PDA

View Full Version : shock powdercoating?

j450rking
03-15-2008, 08:23 PM
i do my own powdercoating and i rebuild my own shocks so what i'm wondering is can i powdercoat the bodys of my shocks? is there anything inside the shocks besides the valves on the shock rod and the bladder inside the rezzy? i was thinking the only thing there could be inside the shock body other then that stuff is maybe like somthing in the little hole that lets the oil flow to the rezzy but i don't think there is anything in there. if anybody knows anything about this please tell me. also dose anybody know were i can get valves and seals for shocks other then the shock companys?

400exMO
03-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't know about pcing a shock body. I would suggest gutting it before. Atleast remove the oil, because heating will break it down. I know you can have them hard andonized, but I'm not sure of the process to do this.

j450rking
03-15-2008, 10:06 PM
thats why i said i rebuild my own shocks. i ment take them apart tape off the preload threads with high heat tape and remove the bushings and of course take everything out and then powdercoat them. i almost never see shocks in anything but bare and polished aluminum and i can do some pretty nice stuff with powdercoat so i figured that i would try it on some works shocks that i just got.

j450rking
03-15-2008, 10:09 PM
by the way the shocks are used and i got them cheap i wouldn't try it on new ones:D . and i am also wondering if i could powdercoat the rezzys? they arent comp ajustible so i don't think there is anything inside them as far as seals or anything.

Dave400ex
03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I would say NO. I think you can Molycoat them.

j450rking
03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
i would like a reson why not. i think molycoat has to be baked too so i wouldn't see a dif

Dave400ex
03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
The powder is thicker and will hold more heat. The moly is thin and helps get rid of heat. There are coatings called DLC that people use on shocks, but I've never seen a powdercoated one. Ask Pappy about it.

j450rking
03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
i don't think it will make that much of a dierence