PDA

View Full Version : need help fast

suzukigirl
03-15-2008, 04:18 PM
i know this is in the wrong forum, but i needed an answer fast.....i need to drain the oil on my friends warrior....i know the bolt i need to remove is under the engine..but the problem is its starting to round over....the guy who changed the oil last time put it on way too tight...how can i get this off to drain the oil? any help would be greatly appreciated!

hondaking52
03-15-2008, 04:31 PM
if you have an impact gun use tht, the shock will break it loose, or get some vise grips and try them..

suzukigirl
03-15-2008, 04:49 PM
tried vise grips...didn't work...and theres no room for an impact wrench...everytime we try to loosen it metal flakes off, and now its almost completey rounded...we even tried those special sockets that have the rods in them for rounded bolts, and that didn't work...i have no clue what to try now...nothings working

416exfreak
03-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by suzukigirl
tried vise grips...didn't work...and theres no room for an impact wrench...everytime we try to loosen it metal flakes off, and now its almost completey rounded...we even tried those special sockets that have the rods in them for rounded bolts, and that didn't work...i have no clue what to try now...nothings working

This is the most backwoods fix ever...but weld a nut to it with a good head on it, then get it out. Then find another bolt to replace the messed up one with. Ive done it on my 400 once or twice.

Its crude, but effective.:ermm:

suzukigirl
03-15-2008, 05:25 PM
hmm...now that might work....exept its an aluminum bolt and i can't tig weld...i think we're just going to take it in to the shop and let them take it off...then i can get all the other work done on it

thanks for all the help

mod440ex
03-15-2008, 05:37 PM
you could use a chisel and hammer and hit the edge of the screw head. make sure that you have a new bolt to replace it.

hondaking52
03-15-2008, 06:12 PM
you could also get a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on there, so if its metric, get a standard socket tht about the same size just a bit smaller, kinda works like halfs, its worth a shot, and ur dealer will prob charge you way more then wat its worth to do....

ZeroLogic
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by hondaking52
you could also get a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on there, so if its metric, get a standard socket tht about the same size just a bit smaller, kinda works like halfs, its worth a shot, and ur dealer will prob charge you way more then wat its worth to do....

Thats what I do when I get stripped bolts.:scary:

suzukigirl
03-15-2008, 09:44 PM
its not my quad so i don't want to bash on it...the guy said he would take it in to the dealer for them to take it off....so whatever

CSR400EX
03-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by hondaking52
you could also get a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on there, so if its metric, get a standard socket tht about the same size just a bit smaller, kinda works like halfs, its worth a shot, and ur dealer will prob charge you way more then wat its worth to do.... as a matter of fact, my dad's warrior had that happen, and i believe the correct size was a 19mm socket, i hammered a 18 mm on itand made sure it was on good and that did the trick. you wont mess anything up by hammering on it, just dont get carried away, a small hit is all i needed.

mod440ex
03-15-2008, 10:46 PM
you could drill a hole about 1/4 in into the bottom of the bolt and use an easy out, you can get them at auto store, and use that to get it out. just another idea

suzukigirl
03-15-2008, 11:01 PM
yeah, its a 19 mm socket...but i don't want to screw up my dad's sockets, so i won't hammer the 18mm on...i'll use the guys socket set..lol

mod440ex
03-15-2008, 11:03 PM
before i screwed up any socket i would use an easy out, its really easy to do. probably the least likey to screw anything up

CSR400EX
03-15-2008, 11:28 PM
an easy out is a idea, but you gotta drill and possibly screw up the screen and spring that is under the drain plug. plus you may get shavings in the motor as well. it would be a last resort to me.

and your not really gonna screw up a socket by hammering on it, unless you are really hammering on it hard. your not gonna hit it hard enough to mess it up doing that idea.

suzukigirl
03-15-2008, 11:33 PM
that was my only worry.....i'll try that in the morning...hopefully it will work

03-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Cut a slice out the middle with an angle grinder and treat it like a large screw. But use something with a lot of leaverage to free it up. If its alloy, don't forget to give it a tap with a hammer first.

suzukigirl
03-16-2008, 03:46 PM
i got the plug off using this socket called bolt off....thanks for the suggestions everyone

mod440ex
03-16-2008, 03:49 PM
yeah i didnt even think about something like that, i think that craftsman make something similar to that. oh well, at least you got it off without tearing anything up.

suzukigirl
03-16-2008, 04:33 PM
yeah, this is the one from craftmsan

wilkin250r
03-17-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm glad you found the solution. Before I saw the end of the thread, the Craftsmen Bolt-Out was going to be my suggestion.

The easy-out idea wouldn't work. It's fine for nuts and bolts that are broken off or there isn't much holding them in, but they don't work well for bolts that are over-tightened. They don't grip all that well, so if it's so tight that you're rounding off the head, then it's too tight for the easy-out to work.

I've broken many easy-outs learning this stupid lesson. And the really hard part is, once you break of the easy-out inside the hole, it's REALLY difficult to drill out because the easy-out is hardened steel.

webbnaste
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
The easy out is defenetlythe way to go, did that on my 300ex, and it came right out

John451
03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the thing with ez outs is that if u brake them the only thing to drill those out would be a diamond drill because they don't make drill bits harder than ezouts. Craftsman has the sockets where the inside has the backwards spiral blades to suck it into the socket then pops it free and out.