PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain install

procircuit406ex
03-15-2008, 02:08 PM
My timing chain is stretched horribly and I was wondering how hard they are to install. Is there anything inparticular I should look out for? I will probably be replacing it with a Sparks HD chain. If you have any suggestions on other chains though I would like to hear them and why.

Thanks,
Tyler

Honda#4
03-15-2008, 02:12 PM
The CRF cam chain is probably the most popular for the ex.

bdtoady22
03-15-2008, 03:40 PM
i put the crf chain in mine and it was like 40 bucks asfor how big of a job well it took me about 4hrs on the safe side and you will have to buy a right hand case gasket like 16 bucks the valve cover gaskit is metal and i reused it with no problems

REDRIDDER
03-15-2008, 03:45 PM
i bought my CRF450R timing chain at service Honda for $27 bucks.heavier duty than the 400ex chain and is thicker by approximately 1/8"= less stretch and peace of mind for bigger bore engines.part # is 14401-MEB-671 .good luck.

BigBore24
03-15-2008, 06:19 PM
not for sure but i bet the hd chain your talking bout is the same thickness as the crf chain

CSR400EX
03-15-2008, 09:31 PM
the sparks HD cam chain is probably a CRF450 chain, and then Sparks puts their name on it and sells it for twice as much:devil:

2muchquad
03-15-2008, 09:43 PM
I just installed a new timing chain in mine today.I used a crf450 chain from a 07,they are the same from 02 on up.It took me a few hours but i wasnt watching the clock.You wont have to remove the oil pump as some have said,theres enough clearance behind it to remove the chain.One thing to look out for is the cam tensioner install,its a pain in the rear to replace when the exhaust is still on,i didnt want to remove the header,next time i just might though.Once you drain your oil from the motor and tank its pretty much straight forward depending on your mechanical skills,get a manual if you think you'll have trouble timing the cam.Dont forget to loctite your cam bolts,they have been known to back out...dont ask me how i know that:D Once you do time the cam and install the rocker cover,its a good idea to check your valve clearances since your already there and at tdc.