PDA

View Full Version : Electric Problem.

Alaska
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
On my first ride on this quad it broke down. It would backfire and then all electrical system would shut down. The head lights would come on really dim after a minute and as soon as I tied to start it the electric system would shut back down. I waited about 15 minutes and checked to see if it would start. Before I went to turn it over I checked the headlights and they came on with normal brightness. Sure enough it fired up and ran fine. It happened a couple of times after that and behaved exactly the same way. As soon as the headlights would come on with normal brightness the bike would fire up with no problem. Since we were riding though a lot of water that day so I suspect that one of the electrical plugs got wet. I am going to seal those up later tonight.

Dose anybody else have any suggestions?:confused:

Outlaw 50
03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I pull all the plastics off of my quads and go through the electric harness. I pull each connector apart, clean them with electrical cleaner, dry them with my air compressor, and put dielectric grease in both ends before reconnecting them.

I also disconnect all the ground wires from the quad, the coil, and sand off the paint around the contact point, apply dielectric grease to the connectors and reattach them.

After that there are no more problems.

LT250_JOE
03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I have the same problem. I have never addressed it though, I just dont use my headlight. Every time I try using my headlight for more than 5 minutes, quad dies. I dont ride at night so f-it.

Alaska
03-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
I have the same problem. I have never addressed it though, I just dont use my headlight. Every time I try using my headlight for more than 5 minutes, quad dies. I dont ride at night so f-it.

I can't remember if I had the headlight on or off when it died.:confused: I cleaned and put dielect grease on all the electric plugs. Hopefully I fixed the problem, but I will pay attention just in case.

Outlaw 50
03-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Don't forget the grounds and the coil! :)

Alaska
03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw 50
Don't forget the grounds and the coil! :)

Roger!:D