03-16-2008, 06:43 AM
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8901/ktm2008ou4.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8233/ktm20081kl9.jpg

ck450r
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
any other info on it?

SlOoT
03-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I only know that the one on the picture is a 450 wich is now being tested by one of the best riders here in Europe who rides for KTM.

hsr
03-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow does that thing look mean, sorta reminds me of the cannondale moto's in a way!

spanky101
03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
looks great! only thing i wish was to see ohlins on there still. WP should perform well tho!

yamahonda
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by spanky101
looks great! only thing i wish was to see ohlins on there still. WP should perform well tho! **** wp are way better then ohlins.. you will see...

ThePhantomRider
03-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Man, I am still probably gonna go DS 450...but that is beautiful....While I know some don't like the plastics, I love the bobbed rear fender and geometric angles they use...

Bottom line right now is that KTM and Can-Am have thrown down to the Japanese companies and they better respond quick.

TPR

joedirt
03-18-2008, 03:19 PM
You can keep your DS. Doesn't fit the bill for me.

JD

ThePhantomRider
03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
That's why the market is soo great now. There is something for everyone....and they all need to keep up or they will get left behind quick!!!

TPR

Simon MX49
03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Them shocks would go for a set of PB1's or most likely Fox Floats soon after I got it anyway :D

Very impressive, but I would still prefer a set of front fenders

CHADHIX
03-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Did anyone else notice the new dohc engine?! WOW:macho

cjpoole1
03-18-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Media/News/KTM%20450%20SXF%20ENGINE.jpg

TheNewn
03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow that thing looks sexy.

Who's going to want to buy the XC450 with the old motor when you can get this new one? I wonder how this motor compares to the old single overhead cam design of theirs. I know the old ones are supposed to be great.

OutlawBill
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by cjpoole1
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Media/News/KTM%20450%20SXF%20ENGINE.jpg that is the SX motor used in there MX bike so if you are going to make a MX quad use a MX motor. The SX bikes are DHOC with 4 gears. The XC bikes are SOHC with 6 speeds

JAKELTR450
03-20-2008, 01:15 AM
that is what i've been waiting for. i had bought an ltr in the meantime while this thing came out. not taking anything away from my ltr cause i love the thing it's awesome, but i've always wanted a ktm. so i will be putting down a deposit on one as soon as they are available.
also did you guys notice they are using the verysoft compound razr mx on them not the regular razr mx's?

Simon MX49
03-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I've heard from a pretty reliable source the new MX version will be faster than the 525 XC version. I just hope the new motor will hold up, and knowing KTM, Im sure they will:D

fastR
03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider

Bottom line right now is that KTM and Can-Am have thrown down to the Japanese companies and they better respond quick.

TPR

well look at the terible reliabilty of the ds, natelie has already gone through like ten of them

and what do you mean the japs are behind, have you seen the LTR or even the KFX, i wouldnt ride a can am or ktm if you payed me, anyways even if they were any good, there still too new

crazybob7596
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by fastR
i wouldnt ride a can am or ktm if you payed me, anyways even if they were any good, there still too new

another rider that can't afford a real bike.....

hurd88
03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
does anyone know why KTM decided to stick with a carburator? it just seems to me that fuel injection is the future. seemed a little strange that they would go carburated....

TheNewn
03-20-2008, 09:50 PM
These bikes need to be as reliable as possible for the races, the Carbs they're using are very nice high performance/tech, they wanted to keep price down they're already pretty spendy, and performance wise i dont think there's any real power gain with EFI over these carbs.

All my uneducated opinion.

jacobw
03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
actually there is some power to be had with efi over the carb becuase the efi can be dialed in for all the rpm ranges when you can only dial in a carb so good, efi has limitless tuning

TheNewn
03-21-2008, 02:09 AM
how much more power are we talking here? as much as 1 hp throughout the RPM range? more?

jacobw
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
there can be as much as 2-3 hp over a carb but when you start modding is where the efi starts to shine no more changing jets, i spend hours on my yfz and just used to hook the cannondale up and in less than 5 min was done

Johnny Minehan
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
:eek2: sooo sick!

ThePhantomRider
03-21-2008, 10:03 AM
well look at the terible reliabilty of the ds, natelie has already gone through like ten of them

and what do you mean the japs are behind, have you seen the LTR or even the KFX, i wouldnt ride a can am or ktm if you payed me, anyways even if they were any good, there still too new

Ahh the mind of the misinformed....terrible reliability???? There is a difference when you are not only building a whole quad from the ground up, including the motor, than partnering with another quad company to help you build yours. KTM gets points for that and having solid proven motors to utilize right off the bat.

Then you take that new motor and let your motor builders learn how to properly mod the motor to give you power and durability. It takes a little time to work out the kinks.

Natalie has gone through 10? Where? Jeremy Lawson has not broken a thing on his and Natalie's crew said there was no such issue, to that is a wrong statement.

As for Suzuki, their success is earned, they have had the quad for 3 years to develop, have put a ton of money into the race effort and have a great team of racers, stock the quad rates last in every shootout. Kawasaki went all out and created a mid pack stock bike even with the alloy chassis, efi etc, KTM and Can-Am passed them right up.

I view this as a good thing because the big 4 are no more, there are 7 450's out and every step, big or small each takes pushes the others to match and surpass or risk being left behind.

TPR

spanky101
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I think alot of rumors are just hear-say and arent valid at all. all the 450's out now are good bikes with their good and bad traits. Imo can am, ktm and i think the outlaw will do very well this year as first year bikes, well the ktm is doin great in the gncc series where they are 1st and 2nd in points!

TheNewn
03-21-2008, 07:33 PM

What are you talking about? Any info or proof that Natalie has gone through TEN different DS450's? Even FIVE DS450's?

How would he go though the whole bikes anyway? An issue comes up and instead of fixing the part that broke, he gets a whole new bike and gets rid of the other one completely?

How well did the KFX do last year in the races? the LTR? the KTM has already won its second race. and came in 4th and 5th its first race.

KTM and Can-Am are far ahead of the competition i'd say. Maybe not completely modded out to the racer extreme, but stock by far.

patrickj75
03-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Farr won 3 championships last year before the quad was even released. some of those were on a slightly modded bike. not too bad i'd say....

03-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Little vid.

Excuse the dumn *** host!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELcKLBKWVGM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELcKLBKWVGM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ex_Rider43
03-22-2008, 03:45 PM
TPR , how can you beleive what the pros are saying , they will always say that the bike is perfect and they never break anything which is false especially for the DS, you have to see it to beleive it.

As for the Ktm , I always said that i will never buy a quad on its 1st year, but I was more than impressed with the XC. I had the chance to ride it in florida and everything is perfect on this. The only thing i didnt liked on it was the thumb throttle shape and the stem lenght. The rest is unseen for a stock 450. Power, clutch , brakes, handling , suspension and weight, everything is there.

CHAR250R
03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
[As for the Ktm , I always said that i will never buy a quad on its 1st year, but I was more than impressed with the XC. I had the chance to ride it in florida and everything is perfect on this. The only thing i didnt liked on it was the thumb throttle shape and the stem lenght. The rest is unseen for a stock 450. Power, clutch , brakes, handling , suspension and weight, everything is there. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree on the first year purchase, also. I'm waiting for the 2nd year 525.

rollie
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Im deffintaly looking forward to buying a 450MX, maybe next season, ive always been a honda guy but these new KTM's impress the hell out of me,and they look amazing

As for the Can-Am, of course its going to have problems but there doing it right and giving the bikes to pro racers to test them to create a soild product, i saw an epic/fox DS this weekend and it looked incredable and was hauling the mail.

work2play
03-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Ahh the mind of the misinformed....

Natalie has gone through 10? Where? Jeremy Lawson has not broken a thing on his and Natalie's crew said there was no such issue, to that is a wrong statement.

TPR

You obviously missed the first race of the season. Lawson pulled off with a DNF in the first moto. Several other Can-Ams pulled off the track in other classes at Glen Helen with problems.

As to your comment that Suzuki had 3 years to get it right, you must have forgotten that the LTR won 7 of 14 ATVA races in 2006 (its first year out) and might have won the ATVA title if Jeremiha didn't get hurt, and the LTR won the WPSA title its first year out.

I hope the Can-Am and KTM raise the bar even further than Suzuki, but objectively the best that we can say right now is that (1) they have a few cool parts (most of which have to be taken off to make the Can-Am race ready), (2) the KTM is ridiculously expensive for what you get (and will require thousands more to make its engine and no-link suspension competitive) and (3) they presently they are unproven and untested. Time will tell.

madskrillz2
03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by work2play
You obviously missed the first race of the season. Lawson pulled off with a DNF in the first moto. Several other Can-Ams pulled off the track in other classes at Glen Helen with problems.

As to your comment that Suzuki had 3 years to get it right, you must have forgotten that the LTR won 7 of 14 ATVA races in 2006 (its first year out) and might have won the ATVA title if Jeremiha didn't get hurt, and the LTR won the WPSA title its first year out.

I hope the Can-Am and KTM raise the bar even further than Suzuki, but objectively the best that we can say right now is that (1) they have a few cool parts (most of which have to be taken off to make the Can-Am race ready), (2) the KTM is ridiculously expensive for what you get (and will require thousands more to make its engine and no-link suspension competitive) and (3) they presently they are unproven and untested. Time will tell.

Couldn't have been said better.

Quadevil
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
KTM is ridiculously expensive for what you get (and will require thousands more to make its engine and no-link suspension competitive)

Thank to the weak dollar, it's not just ktm's fault lol...$500 up in price...

Thousand's to make it's engine competitive? and the others don't?
What about the lots off details that could give it a good advantage in a race? that counts too.

Cheers :cool:

CGRACING72
03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
i like it!!! hopefully it's in my price range.

03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I would definately get a KTM if there was a local dealer but I guess I am sticking to honda or maybe a KFX in the near future?

tjabo
03-24-2008, 05:49 AM
the motor is bolt in vrom a mx bike this is no mx ktm quad

ACEwrench
03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
ill agree the rear shock has some problems..... but thousands of dollars to compete? We won the WORCS/ PIAA 8 hour race in the A class (5th overall) with a completely stock 525 with the only addition of a stabilizer and FLEXX bars oh and a HID light too). it can only get better with properly set up suspension.

ACEwrench
03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
Little vid.

Excuse the dumn *** host!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELcKLBKWVGM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELcKLBKWVGM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

that was the Supermoto Gand Championships in Nashville...the person in second is Nic Granlund the former ATV supermoto champ (YFZ 502cc)...it was funny at the time KTM kept refering to it as a 450... but it was more like a 540 (which is a kit they offer). Nic kept up with Tim on the dirt section but the KTM was WAY faster on the pavement. the quads turn pretty much the same laptimes as the pro bikes BTW

ThePhantomRider
03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Now drop the 505 in that package, throw on some Trail Tech lights, lightweight rims and sand tires and shred the dunes!!!

TPR

patrickj75
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by ACEwrench
that was the Supermoto Gand Championships in Nashville...the person in second is Nic Granlund the former ATV supermoto champ (YFZ 502cc)...it was funny at the time KTM kept refering to it as a 450... but it was more like a 540 (which is a kit they offer). Nic kept up with Tim on the dirt section but the KTM was WAY faster on the pavement. the quads turn pretty much the same laptimes as the pro bikes BTW

i thought i heard he rode his 450 for that. i know thats the bike he raced TT with last year.

krt400ex
03-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by patrickj75
i thought i heard he rode his 450 for that. i know thats the bike he raced TT with last year.

he was running the stock bore 450. and it was the xc...not mx

bh84
03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
i sat on that bike in RI, it is effin siiick, and its a stock bore 450

it has a carb with a fuel accelerator and throttle positioning sensor, it has the snappiness of an EFI with te user-friendlyness of a carb, i already have a 450XC and i love it, but itll be gone next year for that sexy beast

RSF Motorsports
03-28-2008, 10:31 PM
does anyone know when the MX is going to come out???

NJ450rider
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
I think end of this year or beginning of next year.

Ill tell you what if thats the machine there gonna release im going to put money down as soon as i can. This bike is going to straight up rip. (In stock form!)

Also im sure the production model will have front fenders. Would be smart if they made them easily removeable.

One other thing i noticed is only one oil filter. I wonder if the production model will have diff cases with two oil filters?

spanky101
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
that is the sx motor to their dirtbikes right now. And the xc model uses the older, and very tried and tested dohc engine. both are crazy in hp but i think the mx one makes more hp, but it also is very crazy from my experience with ktm dirtbikes.

Simon MX49
04-01-2008, 07:11 AM
I heard straight from KTM the 450MX is going to be as fast as the 525 XC stock.

The 525 is being proven by Mcgill every race, all the proof I need

Scro
04-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Don't forget about the GNCC. There are four on pro row and no one has placed inside the top ten through the first 3 rounds. The best finish was 10th by Bithell in Florida. Last year, he was consistently running inside the top 5. I've heard all kinds of stories on the other sites about them blowing oil and overheating.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the Can-Am be a competitive quad in the pro ranks. But the way things are looking at the moment, the Scam-am's (as others have put it) are a HUGE let-down.

NJ450rider
04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah im really hoping can am can get there bugs worked out. I think its gonna take all this season to perfect them.

IMHO the top dog right now in the atv world is KTM.

And once the 450mx comes out and they sign some pros to race them there gonna be hard to beat.

04-06-2008, 03:25 AM
its coming out 09 maybe end of 08

SlOoT
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
The first big race was last weekend in Germany and the 2 KTM 450MX test quads were there...

..and they smoked the competition.

didntseeitcomin
04-11-2008, 07:22 AM
^^^^^^ Please do tell more about the race and the quads or send a link with some pictures of the race.

SlOoT
04-13-2008, 12:13 PM
The first 2 KTM's are the MX450 models.

http://www.quadteamtenvregelaar.nl/content/view/29/44/

ACEwrench
04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
he was running the stock bore 450. and it was the xc...not mx

who ever you you heard that from was not telling the truth....there is no way a 450xc could out run Nics 512cc...the reason i know that is because..

1: we run KTMs (we have a 525 and a 450) and know the quad's capabilites

2: Tim Farr told Nic it wasnt

3: the case is the same for the 450, 525 the bore is just different..KTM also has a BOLT on 540 kit ( i know that cuz we have one) just cuz the sticker on the side says 450 doesnt mean it was

4: there is no CC rule in quad supermoto..its open. and why would KTM spend all that time and money to go there and beat the defending supermoto champion with a stock bore quad knowing the competition would be running a stroked, big bore.

patrickj75
04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ACEwrench
who ever you you heard that from was not telling the truth....there is no way a 450xc could out run Nics 512cc...the reason i know that is because..

1: we run KTMs (we have a 525 and a 450) and know the quad's capabilites

2: Tim Farr told Nic it wasnt

3: the case is the same for the 450, 525 the bore is just different..KTM also has a BOLT on 540 kit ( i know that cuz we have one) just cuz the sticker on the side says 450 doesnt mean it was

4: there is no CC rule in quad supermoto..its open. and why would KTM spend all that time and money to go there and beat the defending supermoto champion with a stock bore quad knowing the competition would be running a stroked, big bore.

from what i read, this year at Stateline they implimented a 450cc rule for the Pro quads to level the playing field.

ACEwrench
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Now im not sticking up for Nic here, im just relaying the facts. Tim ran a great race and deserved the win, as KTM did. Reguardless of the size of his motor they won a National Championship against a guy who could be the best Supermoto racer in the country. Nasmoto, who put on the event, is no longer around so there wont be a National for Supermoto this year that i know of..

ACEwrench
04-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by patrickj75
from what i read, this year at Stateline they implimented a 450cc rule for the Pro quads to level the playing field.

This year they did...which was a first for quad supermoto. There are several racing bodies in supermoto because there is no set series..each one set their own classes and sizes.

I was there and raced it...it was alot of fun

i was all for the 450 rule..it makes it a riders class instead of a CC class!

FHKracingZ
04-16-2008, 12:45 PM
The KTMs look good, but ive heard from a friend that races proam with me at nationals that runs two of them, they get clapped out really quick..

The canam's are junk from what ive seen. Lawson's while we were in florida made maybe 1 moto in 4 days of being at amp extreme, snapped a rear shock, broken exhaust, frame bolt came out, tweaked spindle. dont hop on board yet.

And by the way

the honda trx450r 06 and newer motor is the most proven motor in motocross. Its proven over and over to be the most reliable and yet build the most power.. Plus KTM's no link setup is a joke.

Quadevil
04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
The KTMs look good, but ive heard from a friend that races proam with me at nationals that runs two of them, they get clapped out really quick..
Plus KTM's no link setup is a joke.

We heard lots of things from friends...i've heard too...

Why no link it's a joke?

ACEwrench
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Quadevil
We heard lots of things from friends...i've heard too...

Why no link it's a joke?

^^^^^^

yea what he said

quadracer85st
04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
hey everyone hows it going. i think all the 450's are great atv's. as far as the people saying how well this pro did at this race, and this pro at that race.. stuff to compare which atv is better is silly. the pros can pretty much ride any brand and compete well. tim farr was always fast, mcgill was always fast, before they got picked up by factorys so its no importance. its not the bikes there riding its the rider. imo. i think the ktm is going to be a great motocross quad depending on how much it retails for. i def wont be jumping on the train just yet. i think honda is gonna change it up for 09 and have a much better updated r as will the rest of the factorys. it going to be interesting to see how they compete.

Dave400ex
04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Can-Am has been proven junk on the GNCC side, so far. I've been told Warnert doesn't want to make changes either... that could be a problem. The KTM is doing awesome. I believe McGill could be winning on his Honda with the shape he is in, but KTM has to be super happy with their results.

The 09 YFZ coming out this year is being talked up a lot and I think should be interesting. I'm not a Yamaha fan, but if Ballance helped develop it, it should be good. Not sure if that will be announced over the summer or this fall. Heard nothing about Honda for 09 yet. They stay quiet. I could see them waiting until 2010 to make changes. Hard telling, but machines are getting better and better!

cjpoole1
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Yamaha's dealer meeting is usually the first of June and new models usually hit the dealers first of August.

elementryder
04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
can somone post the pics up again they wont show up for me

Simon MX49
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Bithell, Sturdivant and Johnson were all sitting under the Can-Am rig at Big Buck with blown motors, two DNF's in a row for Bithell, which is a damn shame because he has the speed and talent to be on the podium with Mcgill, Sommers Cook and any other rider on Pro row. I would not buy a Can Am if they gave it to me, they are sending motor after motor to the scrap yard.

Adam and Taylor are both proving the KTM is the quad to beat. The only bad thing I have heard about the KTM is that they DO wear out quickly, Dirt Wheels said after 3 or 4 hard rides the seat cover is ripped, and everything is quickly wearing down. How this pertains to a normal rider I dont know, but I'm hesitant on buying the first year KTM, and all Hell will freeze over before I even think about buying a first year Can Am

Pappy
04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Houston isnt having any luck with the new KTM, and I know of others suffering from tranny issues.

i agree that bithell and sturdivant and even johnson has what it takes to battle up front and it flat blows that they are grenading engines and breaking frames. sure will end up being a rough year on some of the best talent

Simon MX49
04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
I am having more problems with Borich on the Suzuki each week as well. I think the Suzuki is a great machine for the Track, but in the woods he's quickly showing its short comings. You know Borich has the speed to keep up with ANYONE out there, but the Suzuki is holding him back I think

400exrider707
04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I think at this point it's safe to say.... DON'T BUY A FIRST YEAR MODEL!!! We've learned this over and over and over again. No matter how much it's hyped up to be the best of the best... just wait a year or two...:scary: