PDA

View Full Version : tapered or dual row bearing carrier

atvmxr
03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
so which is better to use, the dual row roller bearing or the Timken tapered bearing carrier? I would think the tapered would be better, but its been around for at least ten years and doesnt seem to be that popular. any thoughts/advice/experience???
thanks

86 Quad R
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
what type of riding do ya do mostly?

atvmxr
03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
i try to stay out of mud or river crossings and big rocks, otherwise I think I ride everything... sand dunes, sand drags, fast wooded trail riding, indoor and outdoor MX, playing around in my mini oval TT track in the back yard...

but still occasionally wide up in deep mud and river crossings when trail riding with friends...

j28d
03-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Tapered bearing carriers last longer, but can be a real pain to get the bearings out of. I've had rad tapered and rad dual row, and it's a lot easier to replace the bearings in a dual row. That being said, if you don't ride for another year on the bad bearings(i.e. keep up on the maintenance) the tapered ones are the way to go.

86 Quad R
03-18-2008, 06:55 AM
if you only occasionally get it wet then i'd say the tapered bearing. they are much more durable.

All250R
03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
You lose chain adjustability with the tapered. If you run stock say 13-38 gearing you have to go to a 37 or 39 tooth rear. The 38 doesn't work. That's the downside to the tapered. This technical problem is what scares people from them. If you don't change gearing get the tapered. With a little maintenance they'll last forever.

bushwesl
03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by All250R
You lose chain adjustability with the tapered. If you run stock say 13-38 gearing you have to go to a 37 or 39 tooth rear. The 38 doesn't work. That's the downside to the tapered. This technical problem is what scares people from them. If you don't change gearing get the tapered. With a little maintenance they'll last forever.

Why is this?

I have a RAD tapered bearing carrier, and run stock 86/87 gearing 13/39 with no problems.

Fear250r
03-19-2008, 05:28 AM
Yeah, me too. I also have a Rad tapered and run 13/38 gearing, but you say it doesn't work? How so?

All250R
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I have the durablue. I had to lose the 38 tooth sprocket because the size of the tapered bearings to fit around the axel is too big to make the offset large enough to satisfy the complete line of chain adjustments.

I didn't know this when I bought it. I had to call to ask why my sprocket didn't fit and that's what they told me.

I'd say then if there is a brand that eliminates the adjustability problem, there is no good reason to not use a tapered carrier. The side load capabilities are way beyond a typical roller bearing. Swingarms are not like crankshafts. They take load from lateral as well as vertical directions. I change grease and inspect seals on mine every 2 years.

MossboysRacing
03-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I wish i had a tapered carrier, I have 2 Lonestar dual row carriers and my bearings last about 1 season, If not less Of XC racing and that it! Speaking of that, im due for bearings now....:ermm: