PDA

View Full Version : Bike shorts under your gear?

QuadJunkies
03-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Kelsey for the longest time has been riding with ther JEANS on under her riding pants!:huh
No matter what kind of gear she wears, her bumm gets sore :o and wearing and added layer seems to fix that. We told her get her butt off the seat-PROBLEM SOLVED!!hehe!That doesnt go over well though..lol
Im taking her shopping tomrrrow to try and find something locally such as a pair of bicycle shorts to try.I cant imagine how miserable wearing jeans under your gear is when its 90 degrees-and thats what were facing in Lake Havasu, AZ next week.
Does anyone have any proven suggestiosn on what to get ? Im not going to have time to order anything online and want her to try them on ,she is pretty small so finding a store locally is prol. a good idea so she can try things on.

Thanks in advance for suggestions! :)

Pipeless416
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
try feeding her more.. i went to college and my butt grew.. more padding :) . haha in all seriousness, i sometimes wear under armour compression shorts that i had for soccer and it seemed to help a lot. also, it would be a chore, but possibly try shaving off some of the foam on the seat and replace it with a softer foam? just a thought.

klutch
03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Well... I wear basketball shorts under my riding pants... they seem to do ok lol. My dad wears bike shorts lol.

QuadJunkies
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
try feeding her more.. i went to college and my butt grew.. more padding :) . haha in all seriousness, i sometimes wear under armour compression shorts that i had for soccer and it seemed to help a lot. also, it would be a chore, but possibly try shaving off some of the foam on the seat and replace it with a softer foam? just a thought.
It doesnt matter what quad she rides, her butts still chafed after .:p
Shes gonna kill me for posting this .:o
LOL

She actually gained 15 lbs. just over winter! Thats ALOT for her!:eek:
But she will never have the Jay Lo booty,she has no butt.

quadmonkey
03-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I use padded biking shorts under my gear while riding/racing and it's helped a lot!

CannondaleRider
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
....Stand up more, problem solved. ;)

Or......

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/monkey_logo.jpg

HAHA.....I would assume some compression shorts or something would work. I would think jeans would REALLY freakin suck.

QuadJunkies
03-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by quadmonkey
I use padded biking shorts under my gear while riding/racing and it's helped a lot!

I didnt know they made padded ones!
Ill def. check into that!
Maybe she will have a J lo booty afterall!:D

WE have been on her FOREVER to get off that seat! In the beginning she was.. But I think she is once again, getting too tall for her quad and she tires easily.Shes always sat alot and I dont think Ill ever get her out of that nasty habit. Hearing it from us,we are NAGS as parents.She is trying to stand more,but shes got a long ways to go.
She doesnt have alot of muscle to begin with,but she is actually pretty strong for a bean pole . lol
That monkey butt stuff does NOT work. I tried it duning once and I think Baby Powder /Cornstarch worked better .:p
Smells good too!:D

03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
i wear bike shorts on every ride, it helps....the guys i know that race the 2 hour gncc style series also vaseline themselves up before the race...i haven't tried that yet though

woodsracer882
03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
My buddie wears slide shorts when he rides.They have a little bit of padding in the rear.Intended for baseball but work for riding too I guess.

QuadJunkies
03-14-2008, 12:27 PM
So can I get these kinds of shorts in just about any Sporting good store?
Vaseline??? Thats WILD! lol
I guess theres that diaper rash cream too-Desitin-I wonder if it would work:p

my88r
03-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
So can I get these kinds of shorts in just about any Sporting

you should be able to. i bought my shorts at walmart. lol but they weren't padded.

bwamos
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Most lycra cycling shorts these days have padding. They should be about perfect. You can get full length pants, and bibs as well.

Some of the good lycra riding shorts have gripper material on the inner thigh so you can grip when you need to grip. Wile the rest should slide freely inside the ATV riding pants reducing chafing. Will help wick moisture away as well which adds to the problem.

416exfreak
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Compression shorts were a miracle for me this last XC season at school.

Running a 15k with nothing but running shorts was a NIGHTMARE!

Compression shorts helped quite a few problems actually. I would say to get her a pair of those and let her see if that helps. Ive never thought to wear them when I was riding/racing. I might try that sunday when I go to the track...

If I dont go to th track sunday, then I'll let you know what it does when I get the chance to try it.:)

QuadJunkies
03-15-2008, 12:56 AM
I have no clue what compression shorts are, but I'll ask a sale person to help us when we get there. lol
Thanks for the help everyone!
Kelseys tush appreciates it!
LOL

D Bergstrom
03-15-2008, 01:31 AM
I wear Fox Launch Shorts under my riding pants:

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/AutoForward.do?forward=home.pagedef#aforward=asyn&proId=9929&cid=147&cname=Shorts&proNumber=26007&imgName=26007001F.jpg

I guess they are actually mountain biking shorts, but I found them at a motorcycle shop. I will still get a little sore, but not near as bad.

Doug

Velocity Girl
03-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I wear wicking underwear (patagonia bought at REI) and haven't had any problems.

Jason has "chaffing" issues and has switched to wearing padded biking shorts - it has worked wonders for him.

A bike shop, or REI, is probably the best place to get padded shorts. Unfortunately some of the them can be more pricey so I might suggest going for a cheaper pair first to see if she like 'em, then invest in some better padded ones. The women's Pearl Izumi have great padding (I wear alot of men's shorts as well though when I bike ride).

Jason also uses either diaper rash cream at the same time or "butt butter" (which you can also buy at the bike shops). It might feel weird at first, but you quickly get accostomed to it.

Anything with lots of seams/big seams and something that retain water (like cotton) is probably not a good idea :)

Good luck!

AtvMxRider
03-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Vaseline??? Thats WILD! lol

LMAO I am not going to say a word:devil:

<DRS>GPF
03-15-2008, 10:12 AM
i had a pair of riding pants that had a seam right across the bum..
didnt bother you at first, but after a while the seam always seemed to bother me..

you might also consider trying desert foam..

QuadJunkies
03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
LMAO I am not going to say a word:devil:
:p

Velocity Girl-thank youy so much for that info!
Butt Butter? I havent heard of that before.
SO I guess my thoughts of Desitin treatment might be proven to be effective afterall!:D

So the butters and creams are a common use in the GNCC eh?
I learned something new today! :)

03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
i was thinking the same thing you guys are about the vaseline when i was told...i haven't tried it...it just seems wrong

nickmelll
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/191/PU/2940-0026

i tryed their old version of these and they worked good

bearair
03-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I still wear Fox racing comp shorts. They've got about a 3" wide pad that runs from your waist down several inches in the back, and have large side pads. They are lycra style shorts and were used under riding pants when I got them. The pads are all removable for washing. I haven't been able to find an equivelant item recently.

QuadJunkies
03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
We got a pair today. They are mens bike shorts vs Womens.
Cheaper and more padded for the guys,she liked that better :p
I guess we will give them a try next week!

ATV Chic
03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I wear women's Champion brand cloth w/ spandex mix biker shorts that i picked up at kohls for 10 bucs. Very comfortable! can't beat em'! ;)

QuadJunkies
03-15-2008, 08:07 PM
These we got was on sale for 25.00 .
Only thing she said it feels like shes wearing a diaper. LOL :p

The small was just about too big for her ,but will work I think.

quad2xtreme
03-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Dick's Sporting Goods sells a "slide" cream too. I knew I should have written the name down. I hung out there for 90 minutes last night while my wife shopped for some clothes. It was 10 hours ago and I can't remember the name of it now. Getting old sucks. :ermm:

Velocity Girl
03-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Velocity Girl-thank youy so much for that info!
Butt Butter? I havent heard of that before.
SO I guess my thoughts of Desitin treatment might be proven to be effective afterall!:D

So the butters and creams are a common use in the GNCC eh?
I learned something new today! :)

No problem :) At least a few things from my mtn biking days are still useful ;)

I don't think I've ever seen Butt Butter in an MX shop, but if you go ask for it in a bike shop I swear they won't think you're crazy :)

As for the diaper feel....yea....it does feel like it....but you do get used to it fairly quick :)

BlaineKaiser450
03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
i wear basketball shorts or just regular shorts, because i have the same problem

RATPACK Z400
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
This may sound crazy but for the guys if you shave the do dads down to anus but dont shave pass anus and dont shave your top patch! then baby power before ride its like having a silk sack and 20 degrees cooler no joke ! if I were the girl I would try freestyle pants.theres no way I could deal with the heat the extra shorts would generate during riding but if you dont shave monkeybutt the only cure besides standing.

bwamos
03-17-2008, 06:55 AM
TMI !!!

QuadJunkies
03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
ROFLMFAO!

Shaving might create some itching ..which could be another evil. :uhoh:

KXRida
03-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Yah I wear like mesh basketball shorts under my gear. It helps to keep the chaffing demons away, but the swamp @ss factor increases by like 20%.

and yes... baby powder makes you feel like a new man, or in this care woman too.

416exfreak
03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
ROFLMFAO!

Shaving might create some itching ..which could be another evil. :uhoh:

Its not as bad as you would think, if your already used to it. ;)

The compression shorts did a miracle for me sunday, I wasnt chaffed at all! Im so glad this topic got brought up. Never again will I fear a hot shower after riding!:devil:

WatersRacing
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
You can get shorts specific for mx or atv racing. After Havasu get on Rocky Mountain ATV and check out the ARC riding shorts. Youll be able to get them cheaper because of the WORCS discount.

I've always worn some type of riding short under neath, but because of my ARC contract last year I used the ARC ones. Not only do they have a little padding in the butt to help with chafing and all that, but they also have hip pads in them. There is also a pad in the front.. which I guess would be more useful for a guy, but anyways...

Minor upside to the riding shorts also: its still looks enough like shorts that you dont have to worry about changing if you dont have an enclosed trailer or motorhome.

I cant imagine how horrible wearing jeans under would be.

KXRida
03-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Never again will I fear a hot shower after riding!:devil:

hahahaha yah hot showers were the worst after all that chaffing, now I can get hot showers!

Flyin-Low
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Here's what I bought for this problem.. http://www.thormx.com/product.jsp?path=1011,1015,1042,5015

I've used them a few times now and they work awesome! 100x better than just wearing boxers under the pants. I found that baggy over the boot pants seem to air out better too, which helps haha.