PDA

View Full Version : removing my throttle

JohnT_98300EX
03-12-2008, 05:50 AM
So I finally get around to changing the bent bars on my EX. The switch cluster, clutch lever, and brake lever were no sweat. Of course the phillips screws under the throttle assembly are stripped. Why should it be easy?
I was thinking I could slot the screw head, then heat and cool the screw?
Is there any such thing as a decent screw extractor?
All I can see is having to either drill and tap what will be left of broken screws or buying a new throttle.
Why in the world did they not use hex heads instead of phillips screws?

bwamos
03-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Because philips screws made out of butter are cheaper. LOL.

I slotted mine a bit to use a phillips to get off. Dont overslot, they are wimpy screws and the head will peel off if you do a full slot. Just do enough to get a smaller flat head in there. You can also try to hammer a square drive driver in there to get it loose.

I replaced mine with 2 torx head stainless steel screws.

Honda has great quads w/ really crappy bolts/screws.. lol.

JohnT_98300EX
03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I bought this as a running fixer upper so I have been tinkering but this is the first time that I have run into anything bad on this quad. Most bolts are into a welded nut, most stuff is where it can be gotten to, pretty good stuff.
But like you said, butter tough screws and they just seize into the cast throttle. And by the way, that cast part is $37 at the Honda shop.
Thanks for the tip on not over slotting. I was just going to hacksaw a slot all the way across. And now that you mention it, that would eliminate most of the screw head,,,,,,,,