PDA

View Full Version : fuel issue

lanestang
03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I have a completely stock 06 z-400, here is the issue.
if you let it run and get fully warm it will bog out and die with any throttle, it will start right back up but any throttle and it will die with the fuel valve in the on position. it seems if you start it up with it in the reserve position it will not die out. Is there a common problem with the fuel valve on these?

next issue
do the z-400 carburetors clog fairly easily because I have had to clean the idle jet twice it had a tiny speck of dust in it?
Do you guys run a little inline fuel filter on your quads? If so do you know what size line it is 5/16 or 1/4?

any help will be appreciated
thanks
lane

ltz440rider
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
is your chock on??? Also check to see if your intake boot is on all the way. you can run an inline filter its actually a smart thing to do. i dont know what size it is I havent had a problem with my carb getting dirty at all.

lanestang
03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ltz440rider
is your chock on??? Also check to see if your intake boot is on all the way. you can run an inline filter its actually a smart thing to do. i dont know what size it is I havent had a problem with my carb getting dirty at all. [/QUOTE

I think you mean choke if so it is off. it seems it will start better after its hot with the choke on.
I will check the intake boot because I had it off when I took the carb out to clean it.

cataway
03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
have you done any mods ,list all of them please.

lanestang
03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by cataway
have you done any mods ,list all of them please.
only mods if they would be considered mods would be a twist throttle and different bars.
I'm leaning towards it being the fuel valve on the bottom of the tank but not sure have you ever heard of any problems with them?

ltz440rider
03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
is the petcock what you are talking about ? its quit possible you could try taking the line of the carb turn it on prime and it should piss out but someone correct me if im wrong.

cataway
03-17-2008, 03:47 AM
yes ,on prime gas will flow . you can run it on prime it just that the petcock is designed to operate from vacuum . you may have noticed theres no off position on the petcock and that is why because its automatic on off. your vacume line may have a hole in it or it may not be hooked up.
there are 2 screens ,one in the tank on top of the petcock the other is in the carb at the float valve. i put one more in the line because i found to much dirt on the carb one .
i had the tank vent plug up, no gas would come out of the petcock
till the gas cap was removed .