PDA

View Full Version : carb or valves

allthriller250x
03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
whenever i start my bike it'll start and run fine but when i get like 1/2 or 3/4 way into the throtle it cuts out and will jus like rev every second and a half. some people say its the carb Honda says its a tight valve but the head and head cover came off of a running 300ex. anybody with any advice will be greatly appreciated.

f4istunna
03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Id clean the carb and check the valves. Neither one is hard to do by yourself and should take under an hour easy.

allthriller250x
03-22-2008, 08:39 AM
i cleaned out the carb and took the head cover off. I thought maybe i didn't hold the rockers up. but i put it back on the right way and it still didn't work. im going to have my mechanic adjust the valves in april. hopefully that will make it work. Thanx for the advice.

250X_project
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
It is your carburetor. You need to have it completely cleaned. Your not getting the needed fuel at that throttle range.

If you did need the valves adjusted, you would need to keep the head cover on. Just remove the valve covers on each side of the head cover. You will find 2 screws on each side. One on each rocker, for each valve. They will be locked with a (10mm?) nut. The nut needs to be loosened, and the screw turned to get the clearance needed between the screw on the rocker and the valve. The clearance needed is .004" for all.

2 important things- get the right clearance or a TINY bit larger, and make sure the nuts are tight.

GOOD LUCK!

allthriller250x
03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes it is the carb. i went to try and start it the other day and it wouldn't even get fuel through. I took out to bottom nut that covers the jet and dirty gas just poured out. I don't know how to clean a carb though so any advice on that owuld be helpfull as well.

250X_project
03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
My best advice would be to completely remove the carb.

Bring it to a clean/empty bench and completely disassemble and thoroughly clean with either carb cleaner spray or soak it in a carb bath. You can also use pipe cleaners on some of the orifices.

Take your time, make notes or even take pictures if needed. This will help on re-assembly. You could even look up an exploded picture in your manual or online.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

allthriller250x
04-02-2008, 09:25 PM
alright tired of meesing with it. going to sell it for a down payment on a 400ex. asking $1200 obo. if theres any interest ill give ya the specs.

Knoxy
04-04-2008, 12:02 PM
no man dont give up! carbs are easy to mess with just dont touch the floats... they are pretty sketchy!

clean it top to bottom make sure that the needle slides smooth and there is no residue in the bowl

good luck dont give up on it!

allthriller250x
04-05-2008, 02:29 AM
yea well im tired of messin with it. i want something bigger, to make a mx only bike

allthriller250x
04-06-2008, 07:45 PM
anybody interested $1000 will take it home