PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying one - Questions

250Renvy
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm looking at some different options for some family trail machines and am having a hard time deciding what to get; I have some questions about these machines.

1. How bulletproof are they in stock /slightly modded form? Besides regular oil changes how well do they hold up? Any years to stay away from?

2. Are all three machines Z400, KFX400, DVX400 all the same? I know Z400 and KFX400 are but is the DVX? Can the DVX plastic be put on a Z400?

3. Compared to a 400ex do these machines feel tall like the 400ex.
When I get off my 250R and onto a 400ex it feels really tall and tippy, will I encounter this on a Z400?

Thanks for the help. Although I find it great there are so many more choices, it makes it harder to actually choose which machine to buy.

yellowzo3
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
The Z, KFX, and DVX are all the same. The only difference between the Z/KFX and the DVX are the plastics. You can put DVX plastics on a Z/KFX and vice versa. If your going to ride trails then the Z/KFX plastic would be the best choice since they're bigger and cover the wheels much better. They are fairly bulletproof in stock or slightly modded form. If you take care of it you shouldn't have any problems... but theres always the freak accidents where things break so its no different then any other quad. The early years (2003) had frame breaking problems (mainly on the upper shock mounts), but thats solved with a gusset kit. Theres also the coolant problem on I think it was the 2005 or 2006 models... someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Just ask the seller if they've had the recall taken care of for that. And lastly, I'd have to say Yes Z400's do feel tippy compared to a 250r and many other bikes... I did a few things to get mine to sit lower and its better, but still sits high compared to other bikes. If your riding trails it shouldn't be too bad, but if you plan to ride mx then you'll definitely notice it more. Hope that helps!

zracer16
03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
What person above said regarding the plastics is true. Some people have said that the Z feels tippy, but IMO this is not true. I have ridden on some of the gnarliest terrain(climbing rock ledges and going up huge steep hills) you can imagine and it never once felt like I was going to tip over. I would get an 05 or newer because they have much better front shocks. The clutch cover was what the recall was for and it effected the 05 and 06 models, just make sure that the magnesium cover was replaced with an aluminum one. I own 2 Zs now and they are very reliable, just perform the maintenance and you should be fine. The Z is one of the best machines for trail riding IMO.

jthomasz400
03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
yea the two guys above me said it pretty good, the 03's had bad frame problems, and in general the 03-05 suspension wasn't great at all either.. i have an 07 which has the gas shocks and believe me, it's night and day difference compared to the older ones. i have had it close to a year now and have had no problems of any kind and me n my buddies ride pretty hard ..and i can keep up with any stock or slighty modded (pipe K&N..) 450 any day..u will be happy with any of them just if at all possible get an 05 or newer.

justin.

TheNewn
03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
All 3 above said it pretty much right on the dot. Getting off a 250R that's as modded as yours seems to be, most sock bikes are going to feel tall/tippy in comparison.

I think the Z400 is a *great* quad, and in my opinion, better than the 400EX. Honda made it first (and made it well) but Suzuki made it better.

The 03/04's had the suspension similar to the 400EX's do. In 05 they updated it and added *much* better suspension so that's what I'd be looking for. Also like others have said, the magnesium clutch(?) cover was corroding and causing the coolant leak problems. Dumb move on Suzuki's part but its an easy fix by switching back to the aluminum one.

I think if you get a Z, get an 05+ and you wont be disappointed.

rcatvrider
03-15-2008, 07:59 AM
I've ridden an 03 and an 05, and the 05 is much better. They're pretty nice, they have never had engine problems and the two both have stock engines, one just has an exhaust. They're very powerful stock for a 400. Anyone use to riding a modded/racing quad claims that stock sports are tippy, but the only time I have felt the 05 to be tippy is coming hard out of rough corners, besides that, they feel very stable to me.

250Renvy
03-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I think I might try to find a used one cheap enough before going to a new one and put some seat time on before deciding.

I shouldn't have put tippy, I meant tall. I've had a couple 400ex's and they both have felt really tall, like you sit much higher and above the bars.

They also felt like they lost power very quickly - this could be due to air cooling.

I wouldn't even consider the Z and would probably just go with a 400ex again but I'd really like to get a rekluse clutch so people who don't know how to use the clutch can still ride.

My first choice would surprisingly be a warrior because they ARE BULLETPROOF and they are 6 speed. But there is no Rekulse option.

rcatvrider
03-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I plan on getting a 400ex soon. I haven't ridden one yet, I know people who have ridden kfx's and 400ex's and say the kfx's feel taller. I don't know it they are talking stock vs stock though. I just love the reliability and simplicity of the honda. It may not be the best performing, but it's easy to work on, and has less to worry about.

DVXDUDE
03-15-2008, 09:39 AM
the plastics,seat and head light is the only difference between the DVX and the z400/kfx. The ltz400 plastics will still fit on the dvx. All other parts are interchangable.

these bikes are very compairable to the 400ex, just better. Better upgrades like liquid cooled, better shocks and just as bulletproof.

the z/kfx/dvx are very good trail machines. I ride Very tight and rough trails (made for 4x4 quads) and I never have to feather the clutch. In first gear it will idle along at walking speed, you can hit the front brake a bit and make it go slower without stauling it. A 13t front sprocket will make it go even slower. I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago. I bought the DVX over the 400ex. The 400ex is still a very good machine ( i will probably buy a used one for the g\f because they run forever and will keep up to my dvx.....somewhat...heheh