PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk pool...

Scro
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Within the next week or so I will be moving into a new house - 3 bedroom, 2 bath. The back master bedroom is HUGE, way to big for just my single bed. Since it's just me, I'm thinking about putting a pool table in the master bedroom and making a game room out of it.

Where is the best place to buy a reasonable table? What are some brands to look for? What size table is best? I've seen anywhere from 7 foot to 10 foot. I believe I have room for a 10, but if it's cheaper I'd go smaller. I know they can get expensive, but I'm really looking in the $600-$800 range.

bulkdriverlp
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
the pro billiards tour uses 4x8. "bar tables" are 3.5x7.5. you need about 12x16 room. if you dont have that, dont bother getting one, your sticks will be banging the walls. you wont get a good one for 800 bucks. the good ones start about 1,200 and go up to 5g. just make sure you get the 1" 3-piece slate. dont get the plywood top like the ones at walmart, they will warp in no time. i had one for 3 years in my house, then kids came into the picture.....its gone

bluebaron
03-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Look into a company that sells refurbished bar pool tables. Thats what we have. It is a very nice table. It was in the $1500 range

MOFO
03-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by bluebaron
Look into a company that sells refurbished bar pool tables. Thats what we have. It is a very nice table. It was in the $1500 range

This is what I'm doing as well.

The local vendor around here is TOP notch and these tables are built to last!

Flyin-Low
03-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Getting a good quality table is well worth the money.. playing on a cheap table sucks.

We've had our table for more than 16 years lol, and in that time the only thing we've had to do is put new pockets in, and refelt it twice. It's a three piece slate 4x8 and is as good as new!

tim colston
03-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I see them daily for literally nothing in craigslistdot com.

Scro
03-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by tim colston
I see them daily for literally nothing in craigslistdot com.

I'll take a look....thanks.

So say I bought a used one off somebody. What all is involved with moving one besides the weight. I heard that there is alot more to it than just putting it back together (leveling and something about the rails:confused: )

Is this something I could do by researching the net, or would I be better off paying a professional to move it?

Flyin-Low
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I'll take a look....thanks.

So say I bought a used one off somebody. What all is involved with moving one besides the weight. I heard that there is alot more to it than just putting it back together (leveling and something about the rails:confused: )

Is this something I could do by researching the net, or would I be better off paying a professional to move it?

If you do a little research on them you should be fine moving it yourself.. Just that the slate is VERY heavy. About the other things, the table must be completely level and the rails have to be put on and then made perfectly parallel and square. (otherwise it will be impossible to make bank shots)

honda400ex68b
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
4½' x 9' tables with a Play Area of 50" x 100" are the recognized size for professional tournament play.
here is the site

http://www.phespirit.info/games/pool/bca_equipment_specifications.htm

i have a 3.5 x 7 ft table. 1" slate real wood and lifetime warranty from legacy billiards. it was $795. and the highest one they had where i got mine was a brunswick 4½' x 9' for $10,000. that was about 7 years ago. get the best one you can afford. i would not recommend setting it up yourself if you get an expensive one, because the guy that set mine up said the floor was real level and it took him about 2.5 to 3 hours to do it.

RidinRed420
03-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I'd check out Namco, I don't know if you have any of those near you.

If you really like to play pool, I suggest investing into a nice one. When I was younger my mom bought a cheap one (like 300) for my dad and it sucked, no one ever used it and it was nothing like when you played somewhere else with a nice one.

I have one now, and it is slightly smaller than regulation size, but it is a very nice one. I am not sure how much my boyfriends parents spent on it, but they bought it about 15-17 years ago and it is still mint. The only thing we are considering doing is replacing the felt. When they got it though it did take a little while to move in (the slate is very heavy) and it took a long time to make sure it was completely level.

Very good investment though, if you like to shoot pool. Just make sure to take care of it.

We also have a cover for it and regulation sized ping pong table that goes over it. My boyfriend and his family really like ping pong, I can't play to save my life though.

However the ping pong table, with a table cloth on it makes a really nice table for large family gatherings. We have seated 20 people at the table for many family dinners.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if your room is large enough for the pool table, make sure there is enough room to play pool. The room our pool table is in is large, but there is a fireplace and we had to buy a "short stick" for some shots on that side of the table. A short que is always an option if you find you only need another inch or so, but it is a pain in the *** to have to get the short one when you bang your que on the wall.

bulkdriverlp
03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
my advice...DO NOT install it yourself. it will never play right. installers use solid bee's wax melted with a torch in between the slates. if you dont get that right your f-ed. they would have charged me like 150.00 bucks to move it, if all they had to do was put it back together. when you buy one buy it from a pool table dealer and have them install it. serious man....

KAWIRYDER
03-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I would recommend buying a 3.5x 7 ft table, because I have 4.5x9 ft table and while I play really well on it my friends struggle on it and they don't have as much fun. The smaller table would allow the games to go a lot faster. However if you are getting into the sport to really improve and be competitive than go for the 9 or an 8 footer. You can also get a bar table that has a one piece slate, they are heavy as hell but you won't have to putty the joints. Hope that helps. Shootim up .