PDA

View Full Version : Need quick opinion please.

rigger
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't know tons about Banshees other than they have been around since I was a little kid and they are fast as hell.

Looking at a 98' Banshee. From pictures, not seen it in person yet.
Needs tires, looks a little rough. FMF fatty pipes, has been rebuilt, 30 over Wiseco pistons, reeds and few other little motor mods.

Kid that owns does not know much, he thought it had a stage 2 hot cam in it. He says it only has about 20 hours on the rebuild and he does know to mix the gas at 32:1.

He was asking 2100. Said I could get it for 1800 over the phone. Knowing myself, I might can get him down a little more.

What do you think about it for the money? Any problem areas I really need to look for?

Thanks guys.

400exrider989
03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
stay away, look for a better bike, you can get nicely built shees that are clean and the owner knows how to maintain it for about 2100 dont even think about it

rigger
03-13-2008, 04:54 AM
next lowest price I have seen on a Banshee has been 3200. Now that was for a nice machine though. I plan on this being a project to bring back to life. I have another very nice 400ex that I ride right now and I am going to let my wife ride that when we go and I will ride the old Banshee. If I can get it a little cheaper then I will probably bring it home as a running project for the summer. This is NOT my only ride or I would not be looking at it. It IS in a set budget that I have for the moment so I kind of have to deal with everything else. It will make a good project for me. And I like projects.

I was really wondering if there were any certain weak points that I need to look for other than the normal stuff.

Thanks guys. I will let you know what happens.

Washburn
03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
I think thats a good deal espically if its running. Take it for a ride, go slow through the gears to blow out the carbs then get on it like you will be riding it when you take it home. Things to check would be the compression. Go to AutoZone and buy a Compression checker they are around 20 dollars(Good tool to have for all of your machines). Pull both plugs put the 14mil adapter on the end of the guage thread it in one side at a time hold the throttle wide open and kick untill the guage stops reading. Compression on a stock motor should be at least 110 on each side and both sides should be within 5 PSI of each other. Also look at the plugs see if its been running lean. Take a look at the trans fluid see if its black or not. Grab onto the front wheel each side and pull them back and forth and see if there is any play it may need new bushings. Do the same to the rear pick it up see if theres any axle play. Look for stress marks while you have it on the grabbar. Look at the motor mounting tabs the steering stem tabs, look at the frame by the foot ppegs and anywhere else that you think would be a stress point on the frame. Also make sure the rear plastics align with the subframe make sure its straight. If the guy has any problem with you preforming any of these tests then theres something wrong. Im never typing this again so keep it in mind when buying any quad espically a 2 stroke.

Hondamaster5505
03-13-2008, 03:24 PM
660rtoa400ex is selling a really clean fresh 2004 Special Edition banshee for $2850. I think it include FMF pipes too..

rigger
03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Well I did not bring this one home. Way to ragged out for the money. I got it down to 1500 but that was before I really looked it over. Motor was just under 100 for compression, and if you named it or thought about it, it needed it. After I saw what all it needed, maybe a 1000 would have been a decent price. I don't mind doing the work at all. It just needed way to much in parts to be worth what he wanted for it.

Thanks for the tips anway.

Hondamaster5505
03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by rigger
Well I did not bring this one home. Way to ragged out for the money. I got it down to 1500 but that was before I really looked it over. Motor was just under 100 for compression, and if you named it or thought about it, it needed it. After I saw what all it needed, maybe a 1000 would have been a decent price. I don't mind doing the work at all. It just needed way to much in parts to be worth what he wanted for it.

Thanks for the tips anway.

Yeah, the wear limit on banshee's is 100psi. So she already needs a rebuild.

I found my 88 for $500. Yeah, it needs work, but for $500 I wasn't gonna argue. It was a steal. It sat for 10 years so it didn't look aged at all, just needed a harness and we want to rebuild it even if we don't have to. This way we know it was done right. Keep searching and you'll find one.

Hondamaster5505
03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I found a couple close to you, all in the 1000-2200 range:

2002 Banshee-
http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/591938588.html

404 Banshee- In NC
http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/591938588.html

Alba Banshee- In NC (very nice)
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/582083949.html

Check these ones out. I think the Alba Racing one is the best bet, looks really nice. Or the 404 stroker.

rigger
03-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks, I will check them out.

chads300
03-14-2008, 12:58 AM
yeah good thing you didnt sounds like he dont know what the hell he is talking bout(stage 2 hot cam) must be the rare 4- stroke shee:D

Hondamaster5505
03-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by chads300
yeah good thing you didnt sounds like he dont know what the hell he is talking bout(stage 2 hot cam) must be the rare 4- stroke shee:D

Hey, the idiot I bought my 400ex from had Boysen Reed stickers on it:huh

lmao.

rigger
03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
He ended up being a nice kid. He just did not know any better and I think he realized that he got ripped off from the guy that he bought it from. I kind of feel bad for him.

Live and learn I guess.

Hondamaster5505
03-15-2008, 01:10 AM
He ended up being a nice kid. He just did not know any better and I think he realized that he got ripped off from the guy that he bought it from. I kind of feel bad for him.

Live and learn I guess.

If he thought he had a hotcam, then you could of always tried someting. He obviously doesnt know engine.

"Hey, the defiblitators in the carbs are broke, and cost about $800 to fix. Then the valve seals need to be done. Ill give you $500."

lmao. That would be kinda mean though.

rigger
03-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Yea, I could have. And I thought about it too. But.....I couldn't do it to him. He got took when he bought it, I couldn't rip him off when he sold it too. Or maybe it would not have been ripping him off. Maybe more like a "life's hard, deal with kind of lesson".

Besides, he had another guy that wanted it. Ended up comming back and giving him 1800 for it. I told him to take it and be glad for the 1800. He did.

Well the search will continue for the second machine to put in the garage. Trying to find the right atv for the right price is starting to get old. Anything in the 2000 and under range is already sold. I might have to try and up my budget a bit and just get something that allready rides. Just don't want a payment. Everybody seems to want to much for a restorable junk machine. Like that non running heap on the floor is worth more than the NADA books say. They just don't want to admit that it is not worth that number unless it runs and is in rideable condition.

rigger
03-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe found another Banshee, in my price range too :D .

This one is a 00, Original owner. It has been the wife's ride for years and according to the owner she has always babied it. It has full DG pipes, filter, jettted, I think he said Dougles rims, handle bars are new. It has a new clutch in it. Still running stock pistons with good compression. From his discription, sounds like it will need tires soon.

He had it listed at 3200. Then he told me 2900 obo. Then I just flat out asked him what he wanted to get out of it. He told me I could have it for 2200. He had to many atv's in the garage and something had to go. So the Banshee was the one to go.

I will go check this one out maybe today. I will keep you posted.

Hondamaster5505
03-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe found another Banshee, in my price range too :D .

This one is a 00, Original owner. It has been the wife's ride for years and according to the owner she has always babied it. It has full DG pipes, filter, jettted, I think he said Dougles rims, handle bars are new. It has a new clutch in it. Still running stock pistons with good compression. From his discription, sounds like it will need tires soon.

He had it listed at 3200. Then he told me 2900 obo. Then I just flat out asked him what he wanted to get out of it. He told me I could have it for 2200. He had to many atv's in the garage and something had to go. So the Banshee was the one to go.

I will go check this one out maybe today. I will keep you posted.

Im tellin ya right now, the DG pipes SUCK!! Trust me, I know a lot of people that run them and they hate it.
Be prepared to buy a different exhaust.
Also, never take someones word on compression. Take a tester with you. If its 110 or below, then you'll end up rebuilding it after 2 or 3 rides. The wear limit is 100.
If its 118 or higher than its still pretty good and you should get a decent amount out of it still.

rigger
03-16-2008, 05:11 AM
What's wrong with the DG pipes ? I have always ridden bikes with with FMF so I really do not know what the DG's will run like.

Hondamaster5505
03-16-2008, 07:20 AM
What's wrong with the DG pipes ? I have always ridden bikes with with FMF so I really do not know what the DG's will run like.

Well, it almost seems that DG just makes curves and doesnt bother to test them. They just hope it works.

Whereas FMF takes time to tune their pipes, to get that sonic wave just right. We run FMF Fatty's on my dads banshee, and love em.

They're just cruddy quality and preform/sound like crap.

redfox350
03-16-2008, 07:43 AM
if you dont mind a stock banshee i got a 2000 in good condition.....

rigger
03-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Well I brought this one home. It really is not bad at all. Better than I thought it would be. Motor was holding 120 for compression. Rear axle bearings, clutch, chain and sprokets had just been replaced. Original owners and the motor has never been gone into. They only rode maybe once a month and only when the weather was nice.

So far the only things that I have found it needs is upper a-arm bushings, two tie rod ends. Tires are in good shape, it has Pure sports on it now. Rear tires are great. It has 400ex stock front tires but my neighbor has a brand new full set of Pure Sports he will sell me for next to nothing. Not my top choice in tire but if the price is right. A couple of fender supports are a little tweaked but nothing that can't be re-tweaked.

Over all it is the best thing I have found for the budget I had to work with. And that was not just looking for a Banshee. With some TLC, I can make her really shine again. I will have to post a picture later if I can figure out how.