PDA

View Full Version : Cams

06YFZ450SE
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I have the Cam Mod done to my YFZ450 and I want to do webs or hot cams.Iam woundering how much of differance will I see with aftermarket cams over the Cam Mod. Would it be worth my money or a waste of money on a stock internal motor. But in the ferture I would like to go with a 13.1-13.5 CP or Wicket piston.But I like to get more HP without spending alot of money right now.

Would making my DR.D slip on a full system make any differances.How would I go by making it a full system.My Mods are in my Sig. Thanks Jimmy#83.

Ride1Rob
03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Portwork! That's the best bang for your buck as it'll increase HP all throughout the powerband. The Webcams are more aggressive than the Hotcams and from what I've read what other YFZ owners say they make more HP. The highcomp piston isn't a bad add on either and the CP is the most reliable piston you can get. As far as pipes, a full system is always better than a slip. But like I said, best bang for the buck is portwork.

06YFZ450SE
03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Portwork! That's the best bang for your buck as it'll increase HP all throughout the powerband. The Webcams are more aggressive than the Hotcams and from what I've read what other YFZ owners say they make more HP. The highcomp piston isn't a bad add on either and the CP is the most reliable piston you can get. As far as pipes, a full system is always better than a slip. But like I said, best bang for the buck is portwork.

Ok thanks for the help.So Web Cams and value springs and CP piston is next on the list..How much usley is Port work cost. I have a slip on how much usley is a head pipe to make mine full If I can.I still want to keep my quad kinda reliable as I can.

When I do Webs Cams and value springs,CP Pistons how much of a diff will I tell in my YFZ. If I can make my exhaust a full.

xtylerx
03-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Portwork price vary quite a bit depending on who you go with.

I am thinking about getting mine ported and was going to have Vemon do mine, good work at a good price.

WebCam +5 grind cams seem the way to go, like said above.

CP Piston like said above, the way to go.

Other pipes have proven to be better than your Dr. D, and I don't even think you can make a full system out of it. I would think about a full system Sparks, NMotion, or the Dasa pipe that is going to come out.

Another good option would to have a good intake, FCI is top notch, then for cheap you can get your carb bored to something like 42mm.

...with all the above stuff done, I couldnt tell you the difference, but I know that would be a monster for a stockbore build.

Ride1Rob
Honestly, I just got rid of my 13.5 piston and went back to stock and the loss of power is not very much. The bike actually hooks up better now and accelerates faster. The main reason that I went back to stock piston was because of durability issues. It's more wear and tear on your bottom end and the piston needs changed more often because of the highcompression. I'm not sure how much a Dubach header runs but I'd say from $150-$200 sounds about right. Hopefully it'll be cheaper. I good port job can be done for about $400. Dasa (who builds Joe Byrds bike) are some of the best out there and I think they're alil higher. There are alot of others that do awsome work (Trinity, Alba, Sparks, Nmotion, Rage, etc... You'll just have to search to find one.

Ride1Rob
Double post...

06YFZ450SE
03-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. When I get Cams Iam going with web cams and when I get a piston Iam going with CP.But I have an 06 so the compression will be lower then what it says right.What if I went with a 13.1 it would be like a 12.5 right and a 13.5 is like a 13.1 right.So I can make my system a full I just gotta look for a DR.D header pipe.Where would you search for one at.No other header pipe will work. Would making my system a full make a diff.What kind of FCI would you go with.

Ride1Rob
03-14-2008, 07:18 AM
If you get a 13.1 comp piston that is exactly what you'll have. Great choice on the CP piston and Webcams. As far as the headpipe and the performance, you need to contact them on that. They do sell headers and the are $250. http://www.dubachracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=41&zenid=qkp1m1c05eh84kci14cfscocm3 Ask them how much HP would it give you to run the header as opposed to the stock header and their pipe. If it's only 1- 1/2 hp... not worth it for me. If it's 2-3hp... worth it for me. You ask what kind of FCI would someone go with. FCI is a Fuel Customs Intake. That is a nice intake and I hear they are the best in terms of hp gains but aren't cheap.

TheNewn
03-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 06YFZ450SE
Thanks for all the help guys. When I get Cams Iam going with web cams and when I get a piston Iam going with CP.But I have an 06 so the compression will be lower then what it says right.What if I went with a 13.1 it would be like a 12.5 right and a 13.5 is like a 13.1 right.So I can make my system a full I just gotta look for a DR.D header pipe.Where would you search for one at.No other header pipe will work. Would making my system a full make a diff.What kind of FCI would you go with.

You may be thinking of the 04/05's being 439cc's and having less stroke than the 06+'s. Or something like that, but im pretty sure the comp will be exactly what it says.

If i were you, from what i've read, I would get port/full exhaust/cams. and leave the motor otherwise stock. maybe not in that order, but going much further than that and you'll be risking too much reliability in my opinion.

Also do you have the oil update/mod or what not done to your 06? before you go balls out on the motor you might want to get it looked at.

Also keep in mind, if you have the Dr. D slip on doesn't mean you HAVE to have their header, you could get a different one most likely. 250 bucks for the header seems kinda pricey.

About porting, talk to or PM Chad502ex (i think his name is on here) from DRG racing (again, i think is the name), he seems to know a lot about porting. but i think he specializes in 450Rs. I'm sure he could do it all though.

06YFZ450SE
03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
n the 06 up if you get a 13.1 is like a 12.5 and If I get a 13.5 its going to be 13.1.Thats what I have been told. No I dont have the oil mod done to my quad but I was going to do it to my quad when I was going to do all theses mods. With +5 Webs,13.1-13.5 CP piston Making my Dr.D a full system,FCI how much HP should I be at with teses mods. I already did a sprocket change on the front to make it have more topend. I found a Dr.D header for 179.99.

My goal for HP is low-mid 50s. If I do the Port work does that boots up my HP too.

fastall
03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
whats the h/p differance between the web or hot cams

Ride1Rob
03-16-2008, 07:39 AM
The webcams are more aggressive toward the bottom and mid while the hotcams are more of mid and topend. I don't know much about the cams but that's what I've read from site to site.

06YFZ450SE
You have it wrong on the compression. Like stated before, on the 04/05 bikes that have a shorter stroke the compression would be less. You have a longer stroke with an 06 crank and that will keep your compression at what the piston says. There is no difference in cylinder volume between the bikes no matter what year.

06YFZ450SE
03-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Ok thanks I thought it was the 06 and up that the comp was lower than what it said.