PDA

View Full Version : Getting your $$$ worth!!!

Lowcountrydave
03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess two years is pretty good for brake pad replacement on the rear. I do believe the 400's malfunctioning parking brake helped eat up my pads some. I normally never use my rear brakes. Probably about a month ago the rear brakes started sounding like a dang goose! It was embarrassing to apply the rears out in the trails. I'm sure the factory pads were used to the extreme limits.

Dave

03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I think my rear just fell off or something. Those metal plates were there but there was basically nothing as far as a pad goes and I hardly ever used my brakes. Now I have the EBC sintered and wow they brake so much better and last so long

Lowcountrydave
03-19-2008, 12:10 AM
FoxHondaRider

EBC Sintered? Is that a Brake pad name? Iv'e been trying to get in the habit of using the brakes more often. So I remember to use them when I get going a little to fast in the trails. Saves you some major carnage down the road, hehe.

I think I'm going to remove the parking brake. I used it the first few trips I went riding. But realized it drags/sticks alot and first gear was plenty to keep the 400 from rolling off.

Dave

j450rking
03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
ebc is the company name a sintered is the brake pad tipe. go to www.rockymountainatv.com and they will have what your looking for. i have been meaning to try the tusk pads bc there only $18 i just haven't goten around to it yet. by the way if you have grooves in your rotor you need a new one. wearing the pads down to metal is bad and it will ruin your rotors. i always get new pads before my old ones are 3/4 of the way gone.

mattn03
03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
I only get about 1 riding season out of my rear brakes before I have to replace them. I'm hoping the parking brake is causing such quick wear. I'm in the middle of winter maintenance, and replacing pads and adding a PB block off plate is on the to-do list. I've always used the OEM pads, but might try the EBC sintered pads this time instead.

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2008, 10:10 AM
LOL my rear pads lasted about 5 years. i replaced my rears with yfz450 pads they are sweet.

Lowcountrydave
03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
j450rking

Rotor looks fine. Looking at the material used for the pads backing plate. It doesn't look like typical steel. I'm guessing they may have used a softer material, designed to wear down before the rotor.

Yesterday I went to Honda and picked up a rear set of pads. Easy install after compressing the caliper piston.

Dave

Brauap
03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Why in the world did you make this thread?! Try ridding in WV for a few days, my dads where soo worn, I could have broke the steel with my figers it was soo thin! J/W y?

my88r
03-19-2008, 01:06 PM
i really don't get that problem here in NY. if you ride in sand and such. then you go through them faster.

Lowcountrydave
03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Brauap

I wanted to share my photo of my brake pad conditions. Also to promote self awareness of preventative maintenance. When you ask someone why they started this thread? Brauap you become an easy target.... just look back on your past history. There really should never be a question of why a thread was created. Might have something to do with America, I dunno.

Dave

my88r
03-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Lowcountrydave
There really should never be a question of why a thread was created. Might have something to do with America, I dunno.

Dave

exactly:macho

rcatvrider
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I have replaced a couple sets that were starting to wear down to the caliper piston they were so bad. No my fault though, one was the previous owner and the other was on a relatives quad.