PDA

View Full Version : Banshee tires

rigger
03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Ok guys, got the new/used Banshee in the garage. Half torn down, going through it and replacing what needs to be to get her going for the moment.

I rode it for only a few minutes in the woods near my house just to get a feel for her.

It has almost new Pure Sports on the rear. 10" rims. They do NOT hook up at all in the woods that I played in. I will use this bike in the woods for 90% of its riding. When I got back, I did discover they were at about 7psi. I aired them down to about 4psi. Did not get to go try it again before I started taking it apart to work on.

Just wondering what you guys recomend for tires on 10" rims. Will airing these down some help out much? Airing down my 400ex's tires makes a huge difference. Or are these Pure Sports just to hard of a tire to grab the ground? Or will any tire really hook up on a Banshee? Or, am I better off just letting them spin and just get use to it.

This is my first Banshee so just looking for advice from you guys that have tried different tires.

Thanks.

Dinner
03-19-2008, 12:08 AM
What type of terrain are the trails you ride in? Like is is usually soft, muddy, hard packed, etc?

rigger
03-19-2008, 05:39 AM
I live in Charleston, SC. When I ride around my house and the local trails, it is dry soft sand or wet packed sand. Roots, pine straw, leaves.

When I run up state to ride, if it is dry, it will be hard pack red clay and rocky with a little bit of sand here and there. If it is wet, just a slippery mess.

When I get this Banshee up and going I will have to play with tire psi to see if it does much for her or not. I was told that cutting the lugs on the Pure Sports can help them a good bit. Anybody try this with them?

I was looking at these tires last night some more. It almost seems like they are just not going to grab much dirt since they are such a hard tire. Even aired down, they hardly flex at all. They do seem like a tuff tire though.

Dinner
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I've never actually seen or really heard of those tires so I don't know much about them. I know some guys will say some Razr's or Holeshots are pretty good tired for your all around regular riding. I myself like the Kenda Knarly's and plan on running a set of those. I would say if you are running hard packed all the time, guys cut every row of 3 lugs off the Knarly tires. Guys say they hook so much better in hard packed that way, which makes sense why they would.

Hondamaster5505
03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Do you do any hillclimbs?

I know the realtors are supposed to be great for hillclimbing a stuff. Airing them down should help a LOT for traction and trails. 7psi seems kinda high for those tires.

If you do a lot of hills, especially loose hills, I hear the Super Swamper tires are great. Everyone I know airs them down for hills though, so with the realtors it should do the same.

Also, remember, banshees LOVE to spin. You may not be used to it as much yet.

Hondamaster5505
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
also, try www.bansheeHQ.com

Much better banshee site. This site is more towards the 4-pokers.

rigger
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
The tires I have are the Pure Sports Bandit XC.

My neighbor has a full set of them that have never been run he will sell me for almost nothing. That gives me new front tires and two sets of rear tires for almost no money. That fits in my budget really well right now.

He was telling me they would do ok in soft loamy sand. But will spin every where else. We were looking at them tonight and figured what we thought would be a good pattern to cut the nobs and give the tire some room to bite the ground.

Just got to find something to cut them with. Can't hurt to try it.