PDA

View Full Version : i need experienced engine builders

trx400EXtreme
03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
lets say that i put in a high comp piston in my 400ex. are different valves or anything besides the piston, rings, and gaskets required. i really want more power but don't want to have to rebuild the whole motor. i just want to throw in a piston. i just need to know what ir required to keep the reliablility.

86 Quad R
03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
in all honesty i would suggest that you get the service manual and follow its proceedure. it will help guide you through the process. there are things that need to be checked when redoing a top end. :cool: there's a bit more to it than just "throwing" in a piston. :p

Ruby Soho
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
you can just put a piston in without needing anything else. you may want to though, such as a cam at the very least

wilkin250r
03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
If you're looking for more power right now, you'll still be looking for more after the piston.

A high-compression piston will certainly give you more power, but it isn't a ton. There really aren't any single modifications that give you huge power gains all by themselves, it's usually a cumulative effect from a combination of modifications.

Me, personally, I would never bother with the hassle of tearing into the top end without changing/upgrading several components. The piston and a camshaft at the very least, possibly a big bore (depending on my desired power delivery). If I could afford it, I'd also get some porting done. But I wouldn't bother for just a piston all by itself.

pro-rider46
03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
if you can. get a wiseco 440 kit, and have someone install it. they are only like 400 when you add it all up, and get it ported. that should set it up well.

TRXRacer1
03-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Spring for another $65 for a bore job and go to a 416. If you still feel like a little power is needed you can easily do a cam later.