PDA

View Full Version : First impression with 450R shocks

Lowcountrydave
03-17-2008, 06:29 PM
06 400

Installed factory take off 07 450R shocks. My weight is currently 245 lbs. I'm probably 40 lbs over weight, (like you needed to know this info) Anyways.........

Measuring 450R shock eye to eye they are roughly 1/4" longer than stock 400 shocks. After install it raised the front 1 1/4" higher.

I made two passes down a short whoops and bumpy section. The shocks were alot stiffer than I wanted them to be. So a quick return to the truck. I turned the compression 1/4 turn towards soft. Another trip down the trail section. I could definitely notice a positive improvement! I also adjusted the rebound 1/4 turn to the soft.

I was riding with a guy who runs Enduros, he was on a KDX 200. This guy was like a rabbit in the woods. He told me I was getting much faster towards the days end. I was getting use to the new shocks.

On the trails at much faster speeds the shocks were working very well. I never did bottom them out. I haven't hit any big jumps to really check them out yet.

After taking some measurements. Rear is around 35% sag

Front is nowhere near that, but still the ride is pretty comfortable. I just softened the preload, turned the spring collars two complete revolutions towards a softer ride. This week all get the chance to see how much better they perform.

Thanks for reading and not falling alseep.

Dave

TRXRacer1
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Set the rear at 50% and try about 30% in the front.

Gatekeeper
03-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Buddy of mine raced Gncc last year with 450r shocks, told me he ran everything all the way soft. Told me to start there and work up. Im gonna try that when I get mine on. He weighs about 240

03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
This is the confusing thing for me... Someone that weighs 240LBS say they work good with full soft setting and someone that is 140LBS says the same thing. It just seems weird that 100LB difference would run the same settings.

TRXRacer1
03-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
This is the confusing thing for me... Someone that weighs 240LBS say they work good with full soft setting and someone that is 140LBS says the same thing. It just seems weird that 100LB difference would run the same settings. People have different tastes and different levels of experience.

03-17-2008, 08:43 PM
I just wonder how harsh they really are over small stuff with the preload backed off all the way and the cmpression way softer. I would hate to buy the shocks and end up putting the stock shocks back on because its harsh.

Lowcountrydave
03-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I could have set them all soft. But I wanted to see what the factory settngs felt like. I thought there was a chance I wouldn't need to make any adjustments, but I did. I think a few trips riding and I will have found what works for me. At slower speed I'm sure they are little harsher than even the stockers. The front sag is really only about an inch. So I'm sure I will be softening them up quite a bit more if only to get some travel and sag.

Dave

Gatekeeper
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
This is the confusing thing for me... Someone that weighs 240LBS say they work good with full soft setting and someone that is 140LBS says the same thing. It just seems weird that 100LB difference would run the same settings.
One possible explanation is Im 6'4 and I tend to sit way back on the seat when I ride so I have to set my front preload pretty low. Alot lower than youd think my 280lbs would require. I do have my rear cranked up. My Gncc friend is also 6'3- 6'4

lawdog800
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Did you do the 450 rear as well, or just the fronts???

Lowcountrydave
03-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Just the 450R fronts. From what I have read the 450R rear shock wouldn't be an improvement over ther 400 rear shock. I really don't have any complaints about the rear shock, just fine tuning it.

Dave

440challenger
03-18-2008, 07:17 AM
seems right to me. im 140 and they are harsh on the small breaking bumps or going across a pit hitting all the ruts. This is with +2 a arms. With stock a arms ,its probably worse. I could barely push my front end down before i softened every setting all the way. I also run a 450r rear shock though to lower my ride height

With the triple rate spring kit i bet it would be a TON better!!

UNBROKEN
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
so do the 450r shocks bolt rite up with no mods ? cuz im going to a track with my ex next month and im 150 pounds and im worried that the front shocks are going to do the trick theres alot of doubles and triples there does anyone anticipate problems with my stock setup and weight , i dont want to be botoming out

03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
With 450r shocks I doubt you will bottom them out. They are stiff on a 450r and the 450r a-arms are also +.5" wider than 400ex stock. With +1 or +2 they should be fine. Just adjust them, take out a lot of preload and softent he compression a bit and work from there. But yeah I highly doubt you will bottom out those shocks