PDA

View Full Version : 05 Crank question

jshtex
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Ok, I purchased a brand new 05 that our sponsor still had in the crate in Dec of 06. I have no idea how long he had it before that. I understand that the cranks were updated with a new collar and seal at some point during 05 and that you can replace the crank with a new one to get the updated parts.

My question is, is there a way to check (without splitting the cases) if my crank already has the updates? For instance could you just pull the side cover off and maybe the clutch basket or something?

Also... did anyone ever start making the collars?

03-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't think any of the came from the factory with the update. I could be wrong.

rt20ps
03-16-2008, 06:39 AM
My 04 is still on the stock crank. I'd just ride it.

jshtex
03-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I don't think any of the came from the factory with the update. I could be wrong.

I am sure I have read that they did start putting the updated crank in towards the end of 05.

My 04 is still on the stock crank. I'd just ride it.

Beleive me if all we were doing is "just riding it" I would be right there with you. :) But as much money as we spend racing I need to do whatever it takes to make sure the bike finishes every race. Plus it has to be a little cheaper to catch it before it fails?

So back to the original question. Can you tell without splitting the cases?

rt20ps
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
You can see if the collar is present by removing the clutch cover and driven gear on the crank. I have installed a bunch of these updated cranks but I don't think you can get the collar without buying a crank. I have also replaced alot of 04-05 cranks with the Hotrods assembly and stock style bearings and seals without problem so in my opinion the collar is not necessary. The collar fits extremely tight so you have to be careful installing it so not to damage the new seal. Furthermore the collar is nearly impossible to get back off if you ever need to split the cases again.

The 04 I was refering too in the other post was purpose built for MX with 14-1 comp, cam, porting, ignition mods blah blah blah. I never had a problem with the stock crank or bearings. I even replaced the transmission once and re-used the stock crank and bearings.