PDA

View Full Version : kicking over a 330?

maddmatt02
03-19-2008, 12:01 AM
about ready to fire up my project quad, and know it wont be long til I say "screw this lil 281" and tear it out to rebuild for some real power.

but I would like to end up without the e start/battery and start with a 250x bottom end, but how is it kicking over a high cr 330?

might stay with e start cuz it is nice sometimes, but I know a well tuned, well kept motor starts first kick anyways. plus I save a slight bit of weight, and I dont have to ever charge a battery again.

Dr89
03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
it won't be that bad at all, it will be a little stiff but compared to a lot of the kick start bikes out there and stuff it wont be that bad. nothin like the 450r's are, even with their hot starts.

but overall i would suggest just keeping the electric start. is there a reason you want to get rid of it? because i've had a couple 300ex's and have never charged one of their batteries in my life? also the weight wont make any difference what so ever...

maddmatt02
03-21-2008, 02:00 AM
just because there will be times the bike will sit for a while not being ridden, and instead of needing a battery tender or anything, I just go otu and kick it when I wanna ride it. and everything ive ever had, if it sits for a while, battery is dead when you go out and wanna ride.

also I have a 250x frame, so no battery box mount, I have to rig something, or weld something. no e start, no battery to mount. plus it might sound strange but I like starting with a kick instead of a button, I even start the crf250x with the kick start alot, just cuz I for some weird reason like kick start..... it is nice having both, but I would be fine without e start.

Dr89
03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
thats cool man, to each his own right?

anyways no, it wont be that bad to kick over. the fact that its a 330 wont really make it any harder to kick over than if it were a 110...it has to do with compression. how high comp piston are you going with? im saying that theoretically you could have like a 50cc bike with 14.5:1 compression and it'd be harder to kick over than say a 330cc 8:1 comp engine. not that you would ever see specs like that but...theoretically...

maddmatt02
03-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I see what you mean, but doesnt it also work like this, say you got a 50, which has a cylinder displacement of 50cc's, with a static cr of 14.5:1, so it is taking that 50 something ccs in the cylinder and compressing it to 4 cc's or so.

now say you got a 330, which with the cylinder head dome who knows how much air is in there at BDC, lets say 334 cc's or A/F and at 11:1 is compressing it to 30cc's or so.

so you are compressing it less, but you are compressing more of it at the same time? or is it still easier because you are compressing it less of a percentage even though its more volume.

and I will probably go 10.5:1, or 11:1.

Dr89
03-24-2008, 01:43 PM
haha yea what you said is just about dead on...i was exaggerating to kind of put it into perspective. you see what i'm saying though right? a stock 250x has (i think) a comp ratio of 10:1, so your compressing about 25cc's...and your 330 with 11:1 will be compressing to around 30cc liks you said...so you can see the difference between kicking the two over wont be much.

maddmatt02
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
alright, probably going kick, depends on how much I can get a good 250x bottom to start with, plus I wont have to not have a quad while im building it. and it will also match my 04-05 450r when I get one, ill be kicking em both....