View Full Version : $2000 - just take it

beobe99
03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
$2000 FIRM

Phila. PA.

I still cant get my fresh build started. Most of you prob. know the story. I had it started and next day it wouldnt start at all. today was the first time I went out there in like 2 months cause I got a different Carb. to try and still nothing..

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3180439#post3180439

deathman53
03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I had a mostly new build not starting, pulled it, kicked, checked spark and everything, swapped cdi's and coils from my atc, nothing. I pulled the flywheel off and the woodruff key was out of place. Put everything back and it started 2nd kick.

beobe99
03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I had a mostly new build not starting, pulled it, kicked, checked spark and everything, swapped cdi's and coils from my atc, nothing. I pulled the flywheel off and the woodruff key was out of place. Put everything back and it started 2nd kick.

How was it out of place? from what I understand it can only go in one way no?

Let me know.. and thanks

(When I couldnt get it started the first time I was told to check the woodruff key.. I did and it was broke.. I put a new one in and it started... but didnt the next day :/ ... I checked it again and it looked fine.)

86 Quad R
03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
have ya thoroughly checked the electrical system from one end to the other, all connections, ohming all the components to see if they in spec ect ect? you have a ghost in the system somewhere..........

matt250r21
03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
If you had your frame or motor painted, you way not be getting a solid ground. Make sure you have bare metal contact between the frame and motor. Just a thought.

The flywheel woodruff key can only go one way on the crank and flywheel. Either it is sheared again or it got pushed out when you put the flywheel back on. Is there any slop in the flywheel's keyway or the crank's keyway? I had a motor that would shear woodruff keys because the flywheel keyway was worn out.

Honda5
03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
sent you a email.

beobe99
03-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. As for what Ive checked / replaced. Ive replaced the CDI, Coil, cut and re-booted the coil, grinded all my grounds (again), checked wiring over and over again, Replaced carb, replaced woodruff-key (although today I'm going to triple check the key itself).

It's sparking (whether or not its good enough of a spark i dont know), compressions fine, Fuel is def. getting in there, I replaced the carb thinking that the choke may of been bad on the old one (the day it started it was like 55 degrees, the day it wouldnt it was like 25 degrees)

Im about to reply to all emails now..

(sh** the more i think about it the less i want to sell it hehe! but it is still up for sale)

Thanks,

C-LEIGH RACING
03-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Get you a hair dryer or hot air gun & let it blow on the cylinder for a good while to heat the engine up.
Could be that ol cheap pump gas wont burn.
Neil

wilkin250r
03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Pull your air filter off, and spray a short burst of starting fluid into the intake boot (by "short burst", I mean one second maximum). Give it a kick.

The starting fluid should fire really easily. If it fires up and runs for a few seconds, you have a fuel issue. It means it's running off the starting fluid, but once that runs out, it isn't getting fuel of it's own (or just not getting the proper amount).

If it doesn't run at all, you have a spark/compression issue. The starting fluid should fire really easily. If it doesn't fire, it means you have something wrong inside the cylinder itself beyond a fuel issue.

Some people will tell you to stay away from ether (starting fluid), but it's fine for the rare occasion. It's not going to cause problems unless you're using it all the time.

03-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Pull your air filter off, and spray a short burst of starting fluid into the intake boot (by "short burst", I mean one second maximum). Give it a kick.

The starting fluid should fire really easily. If it fires up and runs for a few seconds, you have a fuel issue. It means it's running off the starting fluid, but once that runs out, it isn't getting fuel of it's own (or just not getting the proper amount).

If it doesn't run at all, you have a spark/compression issue. The starting fluid should fire really easily. If it doesn't fire, it means you have something wrong inside the cylinder itself beyond a fuel issue.

Some people will tell you to stay away from ether (starting fluid), but it's fine for the rare occasion. It's not going to cause problems unless you're using it all the time.

ok yeah but timing pin/ fly wheel pin??? check it if it just a lil messed up it will not run u might look at it an it looks fin but it can still be bad just go to honda get a new one for $10 to $13

iv seen this happin like 1000 times on 250rs lol i really want some parts but if you want to sell it as a bike. i know alot about getting 250r motors running trust me i had the r motor from hell lol
EVERYTHING IN THE MOTOR WENT WITH IN 4 WEEKS LOL
is the intack boot on the carb from the motor good?
it can be as lil as that

RichM1983
03-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by beobe99
How was it out of place? from what I understand it can only go in one way no?

Let me know.. and thanks

(When I couldnt get it started the first time I was told to check the woodruff key.. I did and it was broke.. I put a new one in and it started... but didnt the next day :/ ... I checked it again and it looked fine.)

I had the same problem with the woodruff key. It was my fault. When I put the magneto on the bike I FORGOT to line the key up with the notch in the magneto. It went on and tightened down and everything but wouldnt start at all. I took it off and fixed it and it ran great. You might want to check and see if you didn't mess up like me.

I hate to see you let someone steel that thing from. If I could get to PA where you live I'd trade you my R and throw you some boot or just buy it from you but your around 500 miles from Charleston, WV.

norcalduner
03-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I do not know if this is a relevant input or not but just trying to help. Could you have installed the piston backwards?

beobe99
03-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advise and help guys..

Today it SOLD

:(

800screws
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
boy, i hope whoever bought it doesn't post a easy fix on why it wouldn't start!

beobe99
03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 800screws
boy, i hope whoever bought it doesn't post a easy fix on why it wouldn't start!

haha! I already asked him not to. But then again I would like to know. Either way the money will be spent wisely (never post something for sale when you mad at it... or should i say never put a price on something when your mad at it).. Honda5 (dave) will put it to very good use.. more then I would of so im glad.

Honda5
03-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I want to ride that thing so bad but I didn't get a chance to even look at it yet. thanks again for the great deal Bob I'm going to have a blast on this thing.

beobe99
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Honda5
I want to ride that thing so bad but I didn't get a chance to even look at it yet. thanks again for the great deal Bob I'm going to have a blast on this thing.

Cool, I really appreciate you knowing it was a good deal and like I said I hope it does start right up for you.