PDA

View Full Version : Jumping issues

BeltSlipper
03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok, I have no idea where to ask this question, so I'm going to try this area first.
My son as a 450r, laeger LT +2 Fox Evol up from. Stock arm on back with Factory rebuilt by Cody on back.
When he takes off on a jump. The back end is falling really bad. I'm stumped on how to fix it. I'm running out of room to loosen the collar rings. I've taken out rebound on the front end. We've changed the face of the jump. And it still falls, he keep landing on the back tires and not flat.
If someone has an idea on how to fix this, please by all means. Shoot me an idea.

eastside 400
03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
now im not trying to be an a-hole or anything and i dont know how your son rides, but 9 times out of 10 when jumping its not the bike setup, its the rider, is he going off the jump pinned or high throttle, how is he standing on the bike(front middle or back) that kind of stuff. It takes time to learn how to jump correctly to land smooth with the front end down. Not sure how he rides once again but im just saying...

BeltSlipper
03-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Well you have a very good point. But he's been riding for years and this is a new quad. He hits his jumps mostly 85%- pinned. He has tried leaning forward, middle and not leaning back. Or the quad will point to the moon.
He's tried hitting the breaks in the air, gassing it. We just can't get the darn thing to land right.

pro-rider46
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
im just aggreeing a lil to what eastside400 said, but since its a new quad, he probably just needs some time to ride it and learn how to make it jump right

honda4life72
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
should not have messed with the shocks. what kind of bike did he come off? the problem sounds like he is giving to much trottle off the jump. when the front tires have left the jump the rears are still on the jump so when he hold the gas down he is still spinning the rear wheels and causing it to do somewhat of a wheelie in off the top of the jump

BeltSlipper
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
He came off a 400ex, He Mx raced for years. Then had an accident and hasn't riden for ~3 years. The shocks have been set up exactly how they were when we bought the quad. Maybe it's just the 450r he needs to get use to. Or maybe it's a worried Father not wanting his son to end up in the hospital again. Thanks for the replies.

dist5mxer
03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
i have to agree with eastside.. the bike is fine.. its all in the way your on the gas when you take off. and to aid in bringing the front end down.. DON'T tag the back brakes... tag the fronts.. its alot less to think about (pulling the clutch in and what not).

BlaineKaiser450
03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
when i first got my R, i flew nose high off everything for about 3 rides. I think its normal to do this with a new bike

85and93
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
when i first got my R, i flew nose high off everything for about 3 rides. I think its normal to do this with a new bike

yup.. same here

300ex mxracer
03-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I had the same problem when i switched to the R from the 300. He will learn like i did. Have him try tapping the rear brake in the air, itll bring the front end down. Just make sure to pull in the clutch:eek2:

bloodmoney23
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
not to be mean but i can jump a king quad 700 and land it smooth. Its all in throttle. He needs to find where on the throttle he needs to be when hitting the crest of jump. Like Honda4lyfe said, if its still pinned after the fronts leave the jump it will kick the front end up higher since the rears are still on ground. Just have him keep practicing and adjusting his throttle usage on face of jump. hell figure it out. These bikes are for some people really hard to get used to. For instance I cant even ride my broz YFZ because it rides 10x different then my 450R.

trail11591
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
i agree w/all the guys here about it bein throttle control cuz the same thign happend to me when i 1st got mine

BeltSlipper
03-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Yelp, thanks for all the advice gentlemen. And your right, it just took some time. He called last night, said he got it figured out. Landing just how he likes it. It just took some time to get use to. Again, thanks for all the advice.

honda4life72
03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
not to be mean but i can jump a king quad 700 and land it smooth. Its all in throttle. He needs to find where on the throttle he needs to be when hitting the crest of jump. Like Honda4lyfe said, if its still pinned after the fronts leave the jump it will kick the front end up higher since the rears are still on ground. Just have him keep practicing and adjusting his throttle usage on face of jump. hell figure it out. These bikes are for some people really hard to get used to. For instance I cant even ride my broz YFZ because it rides 10x different then my 450R. funny u say a king quad 700 .. becasue yesterday we were jumping my dads kingquad over my 450r lol

spencer_shinn
06-16-2008, 07:23 AM
id agree he just needs to get used to the quad
when i first got my TRX i had a tendancie of making the front end point at the sun but i got used 2 how the quad feels
thats mostlikely his problem :D