PDA

View Full Version : ATV Help in San Jose CA

Myrkk
03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
This maybe a long shot but I will give it a try anyways. My 02 400ex isn’t running right and I wanted to get some local help if there is anyone willing to do so. This is my first quad and my knowledge with these is very minimal. I have a Pismo trip this weekend so time is of the essence.

1. My ATV starts up, but it dies out, after a couple of minutes. Then I switch the fuel to reserve back to on and I can start it again.
2. It doesn’t idle the way I like, I think it’s running to low.
3. Since this is my first ATV I would like to know if it runs good. But I don’t really have any experience to compare it to.

So ultimately I would like someone with experience and know how to help me out. If they are willing to teach I am willing to learn.

mcwilly
03-19-2008, 09:43 AM
This may be a dumb question so dont be offended, but does it have a full tank of gas? Or at least more than what would be needed to switch to reserve...

Myrkk
03-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the response
I made sure there was a good amount of gas. About 1/2 full.

hornetgod13
03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Does it stay running if you leave it in the reserve? Could be a faulty petcock. Try removing the the fuel cap. Does it run/idle once it's warmed up?

Myrkk
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I don’t have reverse on this. After it warms up it still dies after a few mins.

hornetgod13
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
You do have a reserve. The fuel selector valve has 3 settings (Off, On, and Reserve)

Take the fuel cap off and try to run it sitting still. It could be a cap bleed valve.

Myrkk
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Duh,

I thought you said reverse and reserve. My mistake. When I get off of work today I will give it a shot. Thanks Hornetgold13

Myrkk
03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Another question….

Is there a fuel filter on the 02 400ex?

hornetgod13
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Myrkk
Another question….

Is there a fuel filter on the 02 400ex?

Yes and No. No filter but, the petcock has a screen and the is a small inline strainer in the fuel line going to the carb.

Myrkk
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM
So here is where I am at now.
I had someone come over last night. We took off the gas tank check the petcock and the filter/screen clean and works good. Next is the carb, we didn’t get to it last night because it got late but we will work on it again today.

Myrkk
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
So last night after work I had a guy come over again to help me with this problem I am having. We took apart the carb and one of the needles was clogged. I believe it to be the idle jet needle. After cleaning it the bike works perfectly fine. Just in time for me to leave for Pismo today.

mcwilly
03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Myrkk
So last night after work I had a guy come over again to help me with this problem I am having. We took apart the carb and one of the needles was clogged. I believe it to be the idle jet needle. After cleaning it the bike works perfectly fine. Just in time for me to leave for Pismo today.

Cool, glad it worked out.