PDA

View Full Version : dead spot just off idle...

Derrick Adams
03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm having an issue with my 06 450ER. It has a serious stumble just off idle, when you stab the throttle.

If you roll into it, it seems fine but if you punch it, it will fall right on its face. Big annoyance when trying to jump it.

It seems to me that it's lean. I thought I would richen up the needle to improve it, but the darn thing didn't have an adjustable needle. First time I've ever seen that.

So whats the problem here? I need it fixed asap!

roundsy
03-18-2008, 05:30 PM
install a crf or hrc adjustable needle, set to 3rd clip. install a 55 leak jet and your problem will be solved. when i did it, i also bumped the main to 165 and ditched the lid, pulled the baffle out of the exhaust but left the spark arrester in...it's not loud but it sounds way better than stock

BadinBlack
03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
yeah this is a problem with the 06's up. once you rejet it to hrc specs it should work a lot better.

blacknblue#2
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I aint sure what your budget is but i went with a DYnojet kit with for the adjustable needle and also installed a boyesen quickshot. I had that before the jet kit and it seemed to help on that stull from a quick acceleration.

roundsy
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
going from a stock 70 leak jet to a 55 (a $5-$10 jet depending where ya buy it) is equivalent to the quickshot....you can decide how much you wanna spend

03-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by roundsy
going from a stock 70 leak jet to a 55 (a $5-$10 jet depending where ya buy it) is equivalent to the quickshot....you can decide how much you wanna spend

the quick shot is 80, the leak jet is 8...same results...the dynajet kit is 45 or more, and the hrc needle is 12, same result...

go to www.jetsrus.com and read their faq sections on jets and jetting to get an idea as to why not to buy a dynajet kit...ever...

Derrick Adams
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I ordered a 55 leak jet yesterday. I also picked up a 12 tooth front sprocket. The thing always felt like it chugged around too much with the trail tires.

I'll be installing the 55 leak jet with the adjustable needle and a 165 main jet. Going to go ahead and yank the air box lid and exhaust restricter.

Hope it runs better with those mods.

Next round is an HRC header and a stage one hot cam.

bluebaron
03-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I am running a sparks big core, with no air-box lid. I have the sparks needle on 4th clip, and 170 main. I have a quickshot, should I keep the 70 or put the 55 leak jet in?

Jonas
03-23-2008, 02:03 PM
As stated, once the quad is modded a bit, the hesitation will go away. I personally use and recommend a 35 leak jet. If someone does not want to modify there quad, they don't need to. Just press the throttle more smoothly. It would be a pretty rare situation if you just looked up and all the sudden there was a jump there.

mchepp2
03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by roundsy
install a crf or hrc adjustable needle, set to 3rd clip. install a 55 leak jet and your problem will be solved. when i did it, i also bumped the main to 165 and ditched the lid, pulled the baffle out of the exhaust but left the spark arrester in...it's not loud but it sounds way better than stock

did this help with starting and idling? my stock 06 is such a pain in the butt.

d3ktrix
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by mchepp2
did this help with starting and idling? my stock 06 is such a pain in the butt.

Needle and leak jet wont affect starting/idle.

The pilot jet and A/F screw setting will have the most affect on that.
Also the valves being adjusted properly.

eastcoastpro20
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
so is there no screws on the carb. to adjust

rdj450
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
i installed the boysen quickshot on my 06 and it helped alot. just got the hrc kit and will be installing it next week.