasonable. The only thing i am worrying about is insurance. I only pay $740 a year now on my 87 dak(just liability) and i Know for a fact its going to sky rocket when i get a newer vehicle.

How about the Acura integras from like 99-02? Any major problems with those? They seem to me that they are great cars, but with it being an Acura, insurance would be nuts! Acura would be a better choice:D

fastredrider44
03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Acura would be a better choice:D

x2

XCAdam89
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Steve, They stopped making integras in 01, not 02. But the 3rd Gens (94-2001) Are all practically the same, except the 98+ have a different front and rear end.

I have a 95 GSR, it has 87k on it and I bought it for $4300 after looking around for a month or so. They are pretty quick, good on gas, fun to drive and they look good imo.

My insurance is only $120 a month too on my parents policy.