View Full Version : gas tank help

mittman
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
well yesterday i went to move the cj out of the way so i could get my truck in there and it wouldnt start so i put about 5gallons of gas in it and nothing so last night i took the gas tank off and the hose was cracked coming out of the tank it must have been leaking for awhile because the paint was peeling on top of the tank(it was running before)i dumped the gas back into the gas can and it was all brown the tank on the outside is like brand new.

what is the best way to get rust out of a gas tank?

underpowered
03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
drain the tank, the drop a piece of chain down in the tank. shake it around. the chain moving around will knock the rust inside loose. then rinse it out with water, and let it dry a few days to make sure all the water is gone.

Bradracer18
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
You can also buy some stuff to coat the inside of the tank with, after you knock all the old rust loose. We do this on old antique tractors that we restore. Works great

underpowered
03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
You can also buy some stuff to coat the inside of the tank with, after you knock all the old rust loose. We do this on old antique tractors that we restore. Works great

good idea, stuff called Kreem or i like Red cote better.