PDA

View Full Version : recommendations?

kawabunga
03-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Well I've been having engine issues as of lately and the thought has come up that I should probably re-jet. Just to restart and take it back to the starting point. As far as jetting goes, I am farily knowledgable with it. However, I wonder if someone could tell me what the stock jetting is on a stock '04 450R. I bought mine with aftermarket exhaust etc.. so I never knew.
Also, does anyone have recommendations for where to start with mods like these?
Curtis Sparks exhaust
K&N filter - no lid
Mild port and polish
I'd really appreciate it if someone with this set-up or something similar could share their jetting settings.
Also, I'm located in central Wisconsin, about 1,400 ft up. I'll take temperature into consideration myself and adjust accordingly.
So, stock jetting and any suggestions on jetting for my mods.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

kawabunga

d3ktrix
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Stock getting is 118MJ and 48pilot

Whats ur jetting now?

Should be about 185-190MJ 50pilot with what u said.

kawabunga
03-19-2008, 10:36 AM
So I just went out and pulled my carb apart.
Looks like I have Kehein jets -
200 Main
48 Pilot
That's what it was like when I bought it because I haven't changed it.
Looks like I need to take a trip to town and get some jets.
Any suggestions as to where I should have the fuel screw set as well?
I won't be able to test the jetting right away, I am waiting on some shims from a friend to adjust my valves at the moment.
But I'll get them.
185 main and a 50 pilot is a good start would you say?

450R_lover
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah man... the 50 pilot will help you on startup alot. I'd say start with the 185mj take it for a test run and have it at wide open throttle and kill the engine. then check your plug. it will tell you if your rich or lean. as long as your not running race gas. The way i adjust the fuel/air mixture screw is by letting the quad idle. turn the screw all the way in then back it out till the idle starts to drop a tad. you could probably get by with just turning it out about 2 turns with the 50 pilot in there. let me know if you need anymore help.

kawabunga
03-19-2008, 10:59 AM
So I just went on Spark's website and called them.
They suggested -

190 Main
Stock Pilot
Air screw 2 turns out
Needle on 3rd clip

Is it just a good idea to throw in a 50 pilot anyway?
I've never had issues starting the quad with the pilot at 48, but it kind of seems to be the trend to throw in a 50.
The guys just told me to throw a 190 in it and try that, so I may just skip the 185 and do a plug check and see where I end up.

Also, is there a way to take off the bowl without taking the carb off?
I tried but I cannot tilt the carb far enough.

bloodmoney23
03-21-2008, 07:30 AM
I am telling you right now. You are going to need between a 50-55 pilot jet. and you will prolly also end up running a 190-200 main jet. I have HRC kit, Curtis Sparks Exhaust, K&N Filter Kit, High Comp Piston and im running 200MJ and 52PJ and it is still a little lean.

kawabunga
03-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
I am telling you right now. You are going to need between a 50-55 pilot jet. and you will prolly also end up running a 190-200 main jet. I have HRC kit, Curtis Sparks Exhaust, K&N Filter Kit, High Comp Piston and im running 200MJ and 52PJ and it is still a little lean.

Yeah, I'm thinking that. We got the valves shimmed yesterday so I was able to try out jetting. It didn't want to sit and idle for too long with a 190 in unless I had the choke on. I threw in a 195 and that helped, but I need to do some more tuning. I put in a 50 pilot and that seemed to improve from the 48 from what I can remember (it's been 2 and half months since I last went riding with the quad).
As far as I can remember the 200 main always ran pretty well. I might just end up going back to that. It is a bit colder out right now too so that's not helping.

I've got another question too. The pilot that was in the quad was a 48 "S" and when I went to trade in my jets I got a 50 with no "S" behind it, and it is longer than the 48. From the threads back they're identical, but the thicker part is longer than the 48. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Or do I have the wrong jet in. They're both Kehein and both fit, one's just longer though. Just wanna make sure I'm not gonna wreck anything.