PDA

View Full Version : Souther Missouri Off Road Ranch not friendly

ex7803
03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Ok I know that what I am about to say may not go over very well but I have to say it. I have recently been looking for new places to ride. Chadwick and St. Joe are fun but getting old. I stumbled across the web site for a place called Southwestern Missouri Off Road Ranch (www.SMORR.net). This place is dedicated to ORV usage. When I contacted them to get some information the guy told me that they do not allow sport ATVs or dirt bikes on their property. When I asked why his response was that the typical riders of these machines are disrespectful and rides way to fast. However they do allow people to ride utility ATVs and side by sides out there. I would usually not get all up in arms about this but this one struck me for some reason. First of all a utility ATV is quite capable of going fast, and they tend to tear more stuff up faster than a sport ATV. Second of all SMORR main draw is to the rock crawler and off roader crowd, now these rigs tear stuff up and well let’s face it they can are quite capable of going much faster than a sport ATV since the motors in these beasts would give some drag cars a run for their money. The upsetting thing to me is that this place is stereo typing the sport ATV riders and dirt bike riders as these awful people. I own both a Sport ATV and a utility, my riding style does not change between the two. I think that what bothers me most about the whole thing is the discrimination from our own. We face enough discrimination from other people, who want to take our riding areas, and people who view the whole riding community as dangerous, or punks. To face discrimination from people who ride or supply areas to ride on, based on what type of machine you operate is not right. I prefer to ride my 400ex not because it is fast or can tear stuff up, but rather the fact that it is more challenging than my 4x4 ATV, it takes more skill to do some of same things on a 2wd ATV than on a 4x4 version. The other thing that bothers me is the fact the one of the guys that I ride with only owns a 400ex and he rides the same way I do, but because he rides a sport ATV they will not allow him to ride out there. This is not fair to him, and when you own and operate a business you have cannot discriminate for any cause, trust me I know I have been in business for myself for a number of years.
I understand that we as a group face many obstacles, the loss of riding areas is just one of them, discrimination another. However I would rather see the Southwest Missouri Off Road Ranch (SMORR), stop allowing ATVs to ride there all together rather than further their discrimination of sport ATVs and the people who ride them. My feeling is that they either need to open the gates to all ATV riders or none. My preference is none compared to allowing certain types of ATVs to operate there. I understand that it is their property and their rules but it is after all illegal to discriminate. If you feel as I do and think that this needs changing please contact the SMORR by using this web address for their contact us and leave them a note saying how you feel. I think that if enough of us voice our opinion then they will either stop allowing ATV period or allow sport ATVs and dirt bikes either way the discrimination would end.

http://smorr.net/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3 (SMORR Contact us)

:mad: