View Full Version : starting point

poke99
03-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi all, I am going to add a Hotcams stage 1 and an HRC airbox lid to my bike, where should I start the jetting at for my specs below?

Also is there 3 jets to work with or just the main and Pilot (slow jet correct)?

2004 Honda 450r
Pro Circuit T-4 slip on
Hotcams Satge 1 cam
HRC cutout airbox lid

I am in PA at approx 2000 ft

Thanks again all

03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
185 main
Move clip on needle down 1 slot in turn raising the needle.
Up 1 size on the pilot. I can't remember the stock size

600rrpilot
03-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
185 main
Move clip on needle down 1 slot in turn raising the needle.
Up 1 size on the pilot. I can't remember the stock size

Im not jacking your thread just figured since i had a similar question i would insert it into yours to avoid clutter.

trx450r_racer what do you think about my issue....

04 450 w 13:1 wiseco piston, HRC cam, Open air box w UNI foam filter, Sparks Full exhaust system. in nj about sea level but will be racing in pa mostly.

just bought it and it starts and idle's like crap. right now the main is a 195 (WOW!?) the needle which im assuming is not stock is on the middle notch, the pilot screw is 3 turns out, and i ddidnt get to the pilot jet to see what it is yet. sometimes it'll start on the 2nd kick sometimes it takes 10 kicks. When its hot and stalls on idle it will take forever to get started. when im riding the thing RIP'S! tons of power. the carb was filthy so i cleaned that and i know i have to adjust the decompression but other then that what should i start out with carb wise?

03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 600rrpilot
Im not jacking your thread just figured since i had a similar question i would insert it into yours to avoid clutter.

trx450r_racer what do you think about my issue....

04 450 w 13:1 wiseco piston, HRC cam, Open air box w UNI foam filter, Sparks Full exhaust system. in nj about sea level but will be racing in pa mostly.

just bought it and it starts and idle's like crap. right now the main is a 195 (WOW!?) the needle which im assuming is not stock is on the middle notch, the pilot screw is 3 turns out, and i ddidnt get to the pilot jet to see what it is yet. sometimes it'll start on the 2nd kick sometimes it takes 10 kicks. When its hot and stalls on idle it will take forever to get started. when im riding the thing RIP'S! tons of power. the carb was filthy so i cleaned that and i know i have to adjust the decompression but other then that what should i start out with carb wise?

The main sounds a little big, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it starting. When you start it the only jet in use is the pilot jet.
If the air/fuel screw is that far out I woul bet you have a stock pilot jet. I would check and see. If it is stock I would go up one size.
It sounds like you need either a valve adjustment or a valve job depending on how bad they are.
If it was my quad I would check the pilot and since you are 3/4 of the way there I would adjust the valves also. If you do that I think you will find your problem.

600rrpilot
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
The main sounds a little big, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it starting. When you start it the only jet in use is the pilot jet.
If the air/fuel screw is that far out I woul bet you have a stock pilot jet. I would check and see. If it is stock I would go up one size.
It sounds like you need either a valve adjustment or a valve job depending on how bad they are.
If it was my quad I would check the pilot and since you are 3/4 of the way there I would adjust the valves also. If you do that I think you will find your problem.

im going to try and find the pilot jet tonight but i dont really know where it is located. I checked the valves last night and they are spot on. no problem there. And I dont see me having a valve seat problem since there is no issue with power.

just got back from the local shop and tonight im dropping the main jet to 175...air/fuel screw to 2 turns out. checking the pilot, and replacing the plug which is BLACK and going from there. unless you have another suggestion

thanks!

03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
If the valves and the decompression lever are good the only other thing is to make sure the carb is clean.
Maybe you should drain the tank and start with fresh fuel.

pro-rider46
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
hey poke99, just curious if you sent the money order out yet. i have the cam all cleaned and ready for shipping.

poke99
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
sent the money order out today. you should get it Friday or Sat.

You don't happen to have a 13 tooth sprocket do you?

d3ktrix
03-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 600rrpilot
im going to try and find the pilot jet tonight but i dont really know where it is located. I checked the valves last night and they are spot on. no problem there. And I dont see me having a valve seat problem since there is no issue with power.

just got back from the local shop and tonight im dropping the main jet to 175...air/fuel screw to 2 turns out. checking the pilot, and replacing the plug which is BLACK and going from there. unless you have another suggestion

thanks!

You shouldn't be any lower then a 180MJ, esp in NJ, we are almost sea level. And its still cold out.
Your probably in the 185-190 range right now.
Then in the summer u could drop down to a 180-185.

The starting problem is probably the pilot jet.

pro-rider46
03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by poke99
sent the money order out today. you should get it Friday or Sat.

You don't happen to have a 13 tooth sprocket do you?

cool cool. i have a 13, but they are only about 20 bucks brand new. you might as well go buy a new one. if you go to a decent place to buy one you can get them as low as 12 bucks.

600rrpilot
03-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
You shouldn't be any lower then a 180MJ, esp in NJ, we are almost sea level. And its still cold out.
Your probably in the 185-190 range right now.
Then in the summer u could drop down to a 180-185.

The starting problem is probably the pilot jet.

yea i was thinking that right now actually. but heres what happened last night. stripped it down and dug into the carb again. like previously stated it had a 195 main, needle on 3rd, and pilot screw 3 turns out, and now i know it has a 48 slow jet.

so i threw a new jet in on the same 3rd clip, replaced the 195 with a 175 main, and added a msr mixture (pilot) screw backed out 2 turns. left the 48 slow. so it stands now.....175 main, 48 slow, 3rd needle clip, n pilot 2 turns out.

then went back into the valves. double checked the clearances and everything checked out again. except i paid more attention to the decomp clearance. took my 011" feeler and put it between the rocker arm a exhaust valve shim, then took my 006" and put it between the decomp screw and top of the rocker arm. waaaay off. much too big a gap. so i tightened her up down onto the feeler. also replaced the jet black spark plug for a shiny new one properly gapped of course. added the fuel tank and she fired right up on the 2nd kick and idled like a champ rev'd up no popping on decel...no stumble except once cause i left the fuel off by mistake :huh ...starts up on the first kick every time now. so i think it was a combo between the pilot screw too far out, a fouled plug, and a badly mis adjusted decomp.

so i think im all set but how about my jetting? leave it as is for now? or throw at least a 180 main in there?

poke99
03-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't call that "jacking" a thread at all.......lol

d3ktrix
03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
You still need to go bigger on the main jet.

A 175 in an 04 with the air box lid off is lean no matter what.

pro-rider46
03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by poke99
I wouldn't call that "jacking" a thread at all.......lol

hey poke, we just recieved the M.O. today, and im pretty sure we are shipping the cam tommorow. thanks

poke99
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Cool, I'll be waiting for it. Thanks again