PDA

View Full Version : I cant get my 86 250R in Neutral while its running. Help!

395Rider
03-13-2008, 11:23 PM
I can’t get my 86 250R in neutral while it’s running. I have adjusted the cable at the lever all the way out, and I adjusted the cable at the clutch all the way out also.

I am wondering if it is a pressure plate problem, or are the oem clutch cables too long? I can’t figure it out!

bwamos
03-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Sounds like your clutch cable is stretched to me. Might be time for a new cable. ;)

the Z Man
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
You will see that it is your clutch basket, ridges form after use, if they are not too bad you can file them, if they are deep you will need to replace it.

bwamos
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Good call.

395Rider
03-14-2008, 11:40 AM
I have filed the basket down once. I didn’t realize that the basket would play a factor. I thought the wear on the inner circle of the pressure plate may cause this problem. By it being worn down, it would not extend the distance necessary to disengage the clutch. Would this also be a factor?

395Rider
03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 395Rider
I have filed the basket down once. I didn’t realize that the basket would play a factor. I thought the wear on the inner circle of the pressure plate may cause this problem. By it being worn down, it would not extend the distance necessary to disengage the clutch. Would this also be a factor?

wait wait wwwwaaaaaiiiiiiiitttt wait a minute! I recall being able to put it in neutral while running only after rocking it back and forth , so I now see how the basket could be the problem, but I would also like know what you guys think about my pressure plate theory.

bwamos
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
It makes sense to me. If the point where the pressure plate is being pushed on to disengage the clutch were worn down it would certianly provide less disengagement.

the Z Man
03-14-2008, 04:18 PM
The ridges on the fingers of the clutch basket hold the discs from properly seperating, thus not disengaging all the way. That is why it is most noticable sitting still, you can easily go without hte clutch while moving.

John451
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah, i hada similar problem with my rm125, think i still do. Here are some things i've thought of for mine, not big enough of a problem to me to feel like i needa look into it. Old oil, too thick of an oil, warped clutch plate, unbalanced pressure plate, warped pressure plate, sticky spring, broken tooth in clutch, worn grooves in basket. Basically thats it. Mine's not the worn basket thouhg. I hava warped steel plate. I have constant clutch tug. It tries to go wen the clutch's all the way in. And when it's out it's tightened to right before it slips.