PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting valves

blue_ex_rider
03-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Alright i got my 400 back together and was going to adjust the valves I put the sparks x4 racing cam in it.It didnt come with inspects to say what to adjust them to but i read were it said 05 and 06 so that is what i put them on. The cam still has the decompression release on it but there is no spring or plunger on it. And when i go to start it the exhaust valve is staying open and wont crank. But if i adjust the vakves out to were they are loose then it will crank but they are really noisey of course. But I didnt know if it should have the spring and plunger in it if that wouldnt make it start i think on like the big web cams they take the decompression off but am not sure > if anyone has any insight that would be great help.

2muchquad
03-15-2008, 10:24 PM
You may have to remove the decomp assembly but im not certain,maybe somebody will chime in,i'd like to know myself.Did you call sparks?

blue_ex_rider
03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
tried but they were closed so i thought I would get some thoughts on here since they wouldnt be open till monday but i am going to call monday.

CSR400EX
03-15-2008, 11:34 PM
remove the whole decompression mechanism, and it should be fixed. this happend to a friend of mines EX.

blue_ex_rider
03-15-2008, 11:54 PM
what kind of cam did he have.

CSR400EX
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
stage 1 HotCam.

blue_ex_rider
03-16-2008, 12:32 AM
what was happening on his

Dustin075
03-16-2008, 12:58 AM
If i recall the cam needs the decompression mechanism in order to start.. The cam keeps the exhaust valve open slightly to release compression to make it easier to start. So get the decompression mechanism back in and she should fire up. Dont quote me on this. I have a hot cam and i dont have the extra lobe.

blue_ex_rider
03-16-2008, 01:02 AM
The decompression is on it just dont have the spring and plunger in it and i know the webcams require them to be off but it ddint come with anything saying that with my cam it had not intructions at all. But if i adjust the valve out to were they are real lose it will start but when I adjust them right it wont fire because i think the exhaust valve on the right side is stayiong open so you think i should find me a springer and plunger and out back on there i. the cam is brand new jsut got in yesterday

Dustin075
03-16-2008, 01:14 AM
If the cam has the decompression mechanism and you dont have the decompression mechanism in the head it will not start. The cam is made to open the exhaust vavle to release compression for easy staring. The hot cams have no decompression mechanism on them, so you have to remove the spring and pluger.

CSR400EX
03-16-2008, 01:17 AM
the cam doesnt need the decompression. i ran my stage 1 without one, and even when i got a 440 kit i didnt need it. it started fine.

blue_ex, thats exactly what my buddy's did. you could loosen up that exhaust valve and it would start, but tick really bad. tightened it up and all it would do is hit. we pressed the flange off the cam, removed the decompression, put it all together, and BAM fired right up.

blue_ex_rider
03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I think all the valves will adjust right except the right exhaust is that how your buddies did. Also i got my head from a guy that was running a webcam and i know they take the whole decomperssion release off of them wonder if that has something to do with it

Dustin075
03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
I also have a 440 kit and a stage two hot cam. The hot cam has no decompression mechanism on it. The cam he has does so it need to be there.http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/dustin075/PIC-0158.jpg

Dustin075
03-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Read this post!
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=319973&highlight=decompression+mechanism

CSR400EX
03-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Dustin, i will bet a $100 ANY 400EX will run without the decompression mechanism. i worked in a shop for over a year and seen two or three EX's come in and turned out to be that junk mechanism. i take 'em off, put it back together, and they all ran great and started with no troubles. you can put the plunger and spring in and it should run unless its not working properly. i say take it off and save a headache.

blue_ex_rider
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
i think either way it would work if I took the decompression off or if I just out tyhe spring back in. i bought the heqad from some one that had a web cam in it and they took out the spring and plunger and i figured sparks would take the decompression thign off but they dont i guess that is just a web thing.