PDA

View Full Version : thought i had it...some ohm readings..

800screws
03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
well, i got it running good, i figured i'd try just a smaller jet and see how it would run...then i kicked, kicked and kicked. now no spark. i checked the electrical. the stator tested good, but i got a reading of 7.9 at the two wires going to the coil and .49 at the spark plug gap and one wire going into the coil....

what's this mean, bad coil or bad cdi?

atvmxr
03-17-2008, 06:49 PM
more than likely the coil. they seem to fail more often than the cdi box. unless the stator is failing to give the coil proper power..

alot of carb problems turn out to be electrical issues....

:cool:

wilkin250r
03-18-2008, 12:29 AM
I can help you (I'm an electrical engineer), but first, we need to be speaking the same language.

I need units. What is your meter set at when you make the measurement? If you are set on the 20k range, and you get a reading of 7.9, that is 7.9k ohms ( 7900 ohms).

When testing the primary side of the coil (the side that is NOT the spark plug), you should be set on the very lowest possible setting. You are trying to measure less than 1 ohm.

The secondary side (the spark plug) should use a setting of 20k (20,000 ohms) because you are trying to measure anything from 7-11k ohms.

bevel head
03-19-2008, 07:09 PM
My guess would be the source coil on the stator,It sounds like your ignition coil is good, a bad cdi will still spark from time to time.Usually when you check the ohm reading it will read 0 when source coil is bad.I have several stators if you end up needing one.my 2 cents