PDA

View Full Version : Make your 400ex backfire (safely!!!)

c4irney
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Alrite everyone, if you want to make ur 400ex backfire safely all u have to do is remove the air cut-off valve tube from the front (cylinder side) of the carb. The air cut-off valve is only there to prevent backfiring under deceleration by temporaraly making the mixture richer. Done it to mine today and it sounds wicked!!! The picture isnt of my carb, it was 1 off ebay

REDRIDDER
03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
can you make a video of this?

c4irney
03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I'll try get a video tomorrow, im just back in. I live in scotland so as usual i got soaked and freezing so dont really want to venture back out again today lol

03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
why would you want to do that?

and if the answer is that it sounds cool...man i can't even think of any way to describe how gayishly lame that is

c4irney
03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Well when u buy an exhaust u do it with 2 factors, 1 for better performance and 2 for a better sound. Different people like different sounds. I think it sounds amazing. And i put it on here so any1 else that likes the sound of backfiring can give it a go. So u can stick ur comment up ur arse!!! Why the **** r u even in the 400ex column, go back to ur 450 section where people might actually listen to what u say!!

Rip_Tear
03-13-2008, 12:58 PM
How can you add safely to that sentence at all? Back firing even on decel isn't good, it's still cutting gas flow to the cylinder, over heating it, blowing the back fire out the exhaust which can't be good for the packing, or the pipe for that matter...

REDRIDDER
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
How can you add safely to that sentence at all? Back firing even on decel isn't good, it's still cutting gas flow to the cylinder, over heating it, blowing the back fire out the exhaust which can't be good for the packing, or the pipe for that matter... lol...thats why i want to see a video of that.

03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
first of all, i can post wherever i want, whenever i want. and if I needed a 400ex to be able to post here...i would still be allowed to...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/IDMMX-goodvsevil.JPG

second, it may sound better, to your young arse, but like rip-tear stated, backfiring is not good...anytime

and last, sound is not a good reason to buy an exhaust, loud gets rinding areas closed for everyone. loud gives the atv opponents more ammunition to get our sport banned. i can't see it being that much different in Scotland, than it is here in the U.S.

08400EX
03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
How can you add safely to that sentence at all? Back firing even on decel isn't good, it's still cutting gas flow to the cylinder, over heating it, blowing the back fire out the exhaust which can't be good for the packing, or the pipe for that matter...

.. and backfiring is also what can cause forest fires.

REDRIDDER
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey speedyquad nice quads you got their, ive always liked a white ex.

UNBROKEN
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
backfiring does get anoyying when i had my YZ400F i would sometimes pull the hotstart when going downhill to here it pop and i would open it and shut it, if it poped all of the time idk that would bug me IMO and be hard to jet ure bike if u have future mods

quad9
03-13-2008, 01:49 PM
wont that trash the 1 way starter clutch? or will it just do that if it back fires on start up?

REDRIDDER
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
.. and backfiring is also what can cause forest fires. yeah but isnt it always raining in scottland lol?

UNBROKEN
03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by quad9
wont that trash the 1 way starter clutch? or will it just do that if it back fires on start up?

i dont think so but it may on the 660 raptor lol

rcatvrider
03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I'll pass on backfiring.;)

Hondamaster5505
03-13-2008, 03:19 PM
If you want backfiring buy a Curtis Sparks X6 Big Core and don't jet it, either way your destroying your engine:rolleyes:

My bike still backfires a lil because I never jetted it, but it actually isnt that bad. Probably because of the header design...

Brauap
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
My bike still backfires a lil because I never jetted it...

aa.. wha!? Why?

Brauap
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
.. and backfiring is also what can cause forest fires.

I am not disagreeing, or calling you a lier, but how?

Ruby Soho
03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
mine pops like once in a blew moon on decel

ill work that out in a few days when i slap on the 450 carb

rcatvrider
03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
No idea how they figure but that's why you need a spark arrestor on state forest land.

86 Quad R
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM

think about it for a second :cool:

REDRIDDER
03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I am not disagreeing, or calling you a lier, but how? how simple their a little mesh screen that catches sparks if the engine happens to put out any sparks the (spark arrestor) will catch them before leaving the exhaust pipe their for if the spark arrestor isn't in place sparks could fly out onto the ground and in a dry environment could cause a fire.well i tried to explain it best i could I'm sure someone will give you more insight on this better than i did.

Brauap
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
No, no, no.. I mean, how does backfiring cause forest fires?

fastredrider44
03-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Spark flies out of exhaust, lands on ground, catches leaves or grass on fire, and it spreads like, "wildfire." Yeah, I think backfiring is a cheap sound. I hate straight pipes on trucks and I think backfiring on fourwheelers is cheap sounding too. I happen to like my muffler and the way it sounds without any detonation sounds.

Just my two cents worth.

hornetgod13
03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I back fire when I eat mexican food. Is that bad? :huh

86 Quad R
03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Spark flies out of exhaust, lands on ground, catches leaves or grass on fire, and it spreads like, "wildfire."

yessir!!! en if ya purposely gimmick the quad to backfire then its likely that ur "backfiring" preasure is compounded tremendously and even "if" you have a "spark arrester" there is a remote chance that the added preasure can possibly blow out the wadding, stopping up the arrestor therefor, running risk of either blowing out the arrester or even worse over heating the engine, creating a meltdown.

simply put...... it aint worf it. :eek2:

07trx400ex
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Braup, you really need to think this one through.

Lets think about this logically.

BACK+FIRE+DRY LEAVES=FORREST FIRE
(SPARKS)

86 Quad R
03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

only in the event that you backfire while in a forrest fire or backed up to a camp fire lmao

fastredrider44
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
only in the event that you backfire while in a forrest fire or backed up to a camp fire lmao

I think I'll stop at this point.:eek2:

Hondamaster5505
03-13-2008, 04:32 PM
aa.. wha!? Why?

Because. When I installed the exhaust, it ran so damn good without jetting with the exception of a little popping on deceleration, that I didn't bother messing with it.
It's because of the dual-headers, they get rid of the "lean-condition" that other 2-1 header pipes have. It doesn't mean that you don't have to jet it, but it runs a lot better without jetting then your average aftermarket.

I do have intentions on jetting it, but the sidecover allen bolts are stripped. The threads the bolt goes into are fine, but the actual head you put the allen key into is stripped. This can easily be fixed, but I flat-out don't have much time between schoolwork and such.

When I get the banshee finished so I can ride it, I will start to fix all the little bullcrap problems on the 400ex, being I don't care if it's not ridiable from being tore down.

The things mine needs:

1) Valve seals- just barely smoking at very high rpm's. We know it isn't tired, the seals need to be done. We might do a cam and piston though.

2) Starter button assembly- Its all messed up and held together with tape. The previous owner destroyed it. The buttons are functional, but ugly.

3) Tail-light lens- cracked off, LED's exposed.

Thats pretty much it and shes back to mint. What do you expect for $1800, a mint 05?

fastredrider44
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
[B]

I do have intentions on jetting it, but the sidecover allen bolts are stripped. The threads the bolt goes into are fine, but the actual head you put the allen key into is stripped. This can easily be fixed, but I flat-out don't have much time between schoolwork and such.

1) Valve seals- just barely smoking at very high rpm's. We know it isn't tired, the seals need to be done. We might do a cam and piston though.

QUOTE]

Valve seals aren't going to be the biggest thing making it smoke at high rpms.

You don't have to pull the entire bowl off to install the main jet. You can get by with just taking off the drain plug.

tri5ron
03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Oh MAN!,
This whole backfiring thing sounds like a GREAT idea!
Maybe I should also install another coil, and put a sparkplug into my Big Gun exhaust, just like they did back in the '50's.

that way, I could have a FLAMETHROWER out the back of my bike!
Yeah, ...that sound like a great idea.

i'm SURE that wont P1$$ off any forest rangers,....

uh, yeah right,....
and will you guys come visit me when I'm in JAIL ?????????????

Pipeless416
03-13-2008, 07:42 PM

are you spark arrested? :)

my88r
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
its just like the louder the better. now we have to have your quad back fire.

THIS STUFF JUST RUINS OUR SPORT.:rolleyes:

hungus07trx400
03-14-2008, 05:26 AM
I found a cool, safe way to get my tires to make a "WHOOOOOOOOSH" sound. I stab them with a steak knife.

ohsobad_chevy
03-14-2008, 09:28 AM

LMAO!!! Sometimes I backfire so hard, my pants fit better.

I can't help but read a thread like this.

Exrider434
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

The things mine needs:

High rpms, doesnt sound like valve seals? Mine smoked at startup when it was the valve seals then went away as the engine got hotter. Is it blue or black smoke at high rpms? because i know before i rejetted mine it was runnin rich and at high rpms it blew black smoke..

Just tryin to help:p

08400EX
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Why not go a step farther and do it like this

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDrzMGdYWZc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDrzMGdYWZc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

..... it is an actual product developed in South Africa to thwart carjackers.

CarGuy7a
03-14-2008, 01:45 PM
^^^^^^ that's great man. no spark arestors on that puppy. lol

as far as taking that hose off to make it backfire i'll pass. that hose is there for a reason. if you take it off it's a great way to get dirt sucked into the engine and trash your rings.

sideways
03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by c4irney
Alrite everyone, if you want to make ur 400ex backfire safely all u have to do is remove the air cut-off valve tube from the front (cylinder side) of the carb. The air cut-off valve is only there to prevent backfiring under deceleration by temporaraly making the mixture richer. Done it to mine today and it sounds wicked!!! The picture isnt of my carb, it was 1 off ebay

backfiring is def. not good.
your an idiot

REDRIDDER
03-14-2008, 02:43 PM
backfiring is definitely on my to do list,i mean come on its a cheap free mod and your neighbors will love it lmao...j/k

RaginRedneck
03-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Why not go a step farther and do it like this

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDrzMGdYWZc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDrzMGdYWZc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

..... it is an actual product developed in South Africa to thwart carjackers.

That's awesome :-) I'm sure that no lawyer would bother you after that trick....but you sure would be going through a lot of plastic. That couldn't be good on that car's paint.

Hondamaster5505
03-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
High rpms, doesnt sound like valve seals? Mine smoked at startup when it was the valve seals then went away as the engine got hotter. Is it blue or black smoke at high rpms? because i know before i rejetted mine it was runnin rich and at high rpms it blew black smoke..

Just tryin to help:p

Well this was with the stock exhaust on.

I have to ask my dad what color. He was behind me when I was really screaming it.

But, I wont be on till later. Me, my dad, and my cousin are heading up to the Ashville/Frackville area today!:D First ride of the spring.

Brauap
03-15-2008, 06:22 PM
could back firing still cause forest fires w/ a s/a?

rodeo#11
03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
dont think so thats what their there for to prevent stuff like that from happening

2muchquad
03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Of all the things the new generation finds cool,nipple piercing and now intentional backfiring..now i have truly seen it all:eek2: