PDA

View Full Version : Foam vs. fabric filters article in QUAD magazine

mcwilly
03-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Just in case some of you havent seen this months QUAD mag, they have an article about foam vs. fabric filters. (pg 58)

- Fabric type filters (K&N) make more power than foam filters of equal size. The key to the fabric filters is surface area-the wavy design provides more surface area than the foam-type filters, allowing for more potential horsepower gains. With our dyno testing, we commonly find one-horsepower gains using a fabric filter versus a foam filter (sometimes more, sometimes less). The higher the need for airflow, the larger the gains you'll see when you do provide more airflow.
- We do find foam filters to be superior in keeping the ultra-fine dust out of the engine. If you run in really dusty conditions, opt for foam to make the engine last longer and retain more power later in life. Fabric filters are still superior for sand dune use over foam. We find that the foam filters start pasing sand by the end of one day's riding.

Much of that info we already knew...but I know some people wont believe it unless the "professionals" give their opinions.

my88r
03-18-2008, 01:38 PM
i don't always go by or agree with what a magazine says. definitely not QUAD.:rolleyes:

klutch
03-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i don't always go by or agree with what a magazine says. definitely not QUAD.:rolleyes:

LOL? I hope you aren't going to say DirtWheels is always honest... lmao.
I would definitely agree with QUAD over Dirt Wheels any day of the week.

my88r
03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by klutch
LOL? I hope you aren't going to say DirtWheels is always honest... lmao.
I would definitely agree with QUAD over Dirt Wheels any day of the week.

no definitely not dirt wheels either.lol

Phillburt57
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Hahaha every quad mag is biased!

klutch
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Some WAY WAY WAY more than others (Dirtwheels)