PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a spark enhancer or aftermarket CDI box

austin20
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone used a spark enhancer or aftermarket CDI box if so could you tell any sort of diffrence

Jnblaster05
03-15-2008, 07:07 PM
yeah i bought one off ebay for 60 bucks i could feel a bit of a diffrence it was kinda crazy

austin20
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
a wat spark enhancer or cdi

Jnblaster05
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
ooopps sorry cdi box

austin20
03-15-2008, 07:34 PM
thanks
wat brand
and would you reccomend it

rcatvrider
03-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm kind of scared of getting an aftermarket cdi. I hear you can float a valve and all this other stuff. I found a +1000rpm one for 40 bucks but hear you shouldn't even consider one without cam and valve work.

2muchquad
03-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Most people know when to shift so an extra 1000rpm wont hurt the motor.I have heard others say that certain aftermarket cdi boxes make starting difficult in colder weather so do your homework;)

my88r
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
i had a sparks cdi. sold it after 2 rides

it didn't like to start cold. unless you have a built motor. a aftermarket cdi is worthless.

buster024
03-16-2008, 01:56 AM
unless you have a built motor. a aftermarket cdi is worthless.

I would respectfully disagree. I don't have a built motor, and I think my Big Gun cdi was one of the better mods I have done to date. If you ride dunes, or anything with a w.o.t, then you really miss the revs once you've ridden with it. I felt the cdi FAR SURASSED anything my Yoshimura gave me. On tight trails, or anything like real mx, you probably wouldn' t miss it.
As far as cold starts, just electrical tape your old one to it, start your bike with the stock one, get it warm and switch 'em. Two seconds.....

RaginRedneck
03-16-2008, 02:28 AM
I recently bought a Moose CDI/Jet Kit combo. I'm really happy with it so far. I believe the specs on the Moose is that it only advances the timing 3 degrees. It actually seemed to help my cold starting, plus the rev limiter being removed helped out some as well. The other advantage is that it came with a DynoJet Jet kit that I already needed since I added a slip-on exhaust and a K&N filter at the same time. The Moose kit costs $130 so since I needed the jet kit it was well worth it.

Just my $.02

Brauap
03-16-2008, 07:43 AM
J/W you said to tape your stock one to it (good idea!) but could you run w/o one completely? Could you start w/o it. What would happen?

Sorry to get off topic..

rcatvrider
03-16-2008, 07:59 AM
that does sound like a good idea. Is it accessible without the plastics removed?

Brauap
03-16-2008, 08:07 AM
yes, it is. But its 100% ez-ier with shaved fenders.

hornetgod13
03-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Initially, I installed an AMR Stage 3 Aftermarket CDI Box and the cold starting was hideous. It was misfiring really bad too. I notified the seller, and the company aggreed it had issues with the AMR boxes and sent me a more expensive ProCom CDI. The ProCom Rev Box is Awesome. The timing advance, raised limiter, idling, and acceleration are all Perfect! A smart buy if you ask me.

I also installed an AMR Monster Coil. I had read good reviews and had heard good things about it. It's a top notch product and functions much better than their Rev Boxes.

coryatver
03-16-2008, 08:42 AM
stock motor 400ex make peak power at around 5,600 rpm. If your reving it to the rev limiter you are making less power you need to shift earlier. A rev limiter for a stock motor does nothing for it. A heavily modified motor the peak power may come on higher into the rpms making it worth putting a rev limiter on it. That is pretty crazy to go as far as switching them out when getting it warmed up.:huh They reason it won't start cold blooded is becuase the aftermarket boxes are just the xr250 box which is kick start so the box is not designed for an electric start which turns the motor over slower. Oh not to mention they mark up the price more than 50%. And those spark enhancers are the biggest joke ever. While your at it get a Powernow, boysen quickshot, and 400ex hd timing chain which is a marked up 450r stock one then you will have just about every worthless high price product.

Wheelie
03-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
stock motor 400ex make peak power at around 5,600 rpm. If your reving it to the rev limiter you are making less power you need to shift earlier.

A stock 400ex makes peak power at 7100rpm, the stock rev limiter is 9100rpm. However you are correct about the shift point, if someone is tagging the rev limiter on a stock EX on a regular basis, thier riding style needs some adjustment.

FWIW--I have a heavily modded EX and I rarely tag the stock 9100 rev limit. The aftermarket CDI is tempting to me, not because the higher rev limit, but the more agressive timing curves.

n811
03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
the White brothers CDI was the 2nd thing I changed after a pipe and I thought it was just as noticeable as the pipe. Worth every penny! It must be the curve? I also dont hit my rev limits well sometimes in 2nd gear when the bottom of 3rd is too low but it helped that all out.

Brauap
03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
ProCom.. hmm.. their on eBay for 35 bucks. I heard bbaadd things about them tho. like it kills your battery 3 or 4 times. But, your the second person who said it didnt..

REDRIDDER
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
i would like to know more about the monster coil i was thinking about buying one but is it really worth what like $70 bucks shipped or something like that?what were the gains like? does it make it run a little hotter? does it start easier for higher compression engines?thanks.

03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I wish there was a aftermarket CDI box with no problems like OEM except it had like +250 RPM's. I was surprised how much I missed having extra PRM's when I took off my White Brothers E-Series. The pipe gave really minimal RPM gains but it was enough to make a difference. In trails you want to always be in higher RPM where when you have to slow for a turn your in mid range. Thats where you get more power because if your in mid RPM through straights or fast parts then ht a tight turn your RPM's drop or if you hit whoops in mid RPM. So I found myself near the rev limiter and having to shift to a higher gear where I wasnt making the power I needed. Now witht eh HMF no complaints at all because it has double the gains over the WB E-Series but still +250 rpm is all I want. +1000 is stupid you can blow your motor and thats way to much RPM than you need unless you have some crazy stroker nitrous drag racing machine.