PDA

View Full Version : best suspension bang for the buck

bearair
03-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm back riding quads after a few years away and have been through a ton of the posts about shocks. What I'd like is recommendations for upgrading my stock suspension. The bike is all of 2 weeks old, but I do NOT like the stock fronts at all. I had a works performance suspension on my quadracer a few years ago (higher end reservoir fronts and rear). I like them for the money.

I trail ride, like to climb hills and take it on the MX stuff. What I'm looking for is something that will fit playriding and some hard MX riding from time to time. I'm considering revalved 450r fronts and revalved stock rear or something else entirely. The stock 450r's on ebay have been getting well over $200 lately, and coupled with a revalve at $4-500, start looking a little less likely. Seems like for a few bucks more you can get some nice reservoir shocks or for a bit less you can get some AT steelers with reservoirs. Rear revalve looks like the way to go for the money.

What say you all? I'd appreciate comments from people that like to play ride but like to mix it up a bit and what their solution was. Thanks ahead of time!

UNBROKEN
03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
im also interested in bang for the buck shock upgrades i also trail ride and jump on ocassion

03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
450R fronts revalved and resprung along with the 400ex rear.

procircuit406ex
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

zrpilot
03-18-2008, 09:08 PM

X3 :cool:

kolby2004
03-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Agreed!!!

Gatekeeper
03-18-2008, 09:56 PM
what about best a-arms for the buck? (thats suspension, right?)
----not tryin to hijack

bearair
03-18-2008, 10:20 PM
What about ishock? I see the 4500 kit on ebay from time to time for $799 and that's a complete kit. Yeah, the shocks aren't rezzy shocks, but they are valved for the rider. That would get me a set of arms, shocks, brake lines and all the other assorted hardware for just slightly more than a set of revalved used 450r shocks. I was quoted $500 for the revalves by C&D which puts a set of stockers at about $800 by the time shipping them back and forth is paid for. Seems like an iShock 4500 front end kit would serve me better. Just wondering.

Figure in a revalved rear for around $200 from iShock and I'm at the magic $1K mark. I was quoted $800 for revalving the ex rear and 450r fronts as a package. By the time picking up the 450r fronts and shipping is taken into account, I'm over the $1K mark by $50-60 which is pretty close to a wash in my book. The difference between the two setups though, is that the iShock kit would give me the +2 arms, braided lines, and all the hardware to mount them. Throw in a set of +2 arms off of ebay, and I'm well over $1300 for the 450r fronts and revalved rear.

I'm trying to compare ride and parts versus cost. Thanks for all the input!

zrpilot
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by bearair
What about ishock? I see the 4500 kit on ebay from time to time for $799 and that's a complete kit. Yeah, the shocks aren't rezzy shocks, but they are valved for the rider. That would get me a set of arms, shocks, brake lines and all the other assorted hardware for just slightly more than a set of revalved used 450r shocks. I was quoted $500 for the revalves by C&D which puts a set of stockers at about $800 by the time shipping them back and forth is paid for. Seems like an iShock 4500 front end kit would serve me better. Just wondering.

Figure in a revalved rear for around $200 from iShock and I'm at the magic $1K mark. I was quoted $800 for revalving the ex rear and 450r fronts as a package. By the time picking up the 450r fronts and shipping is taken into account, I'm over the $1K mark by $50-60 which is pretty close to a wash in my book. The difference between the two setups though, is that the iShock kit would give me the +2 arms, braided lines, and all the hardware to mount them. Throw in a set of +2 arms off of ebay, and I'm well over $1300 for the 450r fronts and revalved rear.

I'm trying to compare ride and parts versus cost. Thanks for all the input!

I can't find fault in your points. But I ride XC and 2+ arms are not for me.

When I bought my 450R fronts, it just seemed to me that I was able to spread out the CASH out lay over a time priod and it did not seem so expensive. I also got a set of 450R shocks (because I waited and kept an eye open) for $180. Then I waited and saved to send both fronts and rears in for re-valve.

Just my $.02

Gatekeeper
03-19-2008, 02:25 AM
I ride trails also and figured to get +1 but I read somewhere on here to use a +2arm with a 4:1 offset wheel. I know that means more $$ for new wheels but my wheels are in pretty bad shape, also have been seeing more good deals on ebay for+2arms than +1. thought this mite be a good to go with +2 to help out ride quality with stock 450r shocks but still keep a decent trail width.
Any thoughts?

zrpilot
03-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I ride trails also and figured to get +1 but I read somewhere on here to use a +2arm with a 4:1 offset wheel. I know that means more $$ for new wheels but my wheels are in pretty bad shape, also have been seeing more good deals on ebay for+2arms than +1. thought this mite be a good to go with +2 to help out ride quality with stock 450r shocks but still keep a decent trail width.
Any thoughts?

I have 4:1 with stock width a-arms and really like it.

Personally I have a problem with after market a arms. They ARE EXPENSIVE, and I seem to bend or tweak set about every 2-3 years. A COMPLETE set of stock arms can be bought for $200 NEW.

IF you use +2 arms and 4:1, you will still be about 1" or more wider then stock.

I think if I had an extra 1" of width, I'd probably need a new set of a-arms every year!!! LOL Those trees just seem to jump out at me!!!

03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
well your stock back is about as wide, a little wider than your front with stock wheels and +1 a-arms so that means if you miss a tree with the front lilke you say your rear will be getting slammed!!!

bearair
03-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Finally won a set of new '07 450R shocks on ebay. I'll put those on and run them for a bit, then revalve everything this fall. Anyone run these without revalving and just putting on a set of Works springs? How's that work out?

Gatekeeper
03-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
I
IF you use +2 arms and 4:1, you will still be about 1" or more wider then stock.

Thats what Im lookin for, bout 1" per side/2" overall. would like a little more stability but dont want to go +2"per side / 4" overall cause of the trees. What kind of rear axle setup should I run with this ft setup?
How does the +2 arm /4:1 affect handling?

Brauap
03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't know if it is still for sale but, there are/was 450r resprung, maybe revalved front and back 450r shocks on the Honda parts section on here for about 185 bucks! (I think that what that what is was going for..)

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
yep someone sold a set of new 450r shocks in the for sale section for $80. i got a set for $100 shipped then got some yfz450 springs for $40. i put them on and they are sweet. its just the single rate 450r springs that sucks. the valving isnt bad at all. the yfz dual rate springs make alot of dirrerence. works has a set of triple rate springs you can get on ebay for $200

03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
people on here are overpriced. I see quite a few 450r shocks going for $100 - $150 shipped. For some reason peoples mentality on here is to try and sell them for $200.

zrpilot
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah like this.... You have to be FIRST though!!!!

450R shocks (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=55819)

my88r
03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
For some reason peoples mentality on here is to try and sell them for $200.

yea, ive seen them for 200 also and above. way to much if you asked me:mad:

bearair
03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Went riding tonight after work and dialed in the rear pretty decent. At least it's MUCH better than it was stock. I have the rebound up about 3/4 of the way, and the compression dialed down to about 1/4. It's a lot easier to ride now and doesn't have that nasty tendency to try to kick the rear up in the woops.

The fronts are another story. They might be okay for play riding in the woods, but anything that has bumps only highlights that they stink on ice. I can deal with them on a smooth surface but they make control in the rough stuff a serious chore. I can't imagine what Honda was thinking. They should put the 450R style shocks on from the factory for the money they charge.