PDA

View Full Version : First Mods

07trx400ex
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I just bought my first modifications to my new 400ex.
I bought them all from Leeson's Motorsports; Derrick is a good person to deal with and they have very fast shipping. I give Leeson's an A+ and would recommend them to anyone one.

I will be out of school and have taken a week off of work next week to relax so I will have plenty of time to ride and install.

Here is what I will be doing:

Installing a
Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Full System
Pro Design Pro Flow Air Filter Kit with Uni Filter
K&N Powerlid
Pro Armor Chassis and Swinger Skids

I am ME (mechanical engineering) major and someday want to start my own "tuning" shop. I am bright with concepts but have never done any of my own automotive work (not even an oil change) so I am very excited about this "project" as a way to get a "start" on the "labor" side. I have a significant amount of experience in driving with autocross and have been to a few week long professional driving schools like Bondurant and Barber.

Also, I will rejet. I am in a debate whether to start out with 158 or 160 main and whether to start out with a 40 or 42 pilot.

ANY advice or comments are welcome, and wanted to take this chance to thank everyone that has helped me and so many others like: 08400EX, REPOMAN, Hornetgod13, ZRPILOT and others.

fastredrider44
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I had a 426EX that I ran an open airbox, UNI filter, Pro-circuit T-4 Slip-on and a 160 main was too rich. At the end, i ran a 155 main and a 38 (stock) pilot.

As a mechanical engineer, it would be a good idea to get a good hand on doing your own wrench turning.

My best advice to someone who doesn't do much wrench turning is not to try to overtighten every bolt they touch. When you go to change the oil in your ex, the two bolts that cover your oil filter are very prone to snapping off in the case.

Have fun and good luck with it.

UNBROKEN
03-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44

My best advice to someone who doesn't do much wrench turning is not to try to overtighten every bolt they touch. When you go to change the oil in your ex, the two bolts that cover your oil filter are very prone to snapping off in the case.

Have fun and good luck with it.

i learnd that the hardway lol on my ex, none of my other bikes were like that it was the long bolt on the oilfilter cover that broke

hornetgod13
03-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you're well on your way to an excellent set up. I would recommend going with 160K/42K jetting with the air box lid off and 155K/40K with the lid on. That should get you close. Do a plug check to be certain.

Post pictures when you get a chance. :macho