PDA

View Full Version : need quick asdvise

duner
03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
going to look at a 2004 trx450 tonight
price 3000

problem with bike says it cuts out under load . he bought it thought it had a hrc kit and rejetted for it.

what should i watch out for.
i am enough of a mech to work on anything. i have rebuilt lots of two strokes including transmissions , lots of car engines transmissions etc.
thanks for any input
here is a link to the add.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/609517930.html

thanks

Elduner
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I would just look for craks and that it turns over ok... the jetting part well that could be anything... but for that price its cool....

I would pick it up and disassemble the whole thing and redo it... looks cool...

04-05 had crank bearing failures... if addressed before they go.. it could be $300 job... or if you wait till it goes... and takes the cases on its way out... your looking at $1500 + just on parts.... lol

but never the less I would still pick it up for that price and drop in a new crank, piston and get going.... good luck...

duner
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
from talking with him on the phone i believe the jetting issue is either a timing issue or a tps issue.
he already rejetted it .
i have read about the crank issue a little.

this quad wont be raced but ran in the dunes a couple times a year. ...so i dont want to put to much into it...

thanks

03-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Look for cracks in the frame by the top engine mounts and underneath where the foot peg mounts are welded. Mine has cracked in both places.

duner
03-19-2008, 03:33 PM
great keep the ideas coming..

trying to trouble shoot a bike with zero history sounds like fun. lol
the guy says he bought it to fix but doesnt have the time i will get more dfetails tonight...

if its not jetting.

to me its fuel related / internal motot related// electrical.

so a quick compression check how high should a stock motor be ????

electrical i have saw tps problems before or stator problems that act just like fuel problems. "i am leaning toward the stator" does the 450 have two seperate systems like what i would see in a yamaha. 1 for the ignition and 1 for the lights. i am not familiar with this bike if it has a battery or not being a kick started machine.... 04