PDA

View Full Version : Smart engine people...what happened?

quadwanter
03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Before i went riding today i changed my 14T sprocket for a 13T...after a long day of riding roads and open fields we headed back to the truck. I was goin around a corner when all of a sudden i hear metal clinkin. I look down to find that the sprocket came off and there is oil all around the shifter shaft. My first thought was...oh crap i broke my case! But after looking at it, there is no crack...and the oil level is perfect. Now, looking at the spline there is a little cylinder that slid out a little. So could this be trans. oil? My oil level in the trans was good but there was quite a bit of pressure when i loosened the check bolt. I also remembered putting a little more oil then the check bolt on when i did my oil. (oil came out the check bolt and i added a little more to top it off, could this have caused the pressure?)

So here is my question(s)
1. Where could that oil have come from?
2. What is the cylinder type thing that slide out then back in behind the sprocket spine, everything seemed tight when i pushed it back in.
3. Is there always a little space between the sprocket and case or is there something that fell out that i am missing?

anyone know? thanks!

4bidden
03-14-2008, 08:32 PM
You're talking about the collar, and yes, without it you will definitely lose some oil. Just put the collar back on, and tighten your sprocket bolt with thread lock this time and you'll be fine.

quadwanter
03-15-2008, 01:23 AM
alright thank you very much....i was kinda worried since that oil was there but now i know that seal/collar holds in the oil! lol thanks

450RGNCC
03-16-2008, 01:55 PM
there was pressure when you took out the check bolt??? there shouldnt be pressure in the transmission, check all of the vent lines and make sure that they are not clogged or pinched.