PDA

View Full Version : dune quad

m.h.s.c.#527
03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
alright i don't have much experience in this field my grandpa wants a quad that will haul him up the dunes and is looking at the raptor 700 i hate to see him get this instead of a 450 but i don't know what to tell him to get he is looking for these things in a quad

4 stroke
reverse
not wanting to do allot besides pipe/jet and paddles

firefighterjosh
03-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Raptor 700 will be good. Just as quick as a 450 and rides alot better for somone who isn't a racer

wilkin250r
03-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Just how aggressive is he looking to ride?

The 450s really are a quads for the racing types. Even if you don't actually race, but are a very aggressive rider. Always looking to jump, slide around corners, pull wheelies, pound through whoops as fast as you can go. The 450s have a lot to offer, but they REALLY do demand a lot from the rider.

If you cruise around corners rather than slide, or prefer to go around the whoops rather than through them, or never get all 4 wheels off the ground at once, then maybe a 450 isn't for you. You would probably be better served by a larger machine (like the Raptor 700) that has much of the performance you'll need, but with a power delivery that's a little more forgiving.

Maybe he wants to go even more casual, and forgo the clutch and shifting altogether. The KFX700 has plenty of power to pull anybody up the dunes, but is really easy to ride with the automatic transmission. The only drawback is weight, it might be a bit much for an old man to muscle around if it flips over.

pro-rider46
03-16-2008, 11:44 AM
if he is looking to have a snappy quad, and act like a young kid on it. i would by a 450, prefferably honda, they are a lil more roomy for a older fellow compared to other quads. but the raptor has reverse, efi, larger quad, plenty of power,

i would probably get a raptor for in the dunes, but have him test ride both of them. see what he preffers.

kawiefan
03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
If I were him I would probably get the 700 b/c of the reverse and efi. It has tons of torque so you can lug it around without always having to be on the gas like most of the 450s

BlaineKaiser450
03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
ive never ridden a raptor on dunes, but on trails my buddies is 100% better than my 450r IMO. I say he needs a raptor :macho

416exfreak
03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I vote raptor.

My dads has basically the mods listed above (pipe, filter, re-programmed). And it will haul the mail.

Plenty of power and the EFI, reverse make it a killer quad to ride around....in a good way...lol.

03-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I say raptor 700r. 450's are built to race and need to be pushed. The 700r sits higher so its more of a crusing yet still sporty quad with some pretty big power.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-17-2008, 09:28 AM
well he goes to sand mountain nevada which is alot of just straight climbing he doesnt really ride around he just climbs them i think the raptor will probobly be alright