PDA

View Full Version : Quiet core vs. Race core inserts

tri5ron
03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
what can you guys tell me about your experiences, and the differences between Quiet vs. Race core inserts?

How much quieter is a Quiet core?
Do they both use the same jetting?
Does the overall performance change much, between the two different inserts?

BTW- My breather is a Big Gun, (part# BG 2001), jetted, filter, and air box lid removed ,per Big Gun specs.

Java MonsterNRG
03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't personally know very much about Big gun but, on my WB exhaust I do not need a Q core. With 12 discs it measures out to be about 97db.

tri5ron
03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
bump.
anyone?

shadowwalker
03-19-2008, 08:35 AM
I know with my HMF it doesn't really make a difference to my ears, although people say it will read slightly lower.

red_rider_069
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
what can you guys tell me about your experiences, and the differences between Quiet vs. Race core inserts?

How much quieter is a Quiet core?
Do they both use the same jetting?
Does the overall performance change much, between the two different inserts?

BTW- My breather is a Big Gun, (part# BG 2001), jetted, filter, and air box lid removed ,per Big Gun specs.

the jetting ashould be the same.. i personally like loud things.. i run a yoshimura carbon no insert.. 107dbs :D, performencae isnt a great diffrece with quiet core insert.. if you run w/o an insert you'll get use to the noise of the engince and reving, and if you swicth back to a q-insert you'll not hear it and it sems like thers no pwowe

Java MonsterNRG
03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
the jetting ashould be the same.. i personally like loud things.. i run a yoshimura carbon no insert.. 107dbs :D, performencae isnt a great diffrece with quiet core insert.. if you run w/o an insert you'll get use to the noise of the engince and reving, and if you swicth back to a q-insert you'll not hear it and it sems like thers no pwowe

This is a bad misconception. "If it's loud it's making power!" NOT always true. Lets say for ex. Take 2 400EXs. One has a pipe & is jetted perfect.........Then the other has stock pipe with the airbox open & is jetted perfect. Guess which one makes more power? If you guessed the 1st one :blah: your wrong. Thats why we all pitch in and go quiet. Because quiet will very soon p3wn loud pipes in the power dept.

witech
03-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Heres a chart where we tested the new duals . Open full race dual FMF mufflers (arguably the most powerful ever tested ) against a set of my large core custom mufflers(toasters) with a very fine tapered screen . They are as quiet as stock and handely beat the insanely loud pipes in torque and horsepower . This may be the first time this has ever happened but we did prove that full race exhausts can be beaten with legal exhausts.

witech
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
chart

witech
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Here are the quiet core inserts. The screen is so fine you cant see through them but they work.

tri5ron
03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
now this is EXACTALLY the kind of feedback I was looking,(and hoping), for.
thanks guys.

I'm going to order the QC tommorow, to replace my "starting to deteriorate" race core.

After spending 26 years building Commercial, and Military Aircraft, I've had my share of rivet guns, heavy machinery, and excessive production factory noise.

my hearing is already shot, and if I can get "near same" performance, without unnecessarily creating more noise, as well as not tickin' off the neighbors,...
then I'm all for it.

witech
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I think the aftermarket needs to do a bit more research on quiet core technology though. Here is a FMF system from about a year ago. It used the 6 inch long by one inch tube as a quiet core. Quite effective at making the sound 96 decibles and horsepower on the top end was still right up there. The torque on the bottom end suffered a little bit. Some engines do respond better to the quiet cores. I actually had a engine produce just a hair more top end power with the quiet core in but it still was down in torque in the lower range. Tuning is a large factor. This is a year old before I developed my own systems.

The purple line is the open exhaust torque

witech
03-19-2008, 09:08 PM
The purple line is the open core exhaust. This is a heavily ported 460 . Using off the shelf FMF parts.

red_rider_069
03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Java MonsterNRG
This is a bad misconception. "If it's loud it's making power!" NOT always true. Lets say for ex. Take 2 400EXs. One has a pipe & is jetted perfect.........Then the other has stock pipe with the airbox open & is jetted perfect. Guess which one makes more power? If you guessed the 1st one :blah: your wrong. Thats why we all pitch in and go quiet. Because quiet will very soon p3wn loud pipes in the power dept.
i said it doesnt make atoo much diffrece.. so im not saying "louder makes more power" saying it feels feels diffrent when u put insert in but its technically the same.. becasue you get use to the loud noise!!:grr: .... idiot...

tri5ron
03-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Red Rider,
dont you feel that your last comment was a little out of line, and un-necessary?
I dont think anyone was trying to offend you, and was simply providing an answer to my original post/question.
How'bout we not go to name calling/flaming, and end up getting this thread locked down.

The replys by Witech, are exactally the kind of real, measureable, specs that I was hoping to obtain. I'm sure many here can benifit, and learn from this type of comparative study.

I for one, think this info should be made a sticky, and others who can contribute similar, or comparative results could also share their results, for the benifit of everyone here .

BTW- witech,
thanks for taking the time to reply with a most comprehensive and detailed responce. I do appreciate hearing from you guys who have the technical and practical experience that everyone here can learn from including myself.

Ride hard, and keep the rubber side down...

red_rider_069
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Red Rider,
dont you feel that your last comment was a little out of line, and un-necessary?
I dont think anyone was trying to offend you, and was simply providing an answer to my original post/question.
How'bout we not go to name calling/flaming, and end up getting this thread locked down.

The replys by Witech, are exactally the kind of real, measureable, specs that I was hoping to obtain. I'm sure many here can benifit, and learn from this type of comparative study.

I for one, think this info should be made a sticky, and others who can contribute similar, or comparative results could also share their results, for the benifit of everyone here .

BTW- witech,
thanks for taking the time to reply with a most comprehensive and detailed responce. I do appreciate hearing from you guys who have the technical and practical experience that everyone here can learn from including myself.

Ride hard, and keep the rubber side down...

well w/e keep your "thread up" just saying people say things that are usually out of place..