PDA

View Full Version : New 450r shock mod. CHECK OUT

sc400ex_rider
03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
i just put some 450r shocks on my 400ex and though they were a little harsh/stiff at low speed(full soft settings). the stock spring is a single rate and i didnt have the 3 bills to get them redone by gt thunder. so i looked around for some cheap dual rate springs. the yfz450 spring is 1/2" shorter and 1/8" bigger but its dual rate and every one raves about the yfz plushness so id try. i got the springs off here for $40 and painted them red put them on. the 1/2" shortness was not a prob i just put the adjuster collor all the way down. i was worried about the 1/8" play(mostly up top) but i just beat them for 3 hours and the springs have settled in a nice way offcenter by 1-2 MM. i was going to change the shock oil to a lighter weight if needed but at speed the stock shock worked well it was just a little stiff even at zero pre load. so i figured that i would give them a try well the ride is awesome they are very plush. i have my comp about 1 turn in from soft rebound at full soft. im going to go in on the rebound cause i hit a bump wrong at high speed and it kinda poped up. i am amazed how much faster i can run and how much longer, its not as feteuging (sp) on you. the steering is was faster with these shocks too. this might be a good mod for the budget racers.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011126.jpg

tri5ron
03-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the great info.
I am currently waiting for my 450r shocks to arrive that I purchased from one of the forum members here.

I will certainly be considering this mod to the shocks.

BTW- I'm 180 lbs., so do you think that will make any difference compared to your weight?
do you weigh more or less than me?

sc400ex_rider
03-17-2008, 07:10 AM
yes im a little more than you. you will see a big difference. :D im not jumping 30 ft gaps just tearin up the trails, hill climbing and jumping small stuff. the best part is how fast you can go through the woops or 1 ft bumps and holes.