PDA

View Full Version : building a YFZ450/400ex hybrid need some help

bansheemorphine
03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I bought an 05 yfz450 quad engine i am puttting into my 400ex and i have a couple questions.

Does it matter what angle the motor sits at, like does it have to be perfectly level or can it tilt forward or back any?

Also i can't seem to find a place to put the yfz oil tank near the motor but i found a spot up at the front of the quad but to put it there i'll have to lengthen the oil lines, will this affect the lubrication of the engine or should it be ok?

ss440ex
03-12-2008, 07:27 PM
That engine will need a radiator...and that oil tank mounted there
looks like a BIG air dam!

I had an oil cooler mounted up in that area and it was fine.
The oil went to the cooler and then to the oil tank,which was mounted down low in front of the engine.

Engine angle...I used a protractor and got the angle of the engine
when mounted in the dirt bike w/rider wieght on the seat.

I then used that to mount the engine in the atv frame.
That is where I got the correct lenght and angle of the engine mounting horns.

Hope this will help.
Do a search in this section for some ideas.....

ss440ex
03-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Also,another heads up...
While your this far along, tighten the swing arm bolt and make sure the chain aliegnment is o.k.
Sprocket to sprocket.

bansheemorphine
03-13-2008, 08:05 AM
i've already got the rear swingarm bolt tightened and the sprockets are ligned up. I do have the rad i just didn't have it in in that pic.

bansheemorphine
03-14-2008, 01:51 PM
so the lubrication system should still work fine if i lengthen all the oil lines about 6 inches, i just don't want the motor to be starved for oil.

250x_kyle
03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
i would deff. remount that oil tank. your realy restricting the air flow to the radiator on that one. if you leave it that way ur gunna end up having your radiator boiling over more than you will be riding.

bansheemorphine
03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
it works fine, i hooked the lines up and it gets plenty of oil, and doesn't overheat the rad gets enough air

ss440ex
03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Picture time.....