PDA

View Full Version : wont start after hot??

QuadRacer18
03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
ok guys, i have an 06 450r that was once electric start but the previous owner installed a kickstart conversion. The motor has minimal hours on it and was built by bcs. The motor has a 13.5:1 comp. CP piston, port and polish, bored out fcr, k&N filter and full exhaust. The quad fires right up first kick when its cold(even in 20 degree weather) but after the quad is rode it is impossible to get it to fire again unless you kick it 20-30 times. The spark plugs look VERY clean after being checked and replaced and the jetting seems right on. The quad does seem to smoke a VERY minimal amount of black smoke at high rpm's though. Could this be that the quad is too rich?? I dont know what main jet is in the quad but what would you guys recommend? Its not the valves if the motor fires right up when its cold, is it?? any help is appreciated.

by the way, because this quad was once electric start but then converged to a kicker, it does not have hot start, could this be the culperate?

klutch
03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18

by the way, because this quad was once electric start but then converged to a kicker, it does not have hot start, could this be the culperate?

I think not having a hot start could be playing a big part in why it won't start.

Dave400ex
03-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by klutch
I think not having a hot start could be playing a big part in why it won't start.

Yep! Mine only starts really hot with the hot start.

D Bergstrom
03-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
Its not the valves if the motor fires right up when its cold, is it??

It could be the valves. Check the clearance on them. When the valves on my CRF tightened up, it would start fine when cold, but would be a b**** to start when hot. Pretty much the same thing you are describing. Does not take long to check them.

Doug

the Z Man
03-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Do you ever get a backfire pop on th efirst or second kick, mine is doing that, I think it is the valves, checking clearances tonight...

QuadRacer18
03-14-2008, 09:34 PM
im going to check the clearances asap. does anyone have the clearances for an 06 with a hrc cam?

also, can i hook a hot start up to the fcr considering the bike was originally electric start or do i have to buy a carb off of a kickstart 450r? thanks guys!

the Z Man
03-15-2008, 09:04 AM
The er carb has the spot fo rthe hot start, but it has to be drilled and tapped, I had a friend do it to his and he said it wasn't that hard to do.

kbh78
03-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Does honda sell a hot start kit for the er to convert it over

03-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I live in South Florida where it is very hot all the time. I never use the hot start. Mine isn't even hooked up. You have another problem. Check the valves. I also read somewhere that if you convert to a kicker you need to add the compacitor from the kicker model to hold a charge to make it start easier. Ypu might want to check into that. I think Chad502ex posted that information.

cutter
03-16-2008, 04:33 AM
hi, i had trouble with my 450er .Tried jetting stuffed around with lots ,got bike running good still had trouble starting when hot after stalling.checked valves ,spark plug you name it i tried it.Bike has yoshi pipe,pro design air filter no airbox lid,rev limitr modand hrc kit.After thinking about it the only thing we didnt try was adjusting air/fuel mix screw,turned it out 2 turns ,made a big dif started alot easyer.May work for you may not .try between 2 and 2 1/2 turns.

QuadRacer18
03-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I checked and i do have the capacitor. is there any chance that the capacitor went bad or do they usually hold up pretty well? Does anyone else recommend adusting the air/fuel screw? thanks guys

kbh78
03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
my 06er doesnt start very easy either after it is hot its alot better since i put the hrc on but still not like it should i noticed if you push the throttle enough to feel the switch open it starts a little better but dont give gas by no means when your starting you can feel that switch if you bearly tap the throttle